It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whale Shark Rescue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

WHALE SHARK RESCUE - November 7, 2012, diving aboard the Solmar V (www.solmarv.com) at Roca Partida, near Socorro Island, about 250 miles south of Baja, Mexico. During the first dive of the morning, we came upon a mature whale shark in some amount of distress due to a large rope cinched around it's girth. It must have been there for some time, as the rope was encrusted with barnacles, and was cutting deeply into the flesh of the shark. On the second dive of the morning, we located the same whale shark once again, and with Eddy (dive guest) on the scene with his "Go Pro" camera, we were able to memorialize the rescue. In the video you will see Dave (dive guide) approach the shark from the front, and Dani (dive guide) swim to the shark from above. You will see Dani successfully cut the rope loose, freeing the shark which slowly swims away. At the end, you will see Eddy's wife, Gina, knuckle-bump Dani, as we all celebrate together. We brought the rope back to the boat, and found it was about 2 inches in diameter, so perhaps an anchor or mooring line? How it got wrapped around the shark is a mystery.

Source: You Tube via Ritholz.com

My heart went out to that poor shark when I watched the video. It is so sad that such a magnificent creature had to suffer from our flotsam and jetsam, but thank goodness it was found and untangled!

Some more information on this beautiful creature.

Wikipedia: Whale Shark
About.com: Facts About Whale Sharks
BBC Nature: Whale Shark

edit on 27/11/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I saw this last night. I felt the same way and wondered how many poor animals don't get help before it is to late.
I'm so glad she got help.
But thinking about all the others is very depressing.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
ouchie baby.... im happy tho that he or she was found and set free. and i hope her wounds heal in time .

i saw the marks on her whale sharks are literally a gentle giant of the sea..

thank you Puterman for adding this .. it made my day..

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Amazing! To see this creature alone I assume is rare, to help one would just be mind blowing.

Thank you for sharing.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Wow, amazing bit of footage. I'm glad the shark was able to be helped; and it's soooooo cool that this can be videoed and shared like this. S and F for you!

top topics

join