It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CERN's Large Hadron Collider Reveals New Type of Matter

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by john_bmth
reply to post by happykat39

1) "It's complicated therefore it must have been designed"
2) "We can't fully explain it therefore it must have been designed"

The logical integrity of your argument is fatally compromised by these two fallacies.

Evidence for evolution: overwhelming
Evidence for designer: none

Anyway, all of this is com

There is plenty of evidence for intelligent design but apparently you haven't seen any of it yet.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Then by all means post your "evidence" in the dedicated Origins & Creationism forum. This thread is in the Science & Technology forum and is about the LHC, not whatever religion or creation myth you happen to subscribe to.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by FuturePeace
reply to post by new_here

people had the same fears when we first tried to harness electricity

Good point. Also with nuclear power. Well... that one is still troubling, what with the aging reactors...

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
I think apple should buy the new matter name and call it iMatter

my uncle beat them and now its my auntymatter

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I think the CERN scientist touched upon something very fundamental and important for understanding "the rest". This is a very intuitive comment so do not ask me for proof or other explanations. I do not understand squat of fysics....well..just a little.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

I like how they say they discovered a new type of matter. Doesnt mean that it matters
.. huh huh see what i did there

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

The thing is... IS humanity worth our species survival, by what we find. If we somehow unleash some crazy particle.. ya know? We may not live to talk about it.

I once theorized the existence of a particle which would have infinite energy.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by john_bmth

Then by all means post your "evidence" in the dedicated Origins & Creationism forum. This thread is in the Science & Technology forum and is about the LHC, not whatever religion or creation myth you happen to subscribe to.

You are one of the people keeping this discussion going so get the heck off my back. And this is the last response I will make to you.

I believe one thing based on my studies and you believe another so let's just leave it at that before it gets out of hand and one or both of us gets swatted down by a mod. Obviously I am not going to convince you and you sure are not going to convince me.

edit on 28-11-2012 by happykat39 because: Added last sentence

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123

...But you can't use the same measuring stick to measure thickness of a hair (or atom etc.). We try to get "information" from quantum physics experiments, but we already exceeded the limit to be able to get any information. This would be another scenario - the question here would be is there still an "absolute" reality, beyond what we can "process".

That was a well-explained point of view.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
um, so have we made time travel possible yet or what? ^^ what happend to those mini black holes, when are we going to make a bigger one and throw all our trash in it. is this dark mater or just some matter they have never seen/documented?

just kidding the black hole would eventualy eat our planet but would be cool none the less ^^

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Money for nothing and the quarks are free. CERN is the largest scientific fraud since Einstein. Complete nonsense.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by happykat39

I simply stated that it takes more faith to believe in evolution.

Okay, I'm sorry if I misrepresented your statement. I don't agree though and find it hard to see why people say that, it seems self-evident to me that belieivng in the bible takes way more faith than accepting the validity of a theory based on evidence from observationn and experiment, and saying otherwise doesn't seem justified at all, it's just a rhetorical device that amounts to 'yeah and so are you'.
BUT, we should stop this discussion as it's a little off the topic of particle physics.
To contribute (slightly) to the subject, this quote demonstrates where my understanding of particle physics begins and promptly dies a horrible puzzled death...

"First there are the so-called leptons (from the Greek, meaning light) consisiting of the electron, the muon, the taon and their respective neutrinos. All of these have antiparticles. Then there are the six quarks: up, down, top, bottom, charm and strange. All of these, too, have an antiparticle twin. Then there are the hadrons, made up of groups of quarks: mesons, which contain two quarks: such as the pion, kaon, and J/Psi; and baryons, which have three, such as our favourite proton and neutron - as well as more exotic creatures such as the Sigma (two up quarks and one strange quark) and the charmed Sigma (two down quarks and one charm quark). Confused? Oh, wait - I forgot the gauge bosons of the electromagnetic, strong and weak forces: the photon, the gluon, the W and the Z."

edit on 28-11-2012 by delusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by delusion

To contribute (slightly) to the subject, this quote demonstrates where my understanding of particle physics begins and promptly dies a horrible puzzled death...

