It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA says Mars discovery isn't 'earthshaking' after all

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthFazer
Never A Straight Answer doing what it does best, build us up with PR gimmicks only for a climactic buzkill as if it is a legitimate agency, NASA is no longer relevant imho. We need to scrap it down to it's core and get to the meat and potatoes we have been deprived of such forbidden knowledge. You cant fool me twice NASA shame on you! We are on a need to know basis, thanks for all the peanuts NASA. A monumental waste of taxpayer money

You are such a tease !

You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time - Abraham Lincoln
edit on 26-11-2012 by DarthFazer because: (no reason given)

Ya, NASA is the problem.

IMHO, I think that at least HALF of what is spent on the military should go to space exploration.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I maintain that the PR guy a) knows less about the project, its results, and thier implications, than do the scientists, and b) That the find WILL be earthshaking, for anyone with the intellect to feel the tremors.

Those who are obsessed with the hollywood meaning of big, however, are simpletons in the main, and will feel nothing, apart from left out. And honestly, I really couldnt care less about that.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthFazer

Sixty plus years and NASA has not produced

What, exactly, do you want them to produce?

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

I have yet to see a comprehensive feature on Cydonia.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by SpearMint

"This data is gonna be one for the history books," Curiosity chief scientist John Grotzinger, of Caltech in Pasadena, told NPR. "It's looking really good."

Well they did kind of had people involved in the program elude to it being BIG

agreed.. and it's virtual copy & paste..

on that note .. not that i really follow to NASA threads and what's the latest project costing the USA billions and billions..why is a chief Scientist for the project even stating what may or not be relevant .. ? Shouldn't a NASA project manager be the one making the accouancements ??

..engineers/scientists only provide the data to those higher up that make the decisions... UNLESS, they are the project manager as well..

but anyways ..

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

This is why we can't trust these dudes! Curiosity chief scientist John Grotzinger knows if something is of great importance or not... Just like Roswell in 1947, when Colonel William "Butch" Blanchard Base commancder press release stating that they have a flying disc in their possession was quickly dismissed by Gen. Roger Ramey, high brass guy from Washington as a weather balloon !!
Oh I can see it now, NASA reminding Grotzinger of his future, good or bad!

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by lasvegasteddy

why they can't take pictures without having to airbrush them in this day and age to start

The pictures are mostly for the average Joe to ooh and aah at.

Why can't any NASA haters find faults in all the data that NASA has gathered?

Too easy to go "ZOMG dis panoramah is shooped!!"

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Philosophile

NASA has been known to conceal information from us.

For example?

I am starting to get tired of NASA too. For example? FOR EXAMPLE??? NASA don't have secrets, right? They are perfectly straight.

I am not sure if I should really apply for a place with close-minded scientists who are not open for possibilities and yet serve an organization that is far from transparent and gawd knows what is hidden.

I see you have lots of knowledge but it seems 'Types of classified documents' is not part of it. How would you give examples if something is still hidden to say WHAT is hidden? You can see their evasive answers about lots of things, let's not start the topic of space flight and astronauts here.

Also screw the media and their stunts - 'The announcement on Dec 3rd' - what is that? And what has Curiosity found - methane produced by organic substances? The article told nothing of what is 'for the history books'
edit on 27-11-2012 by Imtor because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Sometimes scientists get really excited about things that others find boring. I'm sure it's earth shattering in their world, but many are likely to find it underwhelming I'm sure. I remember inventor Dean Kamen and his investors seriously overplayed his Segway invention before it's official announcement saying it would change the world and cities would have to be redesigned around it. People got their hopes up expecting free energy, space travel and all sorts of earth shattering ideas. Ultimately the Segway left a lot of seriously disappointed kiddies in its wake.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

You're being too paranoid.

Whatever, if anything, was on Mars is long gone.
If anything does remain, it's been sandblasted to a near fully eroded state. Massive dust storms sometimes cover most of the planet.

They are there for science.
They likely saw something in their data that wasn't actually what they thought it was.

There was much speculation that they found a cavern system, but that got buried away in new hypotheses.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I don't believe anything, and i mean anything that "NASA" tells. They are a Mickey Mouse organisation now, in cahoots with the CIA.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Why just they dont say, that we are from mars. This is really stupid.
Only skeptics believe in NASA.
edit on 27-11-2012 by Izak4K because: no reason

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by mee30
reply to post by Jason88

I think even if they found microbial life most people wouldn't really care all too much. They would be interested if it was some weird and wonderful animal or alien but barring that probably wouldn't care less... I am one of those to be honest.

