It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For $8.00 An Hour A Walmart Employee Will Kill Your ***

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Why didn't he just steal it out in the parking lot from someone's cart, like last year? At least 40 news reports last years's black friday said they took from parking lots after people made their purchases.
edit on 26-11-2012 by ldyserenity because: clarify

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreebirdGirl

Originally posted by Spike Spiegle
reply to post by FreebirdGirl

I've worked in customer service before, it's never worth it to try an stop a shoplifter case and point your OP...

Poor guy tried to go " Rambo " for no reason and paid the ultimate price, sucks

SS

Especially when the company you work for covers their butt by saying that the employees violated company policy. Where was the manager?

Well to be honest, it is a violation of policy. When someone shoplifts from retail, all your allowed to do is call the police.

You are not allowed to restrain them, or chase them, or anything like that. It puts the employee at risk, it puts the criminal at risk, it puts the company at risk...

It basically puts everyone involved at risk -- they have what's called "Loss Prevention" and they are insured for stolen goods, so -- what's the point?

These employees just wanted to fight, that simple -- and they killed a man. Shame.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by staple

That is just unbelievably sad. I am so sorry for your loss. At least they caught the guy, though I doubt that means much to your family.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
When I worked at walmart we were told to never attempt to stop a shoplifter, and that only the loss prevention officer was allowed to do so.
From the article it sounds like this involved 2 regular employees and a security guard. When I worked over-nights we did have a security guard but he wasn't a loss prevention officer, just a guy from a security agency, I would think he would be allowed to detain people but his training from the security agency should have taught him to have better judgement so to avoid a loss of life.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Laykilla

Originally posted by FreebirdGirl

I've worked in customer service before, it's never worth it to try an stop a shoplifter case and point your OP...

Poor guy tried to go " Rambo " for no reason and paid the ultimate price, sucks

SS

Especially when the company you work for covers their butt by saying that the employees violated company policy. Where was the manager?

Well to be honest, it is a violation of policy. When someone shoplifts from retail, all your allowed to do is call the police.

You are not allowed to restrain them, or chase them, or anything like that. It puts the employee at risk, it puts the criminal at risk, it puts the company at risk...

It basically puts everyone involved at risk -- they have what's called "Loss Prevention" and they are insured for stolen goods, so -- what's the point?

These employees just wanted to fight, that simple -- and they killed a man. Shame.

Agreed. But where was management during all this? Apparently they chased the guy and had time to restrain him. The police asked the employees to release the shoplifter. So the manager was either not around or did not attempt to stop the employees.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
for those loss prevention guys that's just training for their police careers. it'll probably look good on their resumes.

i bet all 3 were offered a job.

shoplifting is not a capital offence in america. in saudi arabia probably.

it's nice to know three murderers are walking the streets now.

3 against one unarmed man is not even self defence. unless you're in the law enforcement field.

I hope all 3 get fired and Go To prison where they belong. They acted against Wal-Mart policy, took The law into thier own hands and committed a serious crime of murder.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Poor shoplifter tried to go " Rambo " for no reason and paid the ultimate price, sucks

He stole something from Wal Mart.... That's not worth dying for.

SS
edit on 123030p://am3047 by Spike Spiegle because: added text

No it isnt but its also not worth killing for. When the cop got there, all three of them were on top of him and the victim was bleeding out of his nose and mouth.
I think the DA needs to look at this case for possible manslaughter charges
edit on 11/26/2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Obviously there is more to the story, but it does seem like WM is already covering their tracks. They seem to be letting blame shift to the guard, who is most likely a sub-contractor. They will probably say that he "deputized" the store employees and that they didn't know any better. And since he is not directly employed by WM, they will be off the hook, from the assured lawsuit.
Why would the two WM employees still be receiving pay if there was anything directly tying them to the death?
My guess is that they were mgmt. but that fact was left out of the story, or omitted for cause. WM has some very big pull, and deep pockets. They forced their way into our town, and closed many a thriving local business, with their tactics.
Rest assured, when ever they are in the news, there will be WM personnel, spinning the "facts" before you see them. It's all about the money! (see my signature)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Yes, the weight of 3 people on top of the shoplifter could be what killed him. When you have so much weight on top of you, you chest can not expand for you to breathe.

That being said, am I the only person who actually read the article?

The police report said one of those Walmart employees had placed the man in a choke hold

Who is to say that this is not the reason the man ended up dead?

Fact is, with MMA being as popular as it is today, many people mimic the moves and holds they see. The problem with this is they are stupid and have no idea just how dangerous some of these holds are. It does not take long to put someone out with a choke hold. It also does not take long to cause permanent brain damage or even death from doing so.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Wal-Mart policy (at least the one where I used to live) was that you could chase them in the store, out the front doors, but as soon as they crossed the curb, they were off limits. They fired a worker for following a guy out into the parking lot one day, and trying to stop him after he stole some things. The worker tripped the thief, and the thief broke his leg. The store has probably since been sued for him breaking his leg, but I don't live there anymore so I don't know for sure.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

It's a shame he died.. had he lived he would have been a millionaire. Target employees did the same thing to a woman a few years ago and she hit the jackpot. Under no circumstances may store employees assault thieves. They may not detain thieves. They are only allowed to follow you around and call police once you leave the store.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
For $8/hour, the owners of Walmart can catch the thieves.

Most of the people I see working in stores barely care enough to wait on the customer, much less chase thieves. Maybe they needed something exciting to post on their facebook page.
edit on 11/26/2012 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Kr0nZ

Management and LP. But if any of the people approved to do apprehensions are assaulted by the suspect then the entire crew can become involved in protecting the person who attempted the apprehension.

When I was in management there we had a special code to be used over the intercom in such a case, though I have forgotten exactly what it was - and we had a group of employees, the larger males and some department managers, who were told what to do in the event that code was broadcast. That was to run to the front of the store and to pull the suspect off of the manager or LP employee who was being assaulted.

A caveat... this has been quite a number of years ago - so policies have probably adapted or changed since. But I would imagine that the basics are still similar.

In contrast - I had also managed at a big box electronics chain, that since went out of business, and because of a lawsuit their policy for shoplifters was, literally, to hold the door open for them and to smile while doing so. Losing a TV is cheaper than being sued for millions over a wrongful arrest suite.

~Heff

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
All these rent- a cop- wannabee's getting aggressive in the protection of a corporation's bottom line. That's pathetic.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join