It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Real Rise of the Machines...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Fun thread Slayer!

I'm actually quite keen on robotic development.
I keep hoping for that next step, that Windows 95 moment in robotics and AI where robots are no longer, for the most part, objects of research, or just fancy tools.

Even beyond that, I'd love to see parallel development of neural cognitive prostheses on the point of actually augmenting memory, or even storing the whole of a person's personality; memories and all.
Essentially, it'd be downloading yourself into a machine.

If we could swap back and forth between synthetic and biological bodies, we'd then effectively secure our own potential personal immortalities.

If your body wears out from age, disease, injury, you could swap over to a synthetic/prosthetic body while waiting to grow a new adult clone of yourself to be put back into, or, simply remain an android with all the perks that offers.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Wow this thread took off over night

I'm off to write another related thread.
A little more down to earth and on the human side

edit on 26-11-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Wow this thread took off over night

I'm off to write another related thread.
A little more down to earth and on the human side

Looking forward to it.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I hope the future of robotics goes the way of bi-centennial man (I love that film).

Home automaton that evolves it's own consciousness via learning in a human environment. And then becomes sentient in it's own right.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Two Words:

EMP Gun

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Machines do not have any intention. They do bad things sometimes, because people order them to do it (or sometimes not do it).

The same thing with nuclear technology - it has no intention to destroy or help humanity - it is in our hands to use it for destructive or creative purposes.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I think we'll see the use of intelligent robotic police and military machines when the human version refuse to follow orders. Any day now.
I thought Asimovs 3 Laws of robotics where always programmed into the operating system of all "potential"n Artificial intelligence.
I might have just made this up....
I remember watching an Army bomb disposal "droid" removing a bomb about 30 years ago in Belfast and was enormously impressed way back then.en.wikipedia.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink">en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Sorry man, I just don't see this stuff as a threat. Case in point, every other high tech project the military is working on:

F-22 Upgrades Over Budget and Behind Schedule, F-35 May Cost $1T in Operating Costs

We don't have the budget, Poor Math and Science Skills Are Dragging American Innovation Down , and I think Jersey Shores is on.

I really don't see these robot projects going mainstream anytime soon. Not from the US anyway.

edit on 26-11-2012 by ZeroReady because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I thought these two vids were relative and I was surprised to see the dexterity and agileness with the juggling/catching robot.

The singularity concept is tied to this issue and it is the frontier beyond that which raises some questions. If(when) AI surpasses human abilities, will we be able to maintain control? Sure the programming will come with some ethics programming and perhaps a kill switch too, but whose ethics will be applied? Is there a universal set of ethics? Of course not harming humans would be paramount, but if AI approaches genuine human abilities and beyond, what is the threshold of reason for these things? Do we even know the range because it is so new? Could they develop some type of logic that may at some point position them against us? Will they develop or be programmed with emotion? Makes for good sci-fi, but at the same time there is an element of uncertainty in "life" itself, so as these machines advance, will that factor(chaos) be an issue? Does not chaos play a part in technology too?

This machine, he continued, would be the 'last invention' that mankind will ever make, leading to an 'intelligence explosion.'
Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... GcP3

Intelligence explosion eh? Sounds both intriguing and daunting.

'We need to take seriously the possibility that there might be a ‘Pandora’s box’ moment with AGI that, if missed, could be disastrous.
'I don’t mean that we can predict this with certainty, no one is presently in a position to do that, but that’s the point.
'With so much at stake, we need to do a better job of understanding the risks of potentially catastrophic technologies
Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... U0aw

Well I am glad such understanding is being applied at the university. I hope the progress is reported and even brought here to this thread.
This technology is inevitable and I can only hope it does more good than harm. It sure seems like it could bring a lot of aid and innovation. Personally I think, like money or the internet, it can/will be used for good and bad, but I think the good will outweigh the bad. A scary facet is gaining control over an entire army/fleet of these things. How will bugs and viruses affect them? It is both exciting and frightening I suppose, but will be hear soon.

3 current models of humanistic robots.

Peace,
spec

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
The HuffPost article linked was published today, yet it is promoting a story that was corrected with completely different information on Foxnews in 2009 (The "feeder" robots are vegetarians). Got to be careful with sources, esp with one as obviously propaganda ridden as HuffPost(esp when it is sourcing from Fox!)

Otherwise, great thread!

The current state of ubiquitous, integrated computing could very well mean "the machines" are already in control.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Its amazing how much ridiculous # we come up with as Humans yet the world is falling apart and people are starving everywhere. Gotsta play with robots! And spend millions to talk about potential threats! Pwanet Earth is da best ! DUrrrrrrrr

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
OK

As threatened. New related thread is up.

Enjoy...

