It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the point of trying anymore ?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by surrealist

One day I would love to compare notes on your system of education verses the US.
Because I feel ours,the US is lacking a bit compared to the global educational process.

Peace,
Kev

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
The point of trying hard is to be a good slave and ensure your hardwork give TPTB a lavish,comfortable life.Thats the only point unfortunately :/
not trying to be pessimistic...just how I see it ._.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

Clearly I hit such a raw nerve with you that you overlooked a complete paragraph in my post where I mentioned that I work full time in a cushy government job where my work is very easy and the pay and conditions are great.

I apologize,I did overlook that.

My wife also works in education,started out in what used to be special education is now exceptional childhood education.
She has been in administration for a few years,but went back to the class room.
Still,long hours but good pay.

No worries. Good to hear your wife has a good job and one in an area that is very commendable.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Off topic abit,but my dad serve on the US naval ship Canberra( CA-70) back in the sixties during the cuban missile crises.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by stinka

I'm hearing ya mate.. As much as you try so hard to do the right thing these days, you always seem to get a fair kick up the butt one way or the other. I gave up on the "norm" a long time ago. Tired of being spoken to by bosses like a 2nd class citizen, tired of the long hours and crap wages, I could get a business up and running tommorow but I really coudn't care anymore and I enjoy doing what I want and not what someone else tells me to do.

Good on you and I wish you the best..

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
All right, here's what I think. There is one thing that can improve your life, and that's work. If you want to date a hotter girl, meet her looks. Psychology shows that *lasting* relationships are more likely to happen between people with similar traits.

We have a lot of magic and sorcery these days to try and get things for free, like the pickup artist community, counselors helping you "feel" better, medicines helping you "feel" better, being polite to people instead of pointing out things they could do better...

Well not really for free, but lots of tricks to raise our potential past where it should be, thus making it unbalanced.

It won't last forever.
edit on 26-11-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TFCJay

Originally posted by TFCJay

why go to work for little gain

Pride?

Exactly.
Whatever happened to work ethics and working class pride?
I always took great pride in my work, even when I used to work for "little gain".

I see this lack of working ethics growing everywhere around us in the western world today.
Sure, the economic circumstances are bad right now, but some people just don't want to work for their lifes anymore.

What caused this decline of decency?
(...and please spare me the BS about how the wellfare state killed the incentive for hard work.
We have arguably the best social state concept here and hard work is still highly respected and valued.)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
All right, here's what I think. There is one thing that can improve your life, and that's work. If you want to date a hotter girl, meet her looks. Psychology shows that *lasting* relationships are more likely to happen between people with similar traits.

What if you don't want to date a hotter girl and you really couldn't care about a lasting relationship? Does that mean you shouldn't work also?

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by stinka

Well someones got to support your lazy butt
Your the UK equivalent to this

edit on 27-11-2012 by zonetripper2065 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I agree with the OP, if companies aren`t willing to pay people a living wage then let the company pay more taxes so that those people can get paid by the government to do nothing.
a lot of companies are making record profits, even in these hard financial times, well my labor, knowledge and expertise are worth a living wage.
It makes no sense to work a full time job just to live in poverty or in low income circumstances, you can not work at all and be in those situations.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
My thoughts on this have a different direction than many others ive seen,
i work full time, generally 40-45 hours per week, I don't think its so much
that people have lost a work ethic or decency at all, some have i am sure,
there are those who think they are somehow entitled to things in life,
while i disagree that people are entitled to consumer goods i do believe
that if someone wanted to not have a normal job, live off a small plot of
land he bought and simply grow everything he wants to eat or use
that it should be a possibility, the problem is they have set up the systems
we have in a way that makes this almost impossible.

IE if you want to opt out of society and live a simple life its not so much
an option at all, i love a hard days work myself, what i do not love is
the fruit of that work going to someone who does not know what a
hard days work is, his idea of work is phone calls and checking his
bank account....... one could even say he does not have decency or
a good work ethic as he sits on his bum all day and collects the money
from everyone else hard work......

the irony here is people don't see a parallel there, they say well he built
the business and so on, when in reality he did no such thing, he took
family money and purchased a property, hired an accountant and a
store manager, a lawyer did all the legal work and now he makes a
million dollars a year off just this place...... but he does not do any real
work.

he is a good guy for sure, he could honestly pay better but ive worked for
way way worse than him, to me its just sad that i cant choose to live a simple
life off on my own or with my small family and not have to pay yearly taxes
on something i already purchased. and have the option of not doing things
just because everyone else says that it is decent to just give your life away
to others so they may prosper, its this oddly disturbing trend of a sweeping
judgement of who does and does not deserve to prosper from someones
hard work.

