It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA says Mars discovery isn't 'earthshaking' after all

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Well if the announcement that life had been found was given, it would follow that there is in fact Life in the Cosmos, thus UFO alien life forms could not be denied or covered up. So yes, one would imply the other and NASA would have to back peddle to appease the who ever is trying to hide 'Alien Life' knowledge and information.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I always go to the nasa channel on youtube and comment that they should show us the aliens. People should do the same.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
NASA has been lying since day one. I have a hard time believing they only sent a robot to Mars to dig in the soil. An expedition to this planet was sent a long long time ago. I wish someone from NASA would rebel and spout out during a live televised press confererance about what they are hiding to the world. If the person mysteriously dies or disappears then we will know that its true.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by mee30
reply to post by Jason88

Hmmm yeah I wouldn't be surprised if some geek/scientist got REALLY excited about something most of us will feel is no big deal... I think even if they found microbial life most people wouldn't really care all too much.

I agree with that. I'm convinced that if they find microbial life that it will be because we brought it there. They are going to have a hard time convincing me that it is truly alien. But then again, I am an eternal skeptic.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Big surprise.
Maybe someday we'll get a formal announcment on how we can actually grow asparagus there without all the speculation.
The global economy is still collapsing, though.
That might shake something.
Or not.
We're pretty stupid.
edit on 27-11-2012 by Floydshayvious because: spellz

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
In my opinion NASA is desperate to stay relevant. I think they have determined that Mars is almost certainly a dead planet and that there is little if any hope of finding life of any kind. While NASA's overriding goal was not to find alien life, it has teased the world with the possibility for decades now.
NASA is now facing the real possibility of spending cuts so severe that it may cease to be able to continue the cutting edge science that we have all come to expect it to produce. I think they are in PR mode to ward off it's own demise.
As Obama's administration continues to turn it's attention to social and environmental issues at home they are making it clear that they are much less inclined to fund NASA as previous administrations did in the past.

These are just my personal view, I remember watching the moon landing with my Dad and hearing him say, "The door is now open..There is no going back. Son, one day you will be able to walk on the moon." I can't go out at night and look at the moon without remembering that statement.
To bad someone closed that door a long time ago.
edit on 11/27/2012 by Sparky63 because: added comment

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Why does NASA constantly put out a announcement about an upcoming announcement that they have some "Major" find to share.Why not just come right out and say hey here's what we just found or check back later for our newest results, why do they feel the need to work people up over something that's probably not gonna be all that earth shattering at all.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
When I read about this, NASA spokesmen also said that they do not yet want to acknowledge the findings in case it is nothing but if it was true that it would be "for the history books".

With that in mind, they didn't know themselves if the findings would be as exciting as announced, so they never promised anything big!
Having said that, the downplay seems a little odd. To me it was either there was something really interesting [to me even microbial life or certain chemicals meaning that life has existed on Mars, would be pretty big] or they would find out that it was nothing worth talking about.

Now it is neither of the above, now they make it seem as if there is something, but it is not as interesting as they thought. To me it doesn't make sense. So they actually found something newsworthy but it is not what they anticipated?
I still want to know what it is though.
edit on 27-11-2012 by Hecate666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
surprise, surprise

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
maybe if it was life the Pope said NO!

Its a bit out of order that they built up expectations by saying it was something special and now they are back tracking. If it was nothing of importance then why not just tell us on the day?

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001

Just because they don't affirm your personal beliefs does not mean they are keeping secrets.

Heee heee look at that, I am not close minded, therefore I am a believer. I do not believe lots of stories but I disagree with close mindness overall. 'My personal beliefs' lawl,,

Are you seriously considering applying for employment with NASA? Setting that aside, most scientists are finding that NASA is getting a little too "out there" in rushing to announce major breakthroughs that turn out to be duds

It went through my mind in case I fell in those circles of 'not for everyone'. Doesn't matter if one story about arsenic is true, if a scientist cannot acknolwedge the possibility of forms of life not even imagined.. then pity that one became a scientist. Just a uni diplom and few years as an assistant do not make you ONE.

You claim that NASA gives evasive answers. Could you provide an example?

Didn't you read - not gonna discuss the astronauts' findings and such.I am sure they aren't that stupid to misidentify ice particles for some other object. And you can't enter their brain to know.

Also screw the media and their stunts - 'The announcement on Dec 3rd' - what is that? And what has Curiosity found - methane produced by organic substances? The article told nothing of what is 'for the history books'

There are reasons why certain scientific discoveries are "embargoed." One of them has to do with the research being vetted, peer reviewed and published in a journal. The scientists want their work to be reviewed so they don't embarrass themselves, and the journals want an "exclusive story." Incidentally, the peer review process makes the findings generally available through the grapevine. Be prepared to be disappointed when they don't announce finding a secret underground Martian city.

You know what? Quit makinh assumptions about what I expect to be found there - you do not read my mind. I am not a believer in ancient ruins and pyramids on Mars.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
It's just a publicity stunt.

In a time where most people couldn't care less about space exploration or mars in general (and I obviously do not mean the regulars on this site), NASA is grasping at straws trying to get people interested in space again. They've done this a million times before; every time they say they have a "huge" announcement, we all wait with our breath held, and are always disappointed by some trivial or uninteresting announcement.

