It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The War on Men

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Nice opinion piece from a woman who "gets it": Feminism has gone too far, and men have had enough.

Surveys show the number of young women who want to get married is on the rise...even as the number of young men wanting marriage is falling. Men are realizing that marriage is a bad deal for them: with a 50% chance of divorce and a system that baldly favors women over men in divorce court, they are likely to wind up losing half their stuff and in poverty, paying alimony and child suppor for children they rarely see and have little hand in raising.

Meanwhile culture is unambiguously pro-female an anti-male, for decades now portraying men as bumbling Homer Simpsons and women as superior in every way in movies, TV, magazines, and books. Young men go into hock for college liberal arts educations heavy on feminist theory and man-bashing.

Perhaps worst of all, women have lost all traditional qualities of femininity, taught by media and academics that these are "oppressive," and become more like pale copies of men. Hollywood's relentless infatuation with homosexuality aside, most men don't want to marry and date other men -- or women who act more like men than women.

The pendulum has swung too far. Men are waking up to the war on men, and opting out of systems that oppress them.

... I’ve accidentally stumbled upon a subculture of men who’ve told me, in no uncertain terms, that they’re never getting married. When I ask them why, the answer is always the same: Women aren’t women anymore....

...It is precisely this dynamic – women good/men bad – that has destroyed the relationship between the sexes. Yet somehow, men are still to blame when love goes awry. Heck, men have been to blame since feminists first took to the streets in the 1970s.

But what if the dearth of good men, and ongoing battle of the sexes, is – hold on to your seats – women’s fault?

You’ll never hear that in the media. All the articles and books (and television programs, for that matter) put women front and center, while men and children sit in the back seat. But after decades of browbeating the American male, men are tired. Tired of being told there’s something fundamentally wrong with them. Tired of being told that if women aren’t happy, it’s men’s fault.

More at source (Fox)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by FailedProphet

Meanwhile culture is unambiguously pro-female an anti-male, for decades now portraying men as bumbling Homer Simpsons and women as superior in every way in movies, TV, magazines, and books. Young men go into hock for college liberal arts educations heavy on feminist theory and man-bashing.

For every bumbling Ray Romano or Doug Heffernan character theres a heap of strong intelligent male characters. Rambo, Indiana Jones, James Bond, the expendables, the numerous superhero movies out now, etc,etc. Some of these are even images of masculinity that have remained popular for decades so this is nonsense. It seems like the crack pots mens rights activists just get their panties in a bunch anytime a man is portrayed in a way they dont like.

Originally posted by FailedProphetPerhaps worst of all, women have lost all traditional qualities of femininity, taught by media and academics that these are "oppressive," and become more like pale copies of men. Hollywood's relentless infatuation with homosexuality aside, most men don't want to marry and date other men -- or women who act more like men than women.

what exact traditional qualities are these?

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
The dynamics are changing and for the better.

Society has been ruled and I mean ruled by men for the past 2000 years, at least.

Now for the first time in 1000s of years things are beginning to change.

It's up to humanity to adapt, not fall back towards our past.

Wouldn't you agree?

SS
edit on 103030p://pm3055 by Spike Spiegle because: ,

edit on 103030p://pm3043 by Spike Spiegle because: our

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spike Spiegle
The dynamics are changing and for the better.

Society has been ruled and I mean ruled by men for the past 2000 years, at least.

Now for the first time in 1000s of years things are beginning to change.

It's up to humanity to adapt, not fall back towards out past.

Wouldn't you agree?

SS
edit on 103030p://pm3055 by Spike Spiegle because: ,

No I would not agree.

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I disagree. Why should women be expected to be in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant? Personally, I wouldn't want a woman like that. I don't want someone who depends on me to tell her what to do, when to do it, how to feel and to cater to my every whim. That's not a wife, that's a slave.

