It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schrodinger's Cat Solved

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by neoholographic

Let me get this straight. At any given moment in time, there's a hundred universes filtering in among each other like a hundred different layers of sand sifting through water, and as time passes, more layers of sand are added and more disappear. And as you make your choices, the layers of sand change color (or change timelines) to match the universe (or layer) you've entered.

Or something like that. Right?

And then other people's "layers" coincide with yours according to the matched choices of your timelines. So conceivably, there's a thousand different universes we could be in, and it's even arguable that only our minds exist - our bodies are simply vessels by which to exhibit a material existence in any given universe.

So in reality, we're only awareness. We're just minds floating along an infinite string of bodies in infinite universes, our course determined by our choices. That's the entirety of our being, according to this theory. Sorry if I did a bad job of explaining it.

edit on 27-11-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

From our perspective there appears to be the illusion of probability which compels us to to make radioactive cat experiments...

What I find interesting is that there is this apparent struggle between chaos and order in terms of how we perceive the universe to work...sometimes we perceive it to be chaotic with probability such as the Schrodinger's Cat...sometimes we perceive it to be orderly and exact such as the laws of physics dictate...

IF one could calculate all the variables (probably infinite) needed one would know without observation or measurement what the outcome of cat was. This implies a linear destiny to all things...

Take a game of pool for example. If you break the balls it is easy to assume that one cannot conclude where everything will end up...implying "anything is possible" in which we assume yet again that all possibilities must simultaneously exist until they "collapse" into a result...the problem with this is that it is possible to measure/calculate the forces/trajectories involved to determine what the outcome will be....

Even flipping a coin some would perceive as being 50-50 and either possibility must be equally present until "consequently" one happens...however if one were to take and make all the appropriate measurements in said event (which isn't humanly possible) the odds would be 100-0.

This is more of an experiment in perception of reality than it is an experiment of how reality works...

Although I personally find the holographic universe theory appealing I hesitate to conclude anything.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

^^^^^^

what he said

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

an important aspect of this subject, which can be so easily (you have) overlooked is that quantum mechanics does not talk about probabilities ....

...it talks about....QUANTUM SUPERPOSITION.

this is very similar to typical probability theory with the added essential and easily proven aspect that....

....light can interfere with (and cancel out completely) itself.

this is not some esoteric quality. I am sure that you,yourself have observed it many times. but here is the real clincher.....

....do you find it strange, the use of the word "itself" in that above statement about light? we do not typically describe billiard-ball probabilities in terms of "selfs". what do you suppose it means?

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

You reference determinism. You gave the analogy of a pool table. You said that if we could calculate all of the changes in direction and velocity and the precise surface of the table and the currents of air and pressure above and the various textures of the balls and their masses and all of the other conditions that we could see with 100 percent odds what the result will be when the balls are broke.

But that's not reality. I think Quantum Mechanics says that, broadly, there's a limiting factor which restricts determinism. Basically, there's a 99.99999999999 (give or take) percent chance AT BEST that our most precise SINGULAR calculations will be proven true. There's always that small variance in the environment that prevents perfect calculations! Now when you combine MANY of these calculations what happens is that this (seemingly) small imperfection becomes amplified and it becomes exponentially large and, essentially, prevents any form of determinism from taking place. The reason this is significant is because everything on the classical level (including us) is massively complex and thus you have all of these interacting masses and energies amplifying the small quantum jumpiness and thus preventing us from ever seeing our future with firmness.

What's ironic is that many people have said that determinism on steroids would completely destroy free will since whatever we happen to be could be directly linked to countless preceding states and our future would be set without the ability to ever change it. These people very much enjoy that determinism (on that level) has been ruled out by quantum mechanics. The problem I see is that with this input of random turbulence (via quantum fluctuations) it absolutely prevents us from predicting the future. Basically, we're completely at the mercy of these fluctuations and have no capability to ever overcome the limitations they enforce on us. When you look at this issue broadly, what it means is that our level of control over this reality has been greatly reduced. Now, from my perspective, anything that reduces control also reduces free will. Why should it not? It's imposing a strict limit on our ability to see into the past and the future. As a result of this, we're not dumb because we made a bad choice, instead we're dumb because we CAN'T make a better choice. Isn't it ironic?

Ever heard "Gambling is not a strategy"? That's what I'm highlighting here. Randomness is not a choice. It's fate. Free will is about choice, not fate. We are our choices, not randomness.

What it boils down to is that, in reality, we're the combination of choice and randomness.

It's not perfect free will if free will is solely about choices and not fate. But this shouldn't be surprising. People are idealistic about free will. Idealism is syrupy and rarely truthful.

What I see is this:
Strict Randomness Strict Determinism.

On either end free will suffers. In the mid-range it's a mix of fate and choice.
edit on 27-11-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

but really, although I appreciate much of what you've said, you made the same mistake as him.

quantum probability is computed differently than gambling-probability. phase-space interference.

this is essential. it is this fact alone which endows QM with its bizarre characteristics.

ETA: what you are talking about is strictly chaos theory (lyapunov exponent).
edit on 27-11-2012 by tgidkp because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by tgidkp
reply to post by jonnywhite

but really, although I appreciate much of what you've said, you made the same mistake as him.

quantum probability is computed differently than gambling-probability. phase-space interference.

this is essential. it is this fact alone which endows QM with its bizarre characteristics.

ETA: what you are talking about is strictly chaos theory (lyapunov exponent).
edit on 27-11-2012 by tgidkp because: (no reason given)

hes talking about this,, hes talking about that

what are you talking about then?

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I don't know about all that but I know this much.

So, I decided to post this post right now. However, What if I decided to not post this post right now? What would I be doing other than posting this post right now? Because if I chose to not post this post right now, I would be without a doubt doing something else or maybe even posting something else in another thread right now?

With that being said, Is the other $heopleNation posting on another thread, or maybe browsing some other forum? I dunno, but I believe this is all some how connected to the deja vu experience.

Anyway, That's about all. Course, in another Universe or dimension maybe that's not all I had to say? Gotta consider that as well. I dunno though.
~$heopleNation

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by neoholographic

Originally posted by KrzYma

NO, it is in a state you don't know until you look inside. this state is NOT both!
you just call it a superposition because you don't know, leak of knowledge doesn't make it being both at the same time !!!

In the double slit experiment, if you shoot one photon at a time at the double slit, the one photon creates an interference pattern. Again, you don't just call it superposition, that's what it is. Quantum computers are built based on superposition.

you know what, why don't we screw this MSM experiments for the plebs and have a look at physics

the EM interference and how it is created

which is exactly the same physics like this

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join