It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you still including fitness in your preps?

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Yes i can hear the groans.

Just wondered how many here were still remembering to employ a decent fitness routine to thier prepping plan?

Maybe it's not so much a "prep", more a case of just something you do anyway?

Whether a daily walk round your local area, or something a little more intense, are you still keeping in shape so if you do need to call upon your fitness for unplanned tasks or more, you are at least capable?

I must admit i totally suck at this. Don't get me wrong, whilst i could lose a few pounds, i'm never majorly out of shape, i just love my food and theres just not as much persuasion to run my ass off any more since i left the forces. However it's the fact that i used to be so fit, that keeps me motivated to never let my shape slide too much. I think once you set yourself a standard, it's hard to forget it.

Anway i'm getting back into it again, i do have a back and ankle injury that affects what i can do, but having a few extra pounds affects those injuries too. So time to sort it out and step it up a notch. I like walking in the woods, cycling and weights at home. Have a pull up bar in the house which gets used each time i pass it too.

It's not hard really, we can find time to sit on ATS for an hour a day, or watch TV, but not do something that will stop us coming to a standstill one day?

No point in having a bug out bag if you collapse under the strain or get wheezy trying to carry it a mile.

Any fave routines? Any tips for beginners you'd like to pass on? There may be people who are new to this and don't know where to start.

CX.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Pretty crap preperation if you don't. Better yet, include fitness in your life.

CX

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
Pretty crap preperation if you don't.

You'd think.

Yet you only have to look around to see it's probably the last thing on peoples minds.

CX.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   
not as preps... but part of routine have followed since childhood ... up at 0400 practice tai chi , aikido , iajutsu .. then grab bath .. take cha and watch the sunrise ... also no car (no roads out here .. ) so travel by foot .. when downriver my sons will sometimes rent me a car or let me borrow theirs but prefer to walk ...

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Yeah I do.

I walk or run at least 3 miles a day, sometimes with a light BOB on, depending on how I feel.

That or a good trudge over t'hills up here in t'North.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

What fitness??

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Best fitness prep is to grab your BOB and head out on the weekends, then maybe do a longer one in the holidays.

It lets you test all your gear, gain experience and also probably some modesty as you get a realistic idea of what your capable of. Best to test yourself now while society is still capable of answering to your EPIRB or distress signal.

While your doing all this...you get exercise in all the right muscles you'll need and you also build your general cardiovascular fitness.

Being out in the wilderness sure beats being stuck on a treadmill any day!

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I think I'll need a little fat to stay alive when rationing food

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

I agree, physical and mental fitness are overlooked all too easily.

If you have children, especially, it is very important to maintain a relatively healthy lifestyle - and not just for SHTF situations, either.

I do consider fitness to be a part of my "prep kit" because I have three children that I may need to carry at various times in an emergency situation. By incorporating workouts into my everyday routine, I exercise without even thinking about it. I do start every morning with some kind of workout, even if it's just working outside in my yard or bench pressing my kids while playing. I work a 40 hour week, but spend my breaks outside walking. I even eat my lunch while walking.
The fresh air and exercise make the day go by a lot faster.

Thanks for the reminder!

edit on 12/1/12 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

top topics

join