I want someone who can have an intelligent conversation, who shares my interests, who I can count on when I'm down and I can support when she's down. I want an equal partner, not someone who blindly follows me and does what I say. (that's what kids are for
)

Yes, I want someone who likes to cook, but I want to cook some too, I enjoy it sometimes. However, I dont' mind if she does the dishes each and every time

I want someone who will help me mow the yard and I'll help her clean the house. She can do dishes while I do laundry, she can assemble the pieces while I cut them out, she can bleed the brakes while I press the pedel, she can make me breakfast in bed and I can make her a romantic dinner. I don't want someone who has a definite role to play and I don't want to play a definite role either.

Marriages have moved beyond "Do as your husband says", it's not like that anymore. Now, marriage is "make decisions together", "respect one another", "share in the burden", "spend time together in common interests". Why would I want a barbie doll who does nothing but cook, clean and sew?? Those people bore me, why would I want to be married to one of them?

Marriage is no longer about procreation and nothing else. It's no longer about having your own personal servant who follows your every command. It's no longer about the blurred visions of the past, it's about much, much more. This is 2012, not 1950.

Heck, if she makes more money than I do, why would I expect her to stay home and take care of the kids??? ....We can hire a nanny for that cuz I ain't gonna do it either

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Surveys show the number of young women who want to get married is on the rise.
reply to post by FailedProphet

STOP RIGHT THERE

What surveys ? Source ? Links ?

No way in hell.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

Read the article. Click the link.

The information you seek is there.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Really so the world hasn't been ruled by men for the past 2000 years?

Please link me to your sources.

SS

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

FOX NEWS ?

Ha. Okay.

No. Women of today are NOT wanting to get married as we see it as nothing more than a lifetime job as a grown mans baby sitter , housekeeper and sex slave.

NO THANKS.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by paganini
For every bumbling Ray Romano or Doug Heffernan character ...

But can you name a the opposite scenario - a bunch of TV shows where the woman is a bumbling idiot, married to a strong intelligent handsome man who rescues the situation?

Its the same in TV ads. Man is idiot who cant do anything right... but then we see smug woman who has her life together, because she uses Product Name. The other way around would never be permitted.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   

For every bumbling Ray Romano or Doug Heffernan character theres a heap of strong intelligent male characters. Rambo, Indiana Jones, James Bond, the expendables, the numerous superhero movies out now, etc,etc. Some of these are even images of masculinity that have remained popular for decades so this is nonsense. It seems like the crack pots mens rights activists just get their panties in a bunch anytime a man is portrayed in a way they dont like.

The men who complain the most about "women not being women" are the men who don't know how to be men.

If you are honorable, brave, strong, hardworking, intelligent and give 100% in everything you do, you will attract the kind of person you want.

If you want a certain type of wife, then you need to be the type of man who attracts the kind you're looking for.

You can't be an overweight computer nerd living in your mother's basement wearing dirty sweats and sit and wonder why you can't find a woman like they had in the 50's. It's not going to happen.

Be the person that the person you want is looking for. Otherwise, she'll find somebody who is.

(not aimed at you paganini, in agreement to you
)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
There is no war on men. Equality is just getting closer, and it scares men with a superiority complex.

a 50% chance of divorce and a system that baldly favors women over men in divorce court, they are likely to wind up losing half their stuff and in poverty, paying alimony and child suppor for children they rarely see and have little hand in raising.

The only reason why women get custody in divorce court is because society has a stereotype on them that they are better caretakers. That their job should be to stay home and take care of the kids...this mentality isn't beneficial to women at all, it's demeaning. Also, a lot of the time men do not try to even fight for full custody for whatever reason.

And alimony is ordered to be paid by a female if she makes more than the man. The only reason why most men pay it is because they get paid more, have more wealth and are more likely to be in a leadership position in a workplace due to societal stereotypes.

Yeah, this just isn't true. There are more intelligent, strong men than dumb men on TV. People who wine about this just cannot handle seeing a woman portrayed with more intelligence to the male counterpart. You also forgot to add nearly all of these women on those types of shows are housewives.

