It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do Muslims Pray?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

well I think every person can feel such odd experiences. I myself have had dreams and odd feelings too and I have heard such things too. you know I live in Iran the history of this country is full of Islamic mysticism and sufism and such concepts there are familiar Poets like Hafez and ًRumi they were Mystics. I even passed a little course about islamic mysticism in university. even there are people who claimed to be God in the history mysticism!!!
but what I have learned is that ordinary monotheistic religions are the basics for all the humanity. but yes human can go beyond of just ordinary prayings. human can explore more. but it is a hard and dangerous way. we should know that metaphysics is not just limited to God. Lucifer and it's soldiers are always after defeating humanity and he is the great enemy of humanity. so what I have learned is that our findings should not be contrary to our religions. it is like you learn that two plus two is four when you are a child but when you go to university you can not deduce that two plus two becomes nine ! so our religions are the basics.

edit on 26-11-2012 by maes2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
As has been mentioned before, there are these 5 obligatory prayers (called "Salat" in arabic) that muslims must perform every day. These are done in a specific manner and method, and it is advisable (although not necessary) to pray together with other people. The only time it is obligatory to pray together in a congregation with others is on friday.
And yes, it is said you should pray understanding that God is right in front of you, and the experience is particularly...well...I can't explain it...electrifying and humbling and empowering (especially when in a congregation), especially naturally for a fresh convert or someone who hasn't done it in a long time. For me, having been doing my prayers for several years now, I have to concentrate, but I can tap into that same feeling as well.

This is PROBABLY not what you meant by "prayer", though. As has been mentioned before, the concept in islam similar to what you speak of is called "Dua" (translated as 'invocation'?). It is an act of supplication, where you usually raise your hands into a cupped shape in front of your face, and ask God (out loud or in your head) whatever you want. It can be done whenever you want, although it is ALSO a part of the end of the normal muslim prayer. Again, obviously, you have to ask understanding that God is right there in front of you.

You can ask however you want, but there are also a couple of famous prayers of the Prophets that people use in their Dua. For example, the Quran has record of the words the Prophet Moses prayed to God to help him in his speech to persuade his followers, and these are used by people who stutter, or who are worried about a big speech or public appearance they must make. Another of Abraham asking God to forgive his father. Another of Adam asking for forgiveness. etc.
edit on 26-11-2012 by babloyi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Dear windword,

Thanks for exploring this topic. I was expecting to see something a little different in response, but that's probably just my limited thinking. I've understood for some time that there are the five daily prayers. My impression was they are pretty much scripted.

Now I've been introduced to the "Dua." Is the Dua the base of Islamic prayers? Is it common to believers? When a Muslim can't sleep at 3 a.m. does he go walking outside, sense the presence of Allah, and pray that all men will live in peace in their own ways? Does he ask if he is showing love and goodness to others? Does he just sit peacefully, knowing that God is all around him, filling him with goodness?

What is the individual's prayer life like, the prayer life that is strictly his, not the clock's or the day of the week's? It could be that I'm asking an entirely nonsensical question, but I don't know how else to put it.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by maes2

When Muslims pray, do they sometimes hear God's voice, or feel God's presence, directing them or answering them, as Christians sometimes claim?

Christian preachers often present sermons based on personal revelation of life experiences or of the meaning of scriptures. Is this something that Muslims also share?

the idea of muslim prayer is to pray as if we see God and if not that then at least that God is watching us, the awareness should be there, and i am afraid God doesnt talk so easily but a serenity is felt. The aim is to be constantly aware of God and praying reminds it well.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
Dear windword,

Thanks for exploring this topic. I was expecting to see something a little different in response, but that's probably just my limited thinking. I've understood for some time that there are the five daily prayers. My impression was they are pretty much scripted.

Now I've been introduced to the "Dua." Is the Dua the base of Islamic prayers? Is it common to believers? When a Muslim can't sleep at 3 a.m. does he go walking outside, sense the presence of Allah, and pray that all men will live in peace in their own ways? Does he ask if he is showing love and goodness to others? Does he just sit peacefully, knowing that God is all around him, filling him with goodness?

What is the individual's prayer life like, the prayer life that is strictly his, not the clock's or the day of the week's? It could be that I'm asking an entirely nonsensical question, but I don't know how else to put it.