I have a feeling that more than a few physicists are in the same boat with you. Otherwise they might not have needed to build CERN.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Does anyone believe that anything positive will be forthcoming from the LHCs work?. Im sure it is an amazing thing they are doing within those sacred halls, but, I also know there will be no benefits to the common man in anything they find, achieve or create. What there will be are new weapons and a multitude of classified information that elevates the elite to the god like status they think they merit.

So much money spent on high end boys and their toys....Better off feeding the starving, curing the ill and safeguarding this planet we live on.
edit on 28-11-2012 by captiva because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by captiva

I believe the work they are doing is the most important work humanity has ever embarked on. Just my opinion though. Here is some info on what LHC is being used for.

source:public.web.cern.ch...

Newton's unfinished business...
What is mass?

What is the origin of mass? Why do tiny particles weigh the amount they do? Why do some particles have no mass at all? At present, there are no established answers to these questions. The most likely explanation may be found in the Higgs boson, a key undiscovered particle that is essential for the Standard Model to work. First hypothesised in 1964, it has yet to be observed.

The ATLAS and CMS experiments will be actively searching for signs of this elusive particle.

An invisible problem...
What is 96% of the universe made of?

Everything we see in the Universe, from an ant to a galaxy, is made up of ordinary particles. These are collectively referred to as matter, forming 4% of the Universe. Dark matter and dark energy are believed to make up the remaining proportion, but they are incredibly difficult to detect and study, other than through the gravitational forces they exert. Investigating the nature of dark matter and dark energy is one of the biggest challenges today in the fields of particle physics and cosmology.

The ATLAS and CMS experiments will look for supersymmetric particles to test a likely hypothesis for the make-up of dark matter.

Nature's favouritism...
Why is there no more antimatter?

We live in a world of matter – everything in the Universe, including ourselves, is made of matter. Antimatter is like a twin version of matter, but with opposite electric charge. At the birth of the Universe, equal amounts of matter and antimatter should have been produced in the Big Bang. But when matter and antimatter particles meet, they annihilate each other, transforming into energy. Somehow, a tiny fraction of matter must have survived to form the Universe we live in today, with hardly any antimatter left. Why does Nature appear to have this bias for matter over antimatter?

The LHCb experiment will be looking for differences between matter and antimatter to help answer this question. Previous experiments have already observed a tiny behavioural difference, but what has been seen so far is not nearly enough to account for the apparent matter–antimatter imbalance in the Universe.

Secrets of the Big Bang
What was matter like within the first second of the Universe’s life?

Matter, from which everything in the Universe is made, is believed to have originated from a dense and hot cocktail of fundamental particles. Today, the ordinary matter of the Universe is made of atoms, which contain a nucleus composed of protons and neutrons, which in turn are made of quarks bound together by other particles called gluons. The bond is very strong, but in the very early Universe conditions would have been too hot and energetic for the gluons to hold the quarks together. Instead, it seems likely that during the first microseconds after the Big Bang the Universe would have contained a very hot and dense mixture of quarks and gluons called quark–gluon plasma.

The ALICE experiment will use the LHC to recreate conditions similar to those just after the Big Bang, in particular to analyse the properties of the quark-gluon plasma.

Hidden worlds…
Do extra dimensions of space really exist?

Einstein showed that the three dimensions of space are related to time. Subsequent theories propose that further hidden dimensions of space may exist; for example, string theory implies that there are additional spatial dimensions yet to be observed. These may become detectable at very high energies, so data from all the detectors will be carefully analysed to look for signs of extra dimensions.

edit on 11/28/2012 by mcx1942 because: edited

edit on 11/28/2012 by mcx1942 because: ditto

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by captiva

Does anyone believe that anything positive will be forthcoming from the LHCs work?. Im sure it is an amazing thing they are doing within those sacred halls, but, I also know there will be no benefits to the common man in anything they find, achieve or create. What there will be are new weapons and a multitude of classified information that elevates the elite to the god like status they think they merit.