I believe the bulk of the monetary gain should go to those who
put in the bulk of the hard work. work hard but be rewarded fairly. there is
only slavery when someone else benefits more off the work you choose
to do than you do, if you cannot be successful while choosing to work
hard than there is no reason to do so, it takes away pride and decency
for someone to not be rewarded properly for their hard work, it is telling
them "even if you do good and give me your all this is all your worth to me,
i know you cant live off of that but its all i am giving you, even though i take
three times what you make to do nothing but watch."

Its a problem we have to address fairly, these people only get one life
on earth, to tell them that they are not worth even enough to live off
when they give you hard work is simply unacceptable to me. we could
all prosper together but unfortunately that is not what most larger companies
want, if we look at the things they choose to do then we can say without
a doubt they are only in this for the betterment of those at the top
and they claim its our own fault, we can succeed, while simultaneously
closing off all of the avenues one might actually use to do so.

Some people don't want to work hard, it is true, but those who do should
be able to live off the money they make, period. rambling rant over.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Everything is pointless, nothing is worthwhile, there is no meaning, no truth to figure out, it is all stacked against you, nobody is on your side, life is just a thin sliver of light between to immensities of darkness, living is a series of crushing disappointments punctuating regret, and folly. If you except this as truth things may not weigh so heavily on you, but I doubt it.

edit on 27-11-2012 by hotel1 because: weigh

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

omg...just that line "Its free to swipe your EBT" irks me....

get rid of EBT cards >:O

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by stinka
I read a statistic about the uk the other week it was 54% of uk households now receive more in benefits than they pay in tax.

Am I to blame for this situation I'm in ? The government have made it so. They destroyed British engineering industry and construction, and are doing nothing to rebuild these key industry's

Hey, I'm not lazy guys, I do stuff at home, I fix our cars and build my truck, but there's no point in working hard as its better to work less and play the system
edit on 26-11-2012 by stinka because: (no reason given)

"Play the system" is stealing. It is taking something from others that does not belong to you. That "something" is for those who fall on hard times - loss of job, disability, accident etc. You realised in the beginning that you were constantly working in a system designed to enslave us through money. Correct. But instead of being motivated to perhaps downsize and live very simply, reducing this trade/monetary enslavement, you decided to go to the other extreme - let others slave away and pay Caesar so that you can have your 'freedom'. You have decided to place your burdens on your fellow man unjustly, instead of choosing and acting rightly - downsizing and working just enough to pay YOUR bills. They are not MY bills, but YOURS. Forget pride - do you not have any integrity and honesty? Thou Shalt Not Steal - live it. Create that life that you want within that parameter. Those benefits are for people who need it, who shouldn't ever feel demoralised for accepting it because many like you who put the stigma into them. I live in the UK and see it very often - those who publically brag about taking public money because it is available. And I see the person who truly needs the help because their partner tragically died leaving three little mouths to feed. As the animosity grows against the bragging thieves, that mother or father with three little ones gets labeled as the same. This is what you create by your decision to do as you do. I strive relentlessly to not judge those who take benefits because none of us knows the circumstances behind the need. But you have bared your reasoning - You justify your decision to purposely "work less" because you can place your financial burden onto your fellow man and to heck with it - as long as it eases your burden to hell with the burden you place onto your fellow neighbour. Do you feel that this is morally correct?

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   
FWIW, my own perspective on this, is not so much the focus on the fact that the system is bad, but in exposing exactly why we know its so bad.

This involves repeatedly sticking what we know right in the faces of those who won't listen for any number of good reasons, since otherwise, ignoring the fact that this world is run essentially by murderous liars and thieves who have owned and run this system ever since is gonna end in tears - Sooner rather than later.

The system is a big lie-a-day con, from the bull# that its only right that we work our balls off just to survive, and by not doing so, were only making it worse for the rest, to other bull# facts such as we needed to invade country x, y, or z, because they have a nasty dictator, or their people need rescuing, or they attacked us on 9/11.