With respect,
Charles1952

the clockwork prayer builds a simple discipline and puts the idea(God is 1st priority) into action. But definitely there is personal prayer or dua and also formal prayer just to thank God which is like the compulsory prayers, just the intention in heart is to show gratitude.
And other things that can be done at 3am even while going for walk is remembering God or at home is reciting and reading Qur'an.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by logical7

Okay. I think I understand. I don't know if I'll ever shake the feeling that I'm being watched by a higher, wiser presence. I'll chalk that up to my Christian up bringing.

Does the Iman ever urge their congregations to pray for something specific, like some evangelical preachers do, like the thread that this thread was inspired from, where Christians are being asked to pray for Jerusalem?

In my church going days, church leaders would often ask us to pray for a certain individual who was having hard times or was ill. Does this kind of group prayer happen among Islamic communities.

Is the "Dua" a private thing, or is it something that can be done in a prayer group?

edit on 26-11-2012 by windword because: spelling

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

yes, the imam does have a group prayer(dua) after formal prayer(salah) and he does pray about events around the world and the whole congregation just says "Ameen", the same for someone ill etc. one can have additional dua after it, but the imam sums it up good enough. A group dua is said to be more effective on the logic that God would listen to at least one of the many making the dua.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
found this video that describes the formal prayer(salah) good enough, hope it helps.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
In general,praying will be a part of ibadah. Ibadah basically mean doing a good thing toward God, human, animal or plant, and world/universe that include our earth nature and enviroment.
Basic prayer that we must do (wajib) is Shalat, fasting in Ramadhan, paying zakat ( tax of what you have and earn and special zakat in the end of ramadhan), and hajj whenever possible, in financial wise,physically wise and mentally wise.

Basic shalat that we must do is 5 times daily. Another is shalat for someone who pass away if no one can do it, but usually family and friends do this shalat together.

Praying in definition of asking called du'a, in every ibadah at least we say once in begining, and mostly in shalat and hajj.
There are lots other of shalat that not compulsory called sunnah, better to do it but it is ok if not do it. Some are following the 5 times daily, before and or after. Some for specific intention. There are 2 kind of this shalat that mention at least we do it once in our live, so it supposed to be catagorized as compulsory at least once in our life. These call shalat dhuha and shalat tasbih.

Every after shalat usually follow with chanting and praying call wiridz and du'a. It is not a must but it consider as the right ethic doing sunnah after shalat.
Basically shalat is submitting ourself to God and asking to be show to the right path and pray for other fellow muslim and rightous people from all time.

Another praying as du'a can be done whenever we want and whereever we want. We can use pray that the prophets give example,or other people, or make our own. There are some specific pray when going or after doing something, for example before and after sleeping.
God said that God prefer with someone who keep asking (du'a) rather than someone who never/rarely ask,because this kind of person considered as snob, as this sin is the first sin of iblis, the first creature that become satan.

edit on 27-11-2012 by maung because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

reply to post by andy06shake

I don't think that's fair. I consider myself to be a spiritual person, and I can say that I have felt what I can only describe as God's presence. I have, recently, prayed for inspiration in my career, and have been presented with creative ideas in my dreams that I give thanks for to something outside myself.

You can chalk it up to mental illness or personal self determinism, but many call it a spiritual experience.

All religions are derived from something someone thought was a spiritual experience.

According the Anglican Priest I spoke to, and others, if I recall a Catholic one earlier too, at least half the congregation IS IN CHURCH due to having experiences, and feeling, guidance, God's Spirit, miracles, etc.

It's the norm actually for all called to faith rather than those just born in it and doing it like rote/tradition.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake

Each to there own pal. I was referring more to the hearing God's voice comment in your post. If you think you feel gods presence when you pray thats cool. Is that not how its supposed to work? LoL

If however you actually hear Gods voice. Then thats a different story.
edit on 26-11-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

Actually many people hear God's voice, sometimes just flooding you with an answer after presence of Spirit. Sometimes words that come, such as Mother while praying to God, saying, "to save the children" and that was urgent.

From what I can read, it mainly supplication, forgive me, and humble self before God, God being king, throne, pyramid, in the muslim?

Instead of real heart to heart communication with Love, and Parent?
edit on 27-11-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

From what I can read, it mainly supplication, forgive me, and humble self before God, God being king, throne, pyramid, in the muslim?

Instead of real heart to heart communication with Love, and Parent?

I think depends on the individual. How could a sincere Muslim, who sets themselves in the presence of their God, 5 times a day, earnestly asking for forgiveness and humility, not have a personal relationship with their God?

