It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange midnight sunset in South Wales, UK. Any ideas.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I happened to go outside about midnight and the the sky was red from the horizon to about one third of the way directly overhead. It looked like a sunset only this was midnight. There are many clouds moving swiftly across the sky and the moon is in the west, the red sky was Eastwards just a bit to the right of where the sun actually rises. I went in to get my camera and when I came back out the sky was normal again ( 3 minutes). My guess would be a meteor or some other astronomical event and I'll check the feeds tomorrow to see if anything strange happened.

It wasn't the moon.
It wasn't a fire. (So wet here I've started growing gills)
It wasn't reflected city lights. (they are orange)

Is it me or are the number of strange meteorological events increasing? I never heard of sun-dogs until a few years ago and lenticular clouds seem a bit of a recent arrival. That's without spirals, exploding meteors, yellow lights that make plants fluoresce and chemtrails. I'm 58 and I've always been keen on following this stuff but now every year there's a new phenomena and people come up with a catchy sounding name and write it off as just another natural occurence. I just don't understand where all this stuff has been hiding for the first 48 years of my life. Have I just been ignorant or is this new stuff that they're trying to convince us has always been here?

Really not sure where this should go but move it wherever it belongs.

goodnight.
edit on 26-11-2012 by Thoriumisbest because: spelling error

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Thoriumisbest

I've seen this too. Orange sky in middle of the night. I have no idea what causes it.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

I happened to go outside about midnight and the the sky was red from the horizon to about one third of the way directly overhead.

If I came outside my home at Midnight, and seen this, I would run as fast as I could back into my home and retrieved a camera. Video preferably. If I didn't have a camera I would find one.
I would have love to seen this...

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Me too. But just in the last year or so. Sometimes the red hue is Northwest, sometimes Southwest, sometimes Southeast. I've seen it at various times... just after sundown, or midnight, or 2AM.

It is not normal. If it were, it would have been featured in famous paintings and childhood storybooks from time immortal. It would have been referred to in sonnets and poetry, historical fiction and popular music. It would have been covered in my college astronomy class. In other words, if it were normal, it would be a part of our collective knowledge as a species-- a 'shared truth'-- such that there would be no cause for this thread, and no need for us to post our puzzlement.

So. What is it? And why now, but not previously?

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

thare was a luner eclips last night whitch makes the moon seen orange and the light from it so ide say it was that you saw.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by andymje

thare was a luner eclips last night whitch makes the moon seen orange and the light from it so ide say it was that you saw.

Can't speak to what the OP experienced, but what I have seen is way too often and on various parts of the horizon, to be attributed to a lunar eclipse, unless they happen for days on end...

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thoriumisbest
Is it me or are the number of strange meteorological events increasing? I never heard of sun-dogs until a few years ago

which is not the same as them not having happened before - Aristotle mentioned "false suns"-

Aristotle (Meteorology III.2, 372a14) notes that "two mock suns rose with the sun and followed it all through the day until sunset." He says that "mock suns" are always to the side, never above or below, most commonly at sunrise or sunset, more rarely in the middle of the day.
- historical sun dog observations

and lenticular clouds seem a bit of a recent arrival.

Again you not being aware of them is not the same as them being a "recent arrival". I was raised in Christchurch, New Zealand, where we had lenticular clouds from as long back as I can remember (the mid 1960's) from the "Nor'wester wind that blew over the Southern Alps

I just don't understand where all this stuff has been hiding for the first 48 years of my life. Have I just been ignorant or is this new stuff that they're trying to convince us has always been here?

Presumably you do not believe that you know everything there is to know - so of course there is "new stuff" all the time.

