It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Canada Ever Apologize for Burning Down the White House?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by winterkill

Did the USA Ever Apologize for Burning Down Hiroshima...?

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

how many of us can honestly say that at one time or another he hasn't set fire to some great public building.

I know I have...

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
If we did in fact burn it down it was a premature act...We should have saved that card for now

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

the USA was in no danger of being ` re-absorbed ` into the british empire in 1814

the raid on washington was just that - a raid that owed is sucess to speed and surprise

had the british forces attempted to occupy the area - the americans would have raised armies to face them

as stated previously - the bulk of brittish army and RN forces were in action in europe and could not be called upon

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Did either ever apologize for the Native genocide and the eradication of indigenous populations?

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
Did either ever apologize for the Native genocide and the eradication of indigenous populations?
Actually, Steve issued an apology, in a moment of decency, not that long ago.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock

Originally posted by winterkill
This one makes me laugh every time. How many out there were ever taught this piece of history while in school?

The Burning of Washington in 1814 was an incident during the War of 1812 between the forces of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and those of the United States of America. On August 24, 1814, after defeating the Americans at the Battle of Bladensburg, a British force led by Major General Robert Ross occupied Washington, D.C. and set fire to many public buildings. The facilities of the U.S. government, including the White House and U.S. Capitol, were largely destroyed.[3] The British commander's orders to burn only public buildings and strict discipline among the British troops are credited with preserving the city's private buildings.
This was the only time since the Revolutionary War that a foreign power captured and occupied the United States capital.[4]

en.wikipedia.org...

I cant believe the Irish would have anything to do with it. Maybe North Irish.....but their not really Irish.

Not really Irish in the same way you are not really American?

But then the Irish are really British and just too dumb to realise it aren't they?

Maybe if you don't know what your talking about you should hold your mouth?? Better idea??
edit on 27-11-2012 by biggilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Why should they apologize?
Let them do it again and this time take congress too.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
Whoever tells you it was Canadians doesn't know that Canada wasn't a country until 1867. The British did it, not Canadians.

You do realize that Canada was not a country in 1867 and is still not a country. Do a little research, Canada is a colony, a wholly owned subsidiary corporation of the City of London. You can find this out by looking up the 1947 Letters Patent of King George on the internet. The prime minister of Canada is NOT the head of state, he's a puppet to appease the masses in the delusion that we are independent. The actual head of state is the grovellor (governor) general, who is the ruling monarch's viceroy (the same applies to the provinces with a lieutenant governor each). Go to any post office, court or government building and you'll see a picture of the most useless and expensive inbred welfare family on the planet.

Back to the reason for this thread, NO, we won't apologive until the US government stops its BS and apologizes for all its crap worldwide.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
We're never going to get any mercy from Canada while Bettman is the Commish of the NHL.
edit on 28-11-2012 by HabiruThorstein because: grammar

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   
What are heck are you on about... or on?

You don't apologize for building damage in a war !!!!!

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
What an interesting post, always nice to add more knowledge to my love of history, and not just the white race either.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by winterkill

No, they didn't. We need to invade them again, maybe that'll learn em!

On second thought, maybe we can get them to come burn Washington down again and take our politicians as POW's.
edit on 28-11-2012 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I'd like to thank the OP for this thread..

Neither I or anyone I know was taught this in school, even tho we did do the History of modern America (circa 1786). Makes you wonder how much more was left out, I might have to grab a few history books and start reading.

Peace

Rock Ape

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Why would we apologize for that. We ended a war with a country that admired suicide. Some people don't share your idea that dropping the bomb was such a horrible idea. My grandfather being one of them.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
Just so's you know, a lot of our Canadian militias were made up of former Americans who declined your invitation of Manifest Destiny.
Heck no Nuck, those were americans that had developed a taste for licking boots in the kneeling position.
Actually, I'd say they came here for a life of peace and harmony. That 'boot licking' seems to have manifested itself as arse kicking when Thomas Jefferson declared that an invasion was 'a mere matter of marching'. You'll note that up here in the Colonies, we rack up that little exercise of yours as a victory for us.

Didnt Canada send Sitting Bull and his people back home to rot on the reservation?

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggilo

Originally posted by winterkill
This one makes me laugh every time. How many out there were ever taught this piece of history while in school?

The Burning of Washington in 1814 was an incident during the War of 1812 between the forces of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and those of the United States of America. On August 24, 1814, after defeating the Americans at the Battle of Bladensburg, a British force led by Major General Robert Ross occupied Washington, D.C. and set fire to many public buildings. The facilities of the U.S. government, including the White House and U.S. Capitol, were largely destroyed.[3] The British commander's orders to burn only public buildings and strict discipline among the British troops are credited with preserving the city's private buildings.
This was the only time since the Revolutionary War that a foreign power captured and occupied the United States capital.[4]

en.wikipedia.org...

I cant believe the Irish would have anything to do with it. Maybe North Irish.....but their not really Irish.

Not really Irish in the same way you are not really American?

But then the Irish are really British and just too dumb to realise it aren't they?

Maybe if you don't know what your talking about you should hold your mouth?? Better idea??
edit on 27-11-2012 by biggilo because: (no reason given)

It was a joke....and someone got all teared up.

British huh. You probably dont even know that the English are not even British. Or that canada is mostly scotti and gaelics still under the boot of thier Merican overlords. Thye ran you off youre land in the old world so you could come over here and be better use to them.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
Whoever tells you it was Canadians doesn't know that Canada wasn't a country until 1867. The British did it, not Canadians.

In addition to this, the force that attack DC were freshly arrived British troops seasoned from the European Napoleonic Wars. No one born in what would become Canada participated in the attack.
edit on 11/29/2012 by SG-17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

But they were riding Moose and Polar Bears = Canadians.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by All Seeing Eye

You know, they actually taught us that in public school. They also taught us about the hostile takeover of Hawaii. Go figure... thanks for reminding me...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join