So much money spent on high end boys and their toys....Better off feeding the starving, curing the ill and safeguarding this planet we live on.
edit on 28-11-2012 by captiva because: (no reason given)

Most of the modern marvels we enjoy in today's world started out as "pure science" research. Quantum physics gave us the SQUID or Superconducting Quantum Interference Device without which we wouldn't have magnetic resonance imaging or MRI.

Research on the effect changes in gravity have on time (raising an atomic clock as little as a few feet will change it's rate enough to detect) enabled us to compensate for that effect or we wouldn't have GPS systems that actually work.

There is so much more that I don't have time to look up and enumerate. But suffice it to say that pure research has given us much more than just new weapons.
edit on 28-11-2012 by happykat39 because: clarified a point

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Relevant to psuedo-scientific fears about dire consequences from turning on the LHC, is the existence of cosmic rays. These bombard us all the time from every angle, and are basically doing more than the LHC could all the time.
They are sometimes evident as a flash when our eyes are closed (I think).

From 'It's Not Rocket Science' By Ben Miller (one half of the Armstrong and Miller sketch show) -

The LHC can accelerate a proton up to energies equivalent to around ten thousand times its rest mass: the fastest-moving cosmic rays have energies of about ten thousand million proton rest masses...
They bombard the earth from every concievable angle and with a vast range of energies...
The highest-energy ones are assumed to be coming from outside the galaxy, and there is no known process that can create them. It is as if, somewehere out there in the furthest reaches of the universe, there was the most colossal particle acclerator in Creation...
On their arrival in the upper atmosphere, cosmic rays collide with the molecules of the air, producing showers of new particles in exactly the same way as proton-proton collisions do in the LHC. If you like, you can think of the Earth as being one huge collision experiment that has been running for roughly 4.6 billion years. The very first discoveries in particle physics were made not in man-made accelerators, but in so-called 'cloud chambers' at the tops of mountains where the product off cosmic ray collisions were plentiful.
So when some wonk in Hawaii thinks that the relatively puny collisions of the LHC might cause a microscopic black hole that will devour the planet, or that some scary hypothetical thing like a stranglet or a magnetic monopole might suddenly leap into existence and start munching its way through Geneva airport, we can be sure he doesn't really know his physics...
To summarise: (i) the Universe exists; (ii) the Universe is constantly bombarded with every particle in Creation. It is therefore a racing certainty that (iii) no particle in Creation is capable of destroying the Universe. Not a certainty; science never provides us with those. But a probability so close to a certainty that no sane person would ever bet against it.

I think a girl in India actually committed suicide because of the fear that the world would be destroyed by this. The people who tried to get that injunction to stop the LHC have blood on their hands; ignorance can be a tragic thing.
edit on 28-11-2012 by delusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ibiubu
Money for nothing and the quarks are free. CERN is the largest scientific fraud since Einstein. Complete nonsense.

Please do share the extensive research you have conducted that has led you to have this interesting and informative point of view.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
At the heart of all matter is vibration or frequency, even thoughts have a frequency. I n the 70 s I remember
reading about how scientists had found that thoughts affected plants . Dr. Emoto did experiments to show that
thoughts and words affected the crystal structure of water, and its purity.

Experiments in quantum mechanics shocked many fathers of the field.....Werner Heisenberg,Wolfgang Pauli, Niels ,
B ohr,Erwin Schrodinger, Sir James Jeans..... They realized it was impossible to separate the experimenter
from the experiment and to explain reality without consciousness.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
OOps. Hit awrong button

So if everything is connected on this vibrational level how are we affecting are health -the placebo affect-
and how are we affecting the planet- weather , etc.- ? It seems to me that quantum physics and quantum
mechanics are bring science and spirituality together. Can t have one without the other

This may be the explanation of the meaning behind 2012, if enough people had positive thoughts how would
this change our world. The end of the world " as we know it ". Quantum mechanics may bring about more
than just technological changes

Some books that put this into layman s terms are;

The Biology of Belief: Unleashing the Power of Consciousness, Matter and MiraclesAl
by Bruce Lipton Ph.D.

Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon s Journey into the Afterlife
by Eben Alexander M.D.

Also try googling Dr. Emoto, Neils Bohr, Werner Heisenberg, etc.

running with the wolves

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join