It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global warming Stalls. Temps go down for second year

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
The most recent global temperature record, released this week, shows the average global temperature fell last year for the second year. There is now general agreement that the rising trend has stalled. This is the background against which governments will meet in Doha to negotiate a globally binding agreement to cut carbon emissions, as agreed at last year’s meeting in Cape Town, South Africa.—Graham Lloyd, The Australian, 24 November 2012

Climate change, yes, things are happening, but its not the warming that's doing it.
But watch those carbon traders push ahead to tax you.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
A couple of years in geologic time is like nanoseconds to us. Drawing any conclusions one way or the other regarding the planet's climate, or even hinting at them, based on such limited data is beyond absurd.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by winterkill

Links?
Data?
Article?
I'd like to read about this.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
sorry, the quote is from the article posted, but its a pay site, if you want to read the full article. Google the story and if anyone find other links please post them

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Don't know what that pay thing means but it shouldn't affect you from looking at the article.

Leaders face riddle of lack of warming

In short, there is agreement that the rising trend has stalled.

Many scientists accept there are natural processes at work that are not properly factored into the global temperature models.

German environmentalist Fritz Vahrenholt, a former Social Democrat Party senator, founder of wind-energy company REpower and president of the German Wildlife Foundation, has been particularly outspoken.

"According to the IPCC climate models, there should be an increase in global temperature of 0.2C per decade," he says.

"But if you look at the data series of satellite-based temperature measurements and the data from the British Hadley Centre (HadCRUT), you find that since 1998 there has been no warming; the temperature has remained at a plateau. We know how mainstream climate scientists would answer this question: 15 years is not a climate signal; it must happen for 30 years," Vahrenholt says, "But there must be an explanation for the unexpected absence of warming."

Interesting read, cheers..

If you click on the box in the right hand corner the pay thing should not bother you.
edit on 26-11-2012 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by winterkill
The most recent global temperature record, released this week, shows the average global temperature fell last year for the second year. There is now general agreement that the rising trend has stalled. This is the background against which governments will meet in Doha to negotiate a globally binding agreement to cut carbon emissions, as agreed at last year’s meeting in Cape Town, South Africa.—Graham Lloyd, The Australian, 24 November 2012

Climate change, yes, things are happening, but its not the warming that's doing it.
But watch those carbon traders push ahead to tax you.

For this statistic to indicate that it's stalled is going to require several more years of reversal or halt, at the very least.. I welcome the temporary halt in the warming trend, but it's too quick to make party cakes..

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Here is another link.

www.canadafreepress.com...

interesting

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
Here is another link.

www.canadafreepress.com...

interesting

And here in Ohio we had one of the hottest summers of my life.. two winters before, we had sheets of ice that took down power lines and blew up substations ... ( ice coupled with wind ) ..

I think the earth has a cyclical pattern for weather where it goes through warming and then cooling trends.. What I do think is that man pumping carbon into the atmosphere that has long been buried and out of the environment can't be good.. I do think that man is having an overall impact in weather patterns which could in turn be causing more extremes on both ends of the spectrum.. hotter summers, colder winters.. more extreme storms during the fall and spring months..

I think we're in just as much danger of another ice age as we are to frying ourselves..

also both of those links quote the same source... do we have any source that is not ultimately "the Australian" ?
edit on 11/26/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I noticed all of the sources in this thread thus far all point back to "the australian" so I did some googling..

Source: theconversation.edu.au...

Australia’s land and oceans have continued to warm in response to rising CO2 emissions from the burning of fossil fuels.

This is the headline finding in the State of the Climate 2012, an updated summary of Australia’s long term climate trends released by CSIRO and the Bureau of Meteorology today (14 March 2012).

The long-term warming trend has not changed.

Each decade has been warmer than the previous decade since the 1950s. Global-average surface temperatures were the warmest on record in 2010 (slightly higher than 2005 and 1998). 2011 was the world’s 11th warmest year and the warmest year on record during a La Niña event. The world’s 13 warmest years on record have all occurred in the past 15 years.

Source: www.accuweather.com...

2012 Likely to Reach Record High Global Temperature, according to NASA

NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) just posted a recap of the summer of 2010. Along with that, they also made some predictions about the global temperatures for 2011 and 2012.
As many of you already know, the summer of 2010 was the 4th warmest on record, according to GISS records, which date back to 1880. The summer of 2009 was the second warmest.

Seems to conflict with The Australian's information..

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

I think we're in just as much danger of another ice age as we are to frying ourselves..

Can I ask you, what do you think caused the ice age and the medival warm period? Obviously it was NOT our fault then, was it?

I find your statement above REALLY scary because it means no matter what happens to the temps WE will be blamed... Please stop buying into this non-sense! There has been no warming for over 15 years! Yet we still get TPTB telling us we are to blame for the weather...

I think it is the case that if you tell someone enough times then you will believe it! The fact is there has ALWAYS been extreme weather and the fact we even think we can control this is ridiculous! How long has this planet been here? Billions of years? Do you really think in that time it has not experienced some pretty horrific things? I mean what wiped out the dinosaurs?

The earth will continue for billions of years with or without us! The ONLY thing we can do is adapt and survive... Trying to control the earths natural cycles is beyond moronic!

I'm not saying YOU are moronic or stupid... Brainwashed by repetition? Perhaps...

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

This link here - The Conversation is from the 13th of March, 8 Months ago. Data can certainly change in that amount of time.

Your second link is also from 2010 and it seems NASA may have a bit of egg on their face if the latest data is possibly correct. What actual proof is there that we are causing global warming? I understand the politicians will push certain issues but where have they ever backed their claims with factual evidence?
edit on 27-11-2012 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
We have to start realizing the difference between climate warming and climate change.
There is no doubt that climate change is occurring, but one big volcano can pump out more stuff
than all of us.
Researchers in Britain showed the direct correlation between sunspots and temp change on the earth. Its not us, not that we are not polluting the crap out of everything, but we need to focus on the real cause, not the first thing that people who want to make money trading credits tell us.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by winterkill
We have to start realizing the difference between climate warming and climate change.
There is no doubt that climate change is occurring, but one big volcano can pump out more stuff
than all of us.
Researchers in Britain showed the direct correlation between sunspots and temp change on the earth. Its not us, not that we are not polluting the crap out of everything, but we need to focus on the real cause, not the first thing that people who want to make money trading credits tell us.

QFT Al Gore was already looking forward to make a pretty penny on the exchange probably running the exchange. But there are problems, such as procuring all that combustible material. We need renewable energies, not to save the earth, but because we are hungry for energy.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Merinda

There seems to be a lot of confusion surrounding this topic. One minute the warming has stalled, the next day we can expect the temps as high as 5 degrees within the next 85 years, another will tell you 2 degrees, then someone else will say that the Ice sheets on both poles will be gone within 35 years. This issue is all over the place..

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
global warming isnt real but global schemeing is rampent

new topics

top topics

join