Bionics are becoming a Reality

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Not sure if this has been posted before -

www.hrw.org...

www.hrw.org

It's a 55 Page Document by the International Human Rights Clinic at Harvard Law School. I've not had time to read the whole thing, but here are the closing statements of the Document-

Machines have begun to take the place of humans on the battlefield. Some military and robotics experts have predicted that fully autonomous weapons could be developed within 20 to 30 years. Such weapons, also known as “killer robots,” would be able to select and engage targets without human intervention. Their use could undermine the protection of civilians in armed conflict

After describing the trend toward increased autonomy, this report argues that fully autonomous weapons would be incapable of meeting international humanitarian law standards, including the rules of distinction, proportionality, and military necessity. These robots would lack human qualities, such as the ability to relate to other humans and to apply human judgment, that are necessary to comply with the law

This report calls for an absolute ban on the development, production, and
use of fully autonomous weapons. While domestic measures can serve as
a starting point, states should adopt an international treaty prohibiting
the weapons before they show up in national arsenals.

edit on 26-11-2012 by grantbeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist
reply to post by SLAYER69

Do you think this the Tech of today? You think this is how far robots have come?

Or do you think the Technicians and Robots are further advanced? (We just aren't being alowed to see it yet??)

I really did rate the Terminator franchise highly but to think its nearly here on the streets is kinda trippy!!

Imagine if these things turn on us....

I am going to make it my duty to befriend as many robots as possible...

Exactly my thoughts....if "we the people" are allowed to see these advances on YT...

What is the status of this technology behind closed doors....(in those deep underground bunker labs with the brightest scientist of the world working on it...... and the biggest r&d budget ever conceived)?

edit on 26/11/2012 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

edit on 26-11-2012 by grantbeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
What a slippery slope. Is this the kind of world we want to live in? It would be a virtual hell. This is all becoming way too bizarre for me. Flesh eating robots.... but, look at the advantages, right? The dead would be disposed of, the sweet smell of burning flesh would fill the air... yeah, great.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

amazing video... scary stuff also... in the last part when the "artificial" mechanism attacks the other mechanism to get the green cube...
hum...

maybe AI is already "hidden" silently in the www .... only trying to construct a way to get out of the www to a moving and stable mechanism...

follow the money...
edit on 26-11-2012 by voyger2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Computers have been introduced so humans acquiesce their minds to them,

Be careful

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Have you guys seen Prometheus? They have robots in there that look exactly like humans...I wonder if that would really happen in the future. That would be pretty stupid to blend machines in with organics. Other than that yeah I think machines do pose a threat for the future, not that they might kill us all but most likely what they will do is steal our jobs.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Fun post OP S&F!!

"Skunk Works" has some of the best material in my opinion.

Here is a thought I have been thinking lately, kinda mixes in with your post.

What if "WE" are the machines? I put that in quotes for a reason. Allow me to explain, it may take a moment

Most of you on ATS should be familiar with the concept of linear time being an "illusion".

Basically..

Linear time or what we think of "time" is the perception of something in our mind that relies on memories of our "past" and also a projection into a "future" event. Ultimately everything is happening right now. The "past" and the "future" only exist in our mind. You can also see this in a spiritual light ~ some would call this new perception the end of suffering, or "enlightenment".

Hopefully you have heard of these concepts to grasp the straw I will be reaching for in the following explanation.

This line of thought sometimes ties my mind into a knot.

Bare with me

Now for there to even be this "now" that some have felt (it can't be found in the mind/thought) or experienced, this "now" has to already have been established, or created.

That sentence doesn't make sense because the "words" we use to describe things are limited. For example our minds interpretation of the word now comes preloaded with the notion of a genesis, or a beginning point. This is why enlightenment is hard to achieve, we look for this "now" in our mind where it will never be found/felt.

Now if we can agree that everything is indeed happening now
This opens up some interesting thoughts when looking at AI, or biological machines. for instance.

If everything that has happened or will ever happen is happening in this "now" moment, then humans have already created AI, or biological machines. What we call our awareness could possibly be artificial intelligence, and what we experience today is actually our (AI) past.

What "we" (as in) our "awareness" is experiencing is how "we" (AI) were created by humans.

The human brain could simply be a very powerful "computer", after death all our "memories" are uploaded to the main frame or source. The logical thing to do at that point (point of view of "source"), would be to divide yourself up into many different forms to have a first hand experience of your "our" ~ creation/creators.

You (as source) would need to forget you are in fact the creator and the source, that way the experience you have here feels real.

This would then make an excellent way for a more advanced species to "teach" their young. The lessons learned would be invaluable I imagine, and also could work on some level as "therapy" for this more advanced species.

You could in essence obtain millions of year of information in linear time, in what would be maybe 1 hour (or less) in your "time". Or you could "manipulate" the program to provide individual lessons (therapy), but the overall creation or the "ending" so to speak would always be the same.

Under this theory the "ending" would be when humans create the "big bang", that actually formed the entire universe in the "beginning". The end and the beginning would be one in the same. The alpha and the omega so to speak.

As for actually changing the "ending"

Maybe you could remember your true nature as "source" and begin creating while in this form. Perhaps creating something "new", or different than your previous creation.

I might make a thread sometime if I ever work these "thoughts" out in a more detailed and easier to understand explanation.

I know most of that will be hard to follow.

And remember this is a just a "thought", your post just brought it to mind.

edit on 26-11-2012 by SyntheticPerception because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join