It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chistianity: How can you base a religion on the teachings of one man..

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   
GrndLkeNative:

Christianity is actually (comparitively) quite LATE on the world religious scene ----in case you haven't noticed.

You want to know what else has "lasted" a lot longer than 2000 years?

Well...Buddhism for one.

The Buddha (Gautama Siddhartha) is thought to have been born around 566 BC near Kalapataru (now called Lumbini in Nepal) dying around the age of 80 in 486 BC.

That religion boasts about 2 Billion members and is still going gangbusters. That would make it about 500+ years older than "Jesus".

Hinduism is another, which may go back as far as 8,000 BC in its recogniseable forms, and comprises a set of religious traditions which are also still going strong----and MUCH MUCH older than Christianity. It boasts a membership of about 1.5 Billion persons, although mainly confined to the Indian subcontinent.

Rabinnic Judaism, as it is practiced or known today ---without blood sacrifices--- is slightly younger than Christianity (the "modern" forms began when the 2nd Temple of Herod was destroyed by Rome during the Jewish Revolt and all the levetical priests were either killed or scattered to the four winds in AD 70).

[But "Judaiesm" as a "fairly recognizable" religion or religious set of traditions (in their several forms) can be dated roughly to the time of Ezra in 480 BC---and would therefore be still almost 500 years older than Christianity--- before that it was polytheistic and was just another Canaanite offshoot, with Asherah, El, various Baals and good ol' Molech etal. worshipped right alongside YHWH before the Babylonian Exile of 587 BC).

There are many other comparatively smaller traditions which are still practiced in various parts of the world that predate Christianity (to take a random small example e.g. the Hopi Indian Tribelet religions, whose religious heritage goes back 10,000 BC at least and is still alive and kicking in the Four Corners in the SouthWestern area of the US)

Either way, just because any religious tradition survives or morphs over lengthy periods of time, does not NECESSARILY make it IPSO FACTO evidence of any "higher truth..."--it just means the ones that survive have learned to adapt and change over time, just like Christianity had to morph in order for the goyim to accept its originally zionist (torah abiding) message----largely the work of Saul of Tarsus, who was responsible for a great part of the successful morphing into pagan-gentile-land of the Greatest Story Ever Sold....

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 05:17 AM
link   
@Johannmon

I was talking about a man BTW... this JC guy.

ONLY chtsitinas were duped into thinking (hey almost gave them credit for thinking... no BELIEVE) that JC is a god... every one else involved (Jews, Islamics) all agree he was a prophet but just a normal MAN!

So scrap your "god must write" stuff and either adress the point at hand, namley the guy JC never wrote any thing yet the cristians claim "he wants this" and "he taught that" or found yourself a new christian cult and get them to believe that apples are pears.

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Chistianity: How can you base a religion on the teachings of one man..

I dont know, lets ask Mohammed, or Buddah...in the same vein, I dont think that I should believe a word of anyones Biography that I read because that also would be second hand information

new topics

<< 1   >>

join