I genuinely believe they did this on purpose, to get people paying attention again for a few weeks. It's pretty inconsiderate really. It just reminds me of that kid in the schoolyard who kept saying that tomorrow he'll bring that awesome super-rare pokemon card or whatever, and then two weeks later he brings in a knock off charmander and acts like it's no big deal. We need to stop letting them get our hopes up people.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
NASA and Stephen Greer obviously
have the same publicity agent.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
**UPDATE**

From Space.com:

Most scientists contacted by SPACE.com believe that Curiosity's SAM has detected organic chemical compounds. Still, some experts caution that the rover's finding may be overhyped.

"This is going to be a disappointment," said Chris McKay, a NASA space scientist at Ames Research Center at Moffett Field, Calif. "The press description of the SAM results as 'earthshaking' is, in my view, an unfortunate exaggeration. We have not (yet) found anything in SAM that was not already known from previous missions: Phoenix and Viking."

But James Garvin, chief scientistat NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md., and a member of Curiosity's Mars Science Laboratory (MSL) science team, had a different take.

"What John Grotzinger was saying as our very capable project scientist on MSL is exactly the case," Garvin said. "The analytical payload on MSL —in particular, SAM as a suite —has been making unprecedented measurements of solid material samples with incredible implications about Mars, but which require, as in all science, demonstration of reproducibility and adequacy of calibration/validation."

More:

"I think the minimum finding that could get Grotzinger to describe it as 'historic' is complex organic compounds," said Gilbert Levin, an adjunct professor at Arizona State University in Tempe.

Levin was a life-detection experimenter on NASA's Viking mission to Mars in 1976. Levin and co-experimenter Patricia Ann Straat led the Viking Labeled Release (LR) investigation, which returned data from Mars indicating the presence of microbial life, the team asserts.

And for posterity:

"The characterization of new findings as earthshaking did not come from anyone on the mission's science team," Webster said.

There's much more interesting info at the source: www.space.com...
edit on 27-11-2012 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

I'm a firm believer of thought 1. However, it could also be:

Thought 3: The data could not be replicated, therefore verified.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

If you breathe water you might want to sign yourself up for a research study!

Joking aside, I feel the same way you do. Why with the secrecy? Why hide things? What possible financial gain do they stand to loose? In the end it's all about money and power with these people.

IMO the "manned space program" hasn't done anything but waste money since the late 80's.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Renegade2283

Military spending does include space exploration. We're just not privy to the ships the Navy has up there. Granted, most of the stuff that the Navy flies around is operated on budgets we don't know about.

I'm sure that NASA employees read ATS.

If a NASA employee is reading this, I wish I could slap the living # out of you for hiding stuff that you have access too. I dare you to leak something or push for others in your department to say "to hell with this!" and just let us know.

NASA isn't relevant anymore anway , so why worry about your jobs so much? You could be the change this world needs, and be forever remembered in the history books as the one that broke the silence.

If you're scared about being killed, what is your life compared to the massive good for the other 7 billion people on this planet? You should be ashamed of yourself, NASA employee.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom

If a NASA employee is reading this, I wish I could slap the living # out of you for hiding stuff that you have access too. I dare you to leak something or push for others in your department to say "to hell with this!" and just let us know.
You should be ashamed of yourself, NASA employee.

What is it exactly that people are so incredibly convinced NASA is hiding?
There must be a basic case, with compelling evidence of a true effort to hide something important that people are refferring to, that cannot be explained by other means?
Otherwise this sort of witch-hunting hatred is kind of disturbing.

Did NASA lie about Elenin when they tried to counter fears that the planet was about to get hit by 'Nibiru'?

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by delusion

Originally posted by MystikMushroom

You should be ashamed of yourself, NASA employee.

What is it exactly that people are so incredibly convinced NASA is hiding?
There must be a basic case, with compelling evidence of a true effort to hide something important that people are refferring to, that cannot be explained by other means?
Otherwise this sort of witch-hunting hatred is kind of disturbing.

Did NASA lie about Elenin when they tried to counter fears that the planet was about to get hit by 'Nibiru'?

Well I'm incredibly convinced NASA is hiding something because of these

and

Just google ( Moon photo altered )

And what about these
NASA Employed Photo Artists
To Airbrush Out Apollo Anomalies!
During the Disclosure Project press conference, former NASA employee, Donna Hare, revealed how NASA managed to cover up and erase anomalies such as UFOs from satellite photos. She was a female slide technician and received numerous space awards including 1969 Apollo Achievement award from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, 1973 Skylab award, a medallion for success on the Skylab-Suez Test project. Other awards for her skill as a technical Artist includes a 1994 recommendation by Texas Governor Ann Richards to the Advisory Committee of Psychology Associates.
www.ufos-aliens.co.uk...

and what about these
NASA Cover-Up Evidence!: Altered Image
The NASA image of Saturn’s moons Dione and Titan, left, and the high-contrast version showing black Photoshop marks at far right.

In the video, “DominatorPS3″ turned up the brightness levels on the photo to show that a “huge” object can be seen behind the smaller moon, Dione. Clearly visible are brush strokes that show how the rainbow aura of the object has been blacked out.

“More solid proof of NASA/ government cover-ups,” DominatorPS3 said. “And this is recent. You can do this yourself!!”
www.redicecreations.com...

how many other example do you need.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Philosophile

NASA has been known to conceal information from us.

For example?

Apollo 18
lunartruth.com

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join