Perhaps worst of all, women have lost all traditional qualities of femininity

I don't really know what a traditional quality of women means but if you go to a college campus you'll see nearly nothing but girly girls.

You just don't live in reality.

edit on 26-11-2012 by Trustfund because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

But can you name a the opposite scenario - a bunch of TV shows where the woman is a bumbling idiot, married to a strong intelligent handsome man who rescues the situation?

Its the same in TV ads. Man is idiot who cant do anything right... but then we see smug woman who has her life together, because she uses Product Name. The other way around would never be permitted.

NCIS, Criminal Minds, Vegas, Suburgatory, Grimm, Blue Bloods, Hawaii Five-0, Castle, ....there's a ton of them.

The most interesting man in the world? Old spice commercials?

You're seeing what you want to see and glossing over the things that are the way you feel they should be. Equality is a two way street. You can't have equality and keep women as your personal slaves at the same time.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I have to agree with the OP... society in America is definitely unbalanced at the moment. I've even been to a liberal arts college like he mentions for five years. So the pendulum will probably swing back, imo.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Largely people seem to be targeting sitcoms as the source for this feminist Illuminati brainwashing.( sarcasm) I cant go deep into tackling this issue as i think modern sitcoms are largely horrible boring trash but i do recall the dad from Modern family being more sensible and mature while his wife is a dingbat. Further for saying this is a feminist driven thing many people like the OP fail to realize shows like the king of queens and Everybody loves ray were creatively controlled by MEN not women. These guys if anything were drawing source material from their own lives.

Now the issue seems to be that the thinking is well gosh hes a guy whos portrayed as a dumb slob and im a guy so this is like a direct insult at me.!
This is the same irrational over emotional thinking that many feminists use to complain about the slightest thing with our media.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by skepticconwatcher

FOX NEWS ?

Ha. Okay.

No. Women of today are NOT wanting to get married as we see it as nothing more than a lifetime job as a grown mans baby sitter , housekeeper and sex slave.

NO THANKS.

So in other words "no I won't click your link because it's a source I don't like, even though it references a national survey that can also be confirmed from other non-Fox sources. Instead I'm going to believe what I want to believe and embrace denial full steam ahead."

Niiiiiiice.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by FailedProphet
. Instead I'm going to believe what I want to believe and embrace denial full steam ahead."

speaking of denial you seem to be avoiding the points i and Purple chiten have made that counters your statements that the media is out to feminize men

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Strong, handome men who can actually rescue a situation are fewer and further between. Too many are overweight geeks living with their parents becasue they don't want to grow up and take responsibility. You have to fit the role you want to have. If you don't fit the role, don't expect a woman who fits the role to be interested in you.

Personally, I have trouble finding ones who can have an intelligent converatio and isn't all "touchy feely", constantly needing attention. I've dated wway too many who try to fill the role of "housewife", but that isn't what I want. Maybe I'm too strong and forefull and need to ease up a little in order to attract what I want.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Well to be fair FOX NEWS is far, far ,far from unbiased.

So I can understand the hesitation to use it as a source, do you have any other news sources or links?

SS
edit on 113030p://pm3025 by Spike Spiegle because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
You know, there are two ways of looking at this and depending on who is doing the looking, both can be valid enough. The OP shows one and I'd sure like to note another.

This need never be about women being held back, and whoever would want to? Women who have an honest drive to go out and bust their tails like anyone to make something are among the best in the nation and no less for the gender.

On the other hand, society IS losing something very important by women who aren't really driven hard but feeling pushed out to work and live just like or better than Men. I hate to say it, as I am a man, but Women raise children better. There's no two ways about it in strictly general terms. Women tend to have more patience, compassion and empathy as well as a true desire to give.

So what society is losing are generations of children raised with that very direct, loving and nurturing presence in their lives. Now it's the TV or Internet when it's not game consoles....and look at the stats for how it's turning out too.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join