It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Almost One Third of America Now Lives in Poverty

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Lemme get this straight.

Whomever controls the House, gets the blame?

NO...not just the GOP who hold the House hostage...I would include the GOP at large...

We have been studying Washington politics and Congress for more than 40 years, and never have we seen them this dysfunctional. In our past writings, we have criticized both parties when we believed it was warranted. Today, however, we have no choice but to acknowledge that the core of the problem lies with the Republican Party.

The GOP has become an insurgent outlier in American politics. It is ideologically extreme; scornful of compromise; unmoved by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science; and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition.

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

So from 06 to 2010, the House was run by the democrats, but it was bush's fault.

But now with a second term democrat as president, a Senate run by democrats, it's the republicans fault.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

reply to post by Indigo5

You guy are in charge now. have been for the past 4 years as well.

Let's see watcha' got!

huh?...no bill is put into law without the republican house voting for it...let's not do stupid here, ok?

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

reply to post by Indigo5

Let's see watcha' got!

huh?...no bill is put into law without the republican house voting for it...let's not do stupid here, ok?

But your president is in cha-arge!

It's all yours baby!

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

reply to post by Indigo5

So from 06 to 2010, the House was run by the democrats, but it was bush's fault.

But now with a second term democrat as president, a Senate run by democrats, it's the republicans fault.

just look at the number of filibusters by each house...it'll tell you the difference without any opinion from me as far as economic bills to get this country moving again. i blame the democrats for going along with the bush tax cuts on the 2%, i blame the democrats for going along with bush on the war in Iraq.
you are creating an arguement, where there is none.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

reply to post by Indigo5

Lord...you mean from January 07 to the end of 09? Is fudging math a requisite of the RNC?

Secondly...that period was marked by more filibustering than any other time our 250 year history. The majority was not sufficient to move legislation.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Just trying to find a democrat that will take ownership.

Now that Obama is in, things will get better, right?

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

reply to post by Indigo5

Lord...you mean from January 07 to the end of 09? Is fudging math a requisite of the RNC?

Secondly...that period was marked by more filibustering than any other time our 250 year history. The majority was not sufficient to move legislation.

Sorry. From 07 to 09. Mea Culpa.

That's correct. The democrats were in charge of the House. caveat all you want. They were in charge.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by winterkill

You want to see poverty. Go to an famine ridden African country.. Stop winging and crying about people in the US starving unless they are looking like this...

For about 5% of the worlds population you still consume about 20% of world resources.. I am sure you have problems but keep it in perspective.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

reply to post by Indigo5

Let's see watcha' got!

It's all yours baby!

do you work for the iranian government? or the chinese? maybe ATS is a breeding ground that fosters civil unrest in america from outside sources. so many posts are promoting dysfunction in our government.it seems alot of people are openly and aggressively promoting the idea that there is such a wide chasm on what americans truly want their country to be, that the very function of governance grinds to a halt.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

I said I own my own home.. hence no mortgage bills or big monthly payments. I bought it 10 years ago before I left working for someone else all my life. I had money saved and do save every year. The house is a condo and it was cheap 10 years ago about 25.000 dollars.

I buy everything for pennies on the dollar shopping around. I don't use cash a lot - I trade my time and services for goods or services I need. ( I have many skills) I don't use banks, I don't borrow. I buy things slightly used or refurbished if I need a warranty. I can easily work 40 hours a week making between 20 to 30 dollars an hour - I did that for over 20 years ( I'm 44 now) . Then I got smart and learned how to live better without killing myself. Now, I only work when I want to or need to. If you play your cards right, anyone can have everything they want or need with very few. bills.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
reply to post by winterkill

You want to see poverty. Go to an famine ridden African country.. Stop winging and crying about people in the US starving unless they are looking like this...

For about 5% of the worlds population you still consume about 20% of world resources.. I am sure you have problems but keep it in perspective.

i've seen this for the last 50 years, and until africa starts taking seriously some type of birth control, the world will see this for the next 50 years

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

reply to post by Indigo5

Let's see watcha' got!

It's all yours baby!

do you work for the iranian government? or the chinese? maybe ATS is a breeding ground that fosters civil unrest in america from outside sources. so many posts are promoting dysfunction in our government.it seems alot of people are openly and aggressively promoting the idea that there is such a wide chasm on what americans truly want their country to be, that the very function of governance grinds to a halt.

I realy don't understand all the anger. The democrats won. Obama got term version 2.0(bama)
YOU WON!

(YAY!)

so things will get all better, right? 'Cause your guy won! If Romney would have won, then it would have been bad. But Obama won so it'll be good!

Why are you guys so damned angry?

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

I am a fierce capitalist, love the free market, but what we have had for the past 30 years is not a free market,

As one of the greatest champions for regulation,social engineering, and living wage garbage is the anti thesis of free market principles.

Raise the taxes on the rich?

Anti free market

All the antimostity for Republicans, and the Koch brothers agian is anti capitalist

The free market died with the creation of the federal reserve,and anti trust laws, and all the regulation in between.

That right there is the reason for 1/3 living in poverty, "government is here to save people, make things fair", but for those who having been paying attention, and not living la la land know.

As the power of government increased there has been a corresponding rise in the poverty level.
edit on 27-11-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
What exactly is this poverty thing, anyway? An arbitrary (and therefore meaningless) line on an income scale? Just about every American I know living "below the line" isn't starving. They all have clothes on their backs, roofs over their heads, cars in the garage, cellphones charging, refrigerators running, and big screen flat-panel televisions tuned in to American Idol or some other stupifying garbage--all considered luxuries in many parts of the world.

So what is it then? I don't see any real material poverty in this country, but unfortunately there does seem to be a disheartening amount of spiritual poverty.
edit on 11/27/12 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

i've seen this for the last 50 years, and until africa starts taking seriously some type of birth control, the world will see this for the next 50 years

Maybe if the OP is correct. You should be taking more birth control in the US too....?

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

I am not going to run to the Mods, but enough with the personal attacks. Grow the ef up. Make your case another way.
edit on 27-11-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

You are confusing free-market with Plutocrasy.....Plutocrasy is not capitalism just like communism is not capitalism.

Plutocrasy
: government by the wealthy

: a controlling class of the wealthy

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

I am not going to run to the Mods, but enough with the personal attacks. Grow the ef up. Make your case another way.

Yep some people do need to "grow up"

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Back to 1/3 of Americans living in poverty.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by Indigo5

Yep some people do need to "grow up"

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Back to 1/3 of Americans living in poverty.

You mean where you claimed that Jamie Fox literally believed that President Obama was Jesus Christ and wasn't making a joke?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join