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Humility is something about not living with ego over others. Not seeking power really. Caring about others as equals. Being real. Its not subjegation and standing under something. And there is an entity, one or two I'd say at the very least, that likes domination. The point I'm making is that permissions are also being given, along with alot of programming, to submit, to stand under, to subjegate, endlessly, opening wrong doors in my books. God is Love, and Love is truly humble of heart. God/Goodness and the Good Family above are truly humble of heart and they see the potential equality in everyone, much like a Good Parent.

Not that I'm judging. Praying on demand and standing under something that wants that, is not my cup of tea is all.

And I pray often. Nearly every single day, except when I am too exhausted to think straight.

Nor am I saying being humble of heart, having gratitude and trusting in Higher Power and Goodness is worshipping the wrong side.

Faith is wonderful and very needed to walk through this dark valley and shine light.

I just wouldn't integrate that into my programming nonstop.
edit on 27-11-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I agree. I emphasize my own spirituality. I identify with no particular religion. Although I was raised Christian, certain experiences have led me reject parts of their current doctrine. Islam is also not my cup of tea.

And while expected others to come on this thread and express their viewpoint on what ATS Muslims may post in response to my questions, my purpose for posting was strictly curious, with no desire to compare differences, but I was hoping to find similarities.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   

And while expected others to come on this thread and express their viewpoint on what ATS Muslims may post in response to my questions, my purpose for posting was strictly curious, with no desire to compare differences, but I was hoping to find similarities.

this is exactly the way of mysticism. but stepping into an unknown world, needs a map or a light or an experienced leader. unless people may get lost. so this is why I insist on monotheistic religions. the real religions the soul of religions not the ego of corrupted clerics.

"Our mother is love! Our father is love!
We are born from love! We are love!"
"All loves constitute a bridge leading to the divine love."
"To love human beings means to love GOD."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Come, come over, more over, how long this brigandage? As you are me and I am you. How long this discrimination of you and I?
We are light of GOD! Why this separation among us? Why light escapes from light?
We are all from the same yeast, our brains and heads too. But under this bowed sky we see double...
From this five senses, six directions carry all what you possess to the country of Unity. Till when you will continue only to speak of Unity.
Come on, deny your Ego. Get united with everybody. So long as you remain in yourself, you are a particle. But if you get united with everybody, you are a mine, an ocean.
Believe that all spirits are One! And all bodies are One! Just like almonds in quantity hundred thousands; but there is the same oil in all of them."
There are many languages in the world, in meaning all are the same. If you break the cups, water will be unified and will flow together."
---Rumi
there is a thread about Rumi www.abovetopsecret.com...

but Hafez's poetries are really complicated and somehow misleading for ordinary people like me !!!

Search for the cup of Jamshid(something that shows all the truth) from me, years my heart made.
And for what it possessed, from a stranger, entreaty made.
A jewel that is beyond the shell of existence and of time,
From those lost on the shore of the sea, search it made.
Unknowingly, God was with me everywhere.
I couldn’t see and my soul seekest Him, made.
His magic that He all made here,
Sameri had the cane but the white hands of Moses, seekest made.
If, again, the bounty of the Holy Spirit give aid,
Others also may make those, which the Jesus made.
I said to Hafez: “The chain-like tress of idols is for the sake of what’?”
He said: “Of his own distraught heart, Hafez complaint made.”
--Hafez

edit on 28-11-2012 by maes2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
just thought i'd add my 2 cents.
the muslim prayer is a lot like the way jesus prayed, prostrated.
it is actually worship, thanking God, not asking for anything but help in being good and acknowledging his power.
we always start with surah fatiha (in the name of god, most benificient, most merciful), but after that you recite whatever you have memorized of the qu'ran that seems appropriate at the time, with a certain number of verses for each prayer.
not all prayers are the same, unless you are following an imam or in a congregation. there is a lot of room for "personalization" so to speak depending on which surahs you are reciting, though i've found that many people tend to recite the same short surahs over and over, usually because they are easier to memorize and don't take as long, but you can recite any surah you want.
at the end you can perform duas or personal prayer and you can do this in any language and for anything/anyone you want (even jews! :roll

I should also note that a clear mind is very important while worshipping, and we are directed to imagine that we are standing in front of God when we worship, because well... we are.
prayer is a very wonderful thing and always leaves me with a sense of calm and accomplishment and sometimes strikes a chord within me and i'm left crying and begging forgiveness for my ignorance and sins. hope this answers some questions.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by couldbeanyone

Thank you for that.

I believe that the God we pray to is the God that we summon.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

welcome

I agree.
It's all about your intention.

(post by Afzalsheikh removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join