Plus of course now there is the 'net - once upon a time it was easy to ask questions but harder to get an answer - these days there is an answer for questins you didn't know you wanted to ask yet, and you aer bombarded with information - especially on sites like this where anyone can postulate any theory they want (virtually) as if it were fact.
edit on 26-11-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Yes I understand we have more access now to information plus many more cameras to record stuff. Even so it does seem that "new stuff" is happening with greater frequency. In the last 12 months in this area we've had an exploding meteor, a strange yellow glow and now a strange red glow. Not sure how an eclipse would have caused the redness but will check on it and see if it fits. Thanks for all the replies.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Yep, sure looks like it was the lunar eclipse. I did check the moon at the time, unfortunately the red sky was at the back of the house and the moon was out front. Guess those 3 minutes when I was getting my camera were the crucial minutes when I should have been paying attention. Sorry for the dumbness of my post but nevertheless grateful that it's been solved. In future I'll watch first and worry about the camera 2nd.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Do you see those Vertical beams of light in the same spots of the night sky like over America?

Satellites beaming down Ions to heat up the Ionosphere, to expand it. Earth's lost much of its atmosphere from our sun going crazy throwing a temper tantrum....and a few man made activities that's blown away part of our atmosphere.

Europe's GOCE satellite was to fly in the upper Ionosphere for a few months blasting a Ion engine to keep her in orbit as she collected data. Europe's Space Agency was shocked when GOCE wasn't being slowed down by an atmosphere and they've not even had to use her Ion engine. GOCE will be able to keep flying in ultra low orbit past 2014....because the Ionosphere isn't where it's supposed to be.

Those satellites heating up the Ionosphere over America,Russia, Europe only kick on at night. Pray they expand the ionosphere over you enough....the odd light you saw was from those satellites.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

can you point to any sources or info on the fact that
the Ionosphere is not where it is supposed to be please ??

snoopyuk

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Color perception varies after dark. I think the most likely would be some kind of ground based light pollution reflecting of some low clouds or mist.

Maybe you could search the internet and see if there are any images out there that look like what you saw?

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I'm from South Wales (Llanelli) and have spent most of my life looking at the night sky there and can say I've never seen anything like what you're describing. Unfortunately I live in London now but I've asked some friends back home if they saw anything and I'll let you know what they say.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thoriumisbest

Yes I understand we have more access now to information plus many more cameras to record stuff. Even so it does seem that "new stuff" is happening with greater frequency.

IMO it is people and having much easier means of recording and publishing what they see - if you ever read any works by Livy - a Roman author - he often notes the portents "seen" somewhere in the Roman Kingdom & Republic at the start of each year in his works (he wrote about the early history of Rome up until shortly before his death 17CE).

so people HAVE always seen strange things happening but generally have not had anything liek the curent means of disseminating the info.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Is it possible for you to locate your position on Google Maps? I don't mean to suggest you then post it on here although you could conceivably notice a possible source for a bright light at that time.

To me, your description is suggestive of a terrestrial light source pointing in the general direction of your position. This is mainly due to other members exhausting the possible astronomical suspects already.

My first thought was actually Aurora Borealis as it's been known to creep down as far south as the Midlands (visually). Some years ago, a few of us saw the red lights of the Aurora from West Lancashire and it naturally seemed to fit your description. However there's no evidence that conditions were suitable for this phenomena in either S Wales or anywhere in Northern England.

I like Aloysias' reference to older reported phenomena as something along those lines could be a possibility.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes

I've seen this too. Orange sky in middle of the night. I have no idea what causes it.

It's commonly caused by streetlights, especially under low cloud

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
[oops, double post .....
edit on 27-11-2012 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by andymje

Not there wasn't But there is one tomorrow night (28th) - not that I can see how that'd explain what the OP describes.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Light reflection when there is heavy moisture in the air like a foggy mist (not necessarily a visible mist though) rather than distinctive cloud formations is what you're seeing. The light sources are coming from all around you and being exaggerated through the water droplets like a bazillion little prisms.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

Yeah, that figures. I live in an urban area. I guess it must only be the low clouds that reflect it because it only happens occasionally. I guess the fullness of the moon would make a difference too.

reply to post by CranialSponge

That was an amazing description.
Thank you.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join