Some people just fail to understand that courtesy of the financial system we currently work under, humanity can NEVER EVER produce enough to pay the debts we are incurring. This isn't a statement dreamed up from nowhere, its just plain common sense when you look at the way fractional reserve lending works - and I challenge anyone to try and prove this statement wrong.

Not that peoples ignorance is neccesarily their own fault of course, since many people still genuinely believe that if they haven't heard it on Fox news or the BBC, or read it in the mainstream news, then it can't be so.

Wrong.

In short, its a rigged game from start to effing finish, and the sooner we get our heads around this fact and educate ourselves and others in order that we stop this stupidity, the better.

How can playing the system be wrong, when it's specifically designed to play YOU.?
edit on 27-11-2012 by markatUCR because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-11-2012 by markatUCR because: To include final comment.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by stinka

Don't let anyone tell you what to do, you know the situation, you are the wise one here, everyone who thinks you should play along in this crooked game either doesn't realise they're being conned or wants others to feel the misery of their daily life.

When I graduated from university I found it extremely difficult to get a job, any job. The only one I've had since graduating 3 years ago was working for a family business on a government funded scheme which ran for 6 months and the idea was that they would take you on after 6 months.

How naive was I?
Turns out they just want your free labour, paid by the government and when the 6 months are up they just get rid of you and take on someone else on the scheme for free.

And the boss was a complete and utter tosser to me, and treated me like dirt.

So off I was back in the unemployment line.

I've also done various voluntary work placements, but never materialise into anything.

I was starting to become depressed, unable to even get a job in a shop, I was losing sleep almost every night.
Then all of a sudden I thought F*** it!

And I started spending my time working on my portfolio (I am a 3d artist related to my degree) every day.

I am so much happier and I don't have time for a job.

I get up in the morning, and work on my portfolio until about 6 o'clock, I then play on my guitar (I'm really starting to get good now), then I spend the rest of the evening doing what I want and researching and learning new things on the internet.

I feel like I've found myself again, and if I keep at my 3d artwork then hopefully my portfolio will be so impressive that people will want me to work for them, or I could get so good at the guitar that I could start giving lessons.

Just go with the flow.

Working 9-5 for some rude employer and end up with nothing to show for it at the end of the week is a mugs game imo.

People always tell me that lifes short, and I always think well why are you wasting all of it in a crappy shop/office/factory for just enough to live off then? And then telling me to do the same?

You know what gave me this epiphany?
This video which was posted on this site a couple of months ago, and I have to say, of all the careers advice I have had, this is the best:

www.youtube.com...
edit on 27-11-2012 by SpaceMonkeys because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
My job was sent to China 8 years ago so some CEO could increase his bottom line. I guess it was too much for him to pay Americans a living wage. Tax him so him and his buddies and pay for my welfare. Up yours America!

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
The highest paying jobs are those that either (a) nobody else wants to do, like cleaning up # (plumbing, nursing, garbage collection); or that (b) nobody else can do (science, medicine, etc).

If you can get a decent paying job then you can work less and live the same lifestyle as a normal person. I'd recommend trade school.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by TFCJay

Not to bring religion into this, but isn't PRIDE one of the 7 sins?

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Hi new here, but wanted to put my 2 cents in. I have to say that people seem to be overlooking something important. The OP works 3 days a week and his gf works 2. That is the equivalent of a full-time job in the house. That is not laziness. The problem isn't them. It's the system we have set up. Why shouldn't a family be able to afford to live off the equivalent of a full-time job?

He could work the 2 more days a week and what does that get them? For those 2 days their children would require a sitter and there goes a large chunk of the extra money. It's pointless.

I live in Canada and can understand his point completely. We are penalized for working hard. My husband owns 2 delivery trucks contracted to a larger company. In 2010 we did okay. He cleared 50,000.00. It was a disaster. I lost my child tax rebate, my husbands income tax was $10,000.00 and our medical deductibles from the government went up from $200 a year to $1600. Our children no longer qualified for the free dental and eye care. When all was said and done we had $1200 a month less cash to live on than we had the year before. Doing well nearly broke us. I stay home with our kids. The youngest, whom is adopted has FASD and severe ADHD. If I were to go to work to make up the lost income it would make things even worse. My husband would no longer be able to claim me as a dependent and I can't even imagine what child care costs for a child like ours. Basically we would go even further in the hole and then I would be trapped in a crappy job just to pay the taxes so I can watch our elected officials jet set on our tax dollars while my family suffers.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join