Ahh, but too find life so close to home. That would be amazing...

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I say there doing what they always do.what there told to do.welcome to the prison planet.get comfortable bend over grab your knee's.I'm so done with this crap! we all know the universe is teaming with life of all kinds we don't need NASA or any other gov agent to tell us anything.wake up peep's! Shake of the brainwashing.you can do.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Imtor

I am starting to get tired of NASA too. For example? FOR EXAMPLE??? NASA don't have secrets, right? They are perfectly straight.

Just because they don't affirm your personal beliefs does not mean they are keeping secrets.

I am not sure if I should really apply for a place with close-minded scientists who are not open for possibilities and yet serve an organization that is far from transparent and gawd knows what is hidden.

Are you seriously considering applying for employment with NASA? Setting that aside, most scientists are finding that NASA is getting a little too "out there" in rushing to announce major breakthroughs that turn out to be duds:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I see you have lots of knowledge but it seems 'Types of classified documents' is not part of it. How would you give examples if something is still hidden to say WHAT is hidden? You can see their evasive answers about lots of things, let's not start the topic of space flight and astronauts here.

And you do not understand what sort of information needs to be "classified." NASA is not in the habit of publicizing the details for manufacturing hydrazine on an industrial scale. It would make a useful propellant for submarine based missiles. On the other hand, they generally release all the data they gather on their missions. Some of this data is released almost immediately, some even in real time. Other data follows a path that gives first priority to the scientific team that designed the experiment. After all, why should some bright kid with a spreadsheet program on his laptop get credit for "discovering" something a team of scientists spent years designing an experiment to find?

You claim that NASA gives evasive answers. Could you provide an example?

Also screw the media and their stunts - 'The announcement on Dec 3rd' - what is that? And what has Curiosity found - methane produced by organic substances? The article told nothing of what is 'for the history books'

There are reasons why certain scientific discoveries are "embargoed." One of them has to do with the research being vetted, peer reviewed and published in a journal. The scientists want their work to be reviewed so they don't embarrass themselves, and the journals want an "exclusive story." Incidentally, the peer review process makes the findings generally available through the grapevine. Be prepared to be disappointed when they don't announce finding a secret underground Martian city.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by mee30
reply to post by Phage

Now come on phage they did also say this...

"This data is gonna be one for the history books. It's looking really good,"

And to think I just stood up for you! DOH!

Never stand up for a dis-info agent...

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jason88

Well, here we go. NASA is either covering up something that an overzealous scientist accidentally shared, or is playing legitimate damage control to set the expectations for the public.

Thought 1: There is something earthshaking discovered but NASA wasn't suppose to tell the public. So now they're backtracking after TPTB got hold of them.

Thought 2: There is something interesting, as stated, but only for scientists and a very curious public. The layperson won't care much what is found, so NASA is lowering expectations as a responsible agency.

What does ATS think - is NASA being responsible with its information expectations, or is NASA backtracking on something world changing to be safe?

I tend to agree with thought 2, but who knows anymore.

www.techradar.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Or reality can sink and and we can realize that scientists are easily excitable .. especially on missions like this one.. If you ever sat in on one of the JPL video chat sessions they do every now and then you'd realize how absolutely giddy these guys can get over things that seem absolutely meaningless to the laymen.. They've made over-reaching comments like this before out of pure excitement over something that, to them, is huge.. but to us is not so much..

I agree with thought 2.. but too many people will jump on it as a conspiracy and think "OHMYGOD.. Nasa discovered aliens and is now hiding it!" or something like that.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by steve95988

Never stand up for a dis-info agent...

The only dis-info agents around ATS tend to be the self-deluded that want to believe something so much that fact and logic becomes more of a suggestion than a rule.. and often, an annoyance..

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
They will eventually discover life on mars, an extremophile nearly identical to those found on earth.Due to this, It will be theorized that the organic matter was thrown into space from an ancient earth impact, and that the organism survived space, and the entry into the martian atmosphere. Or possibly from contamination.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJM8507
They will eventually discover life on mars, an extremophile nearly identical to those found on earth.Due to this, It will be theorized that the organic matter was thrown into space from an ancient earth impact, and that the organism survived space, and the entry into the martian atmosphere. Or possibly from contamination.

And then eventually mars will have an "Ancient Astronaut" show on their planet .. a crazy man with frizzy hair will proclaim "Aliens!" as the source of life

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join