It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you want the answer to our collective "problems"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Ask our children.

The things that we're thankful for tend to come from people who devote their lives to something greater than themselves. Many folks come to that devotion late in life. But Craig Kielburger discovered it early. He was in seventh grade when the death of a boy changed his life. It was a change so profound that, through Kielburger, it has now saved and transformed lives around the globe. In that moment, 17 years ago, Craig Kielburger was struck by a profound truth -- something as important as changing the world can't be left to grown ups.

Craig Kielburger: Kids are looking to get involved. They're searching for it. And in an era where, you know adults often are looking for meaning and purpose in their lives, kids also want to assert who they are, not just by the videogames they play or the peer groups they belong to, but by the contribution they make. And that's part of a youth self-identity in the world.

And not only is it good for the child, my God, our world needs it.

This is the most touching story to cross my path in quite some time. If you have 11 minutes to spare I suggest watching what our children are capable of these days.

It has humbled me in the most beautiful way ~ and given me so much hope for the "future" of our species.

Source

Craig Kielburger was a child when he noticed the needs of the world. As a 12-year-old in Canada he read about the murder of a boy his age in Pakistan. Iqbal Masih was a slave in a carpet factory. Masih escaped to lead a campaign against servitude. But within two years he was silenced. Kielburger put down the newspaper and rose to speak.

I didn't think I could, really. But the only way we're going to ever find out is try. So after doing some research, I just walked to my classmates and said, "Listen, I read this article. Here's a problem. This is what I know" -- which at that point was not very much -- and asked, 'Who wants to help?'

Turned out 11 friends wanted to help. With no money to start with, no wealthy parents or early backers, they met in his living room and started a charity called Free The Children.

[Ed Bradley: Why you?

Craig Kielburger: Why not?

If everyone in the world could say, "Why me?" -- then nothing ever would be accomplished. Why me? Because I've met those children. Because I've seen them. Because I read the story of Iqbal Masih. Why not me?]

You really must watch the video to feel the passion inside these children, they are such an inspiration for us all.

If my attempt at embedding the video fails (non YouTube/Google) here is the link.

~Video~ It's only eleven minutes you can do it.

(edit) embed failed
Sorry!
edit on 25-11-2012 by SyntheticPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SyntheticPerception
Ask our children.

Negatory.
The overwhelming vast majority of children's ideas are either childishly stupid, or just a copy of something adults are already saying.
The same is true in this case. Great kid, but the idea he has is hardly original.

Turned out 11 friends wanted to help. With no money to start with, no wealthy parents or early backers, they met in his living room and started a charity called Free The Children.

Actually he's just creating more problems.
There are already a multitude of charities, literally thousands of them, devoted to "saving children" in some way or another. The problem with creating yet another one is spreading the charity dollar even thinner across these charities, while simultaniously creating yet another layer of bureacracy and administration who's costs need to be met.

Frankly, "the children" would be better off if he would help an existing charity, from within, to become more targeted, efficient, or otherwise more able to raise funds.

Moreover, "the children" would be better off if he could find a way to assist this #ehole countries to not have these problems in the first place.

Creating more charities is a childishly simplistic answer.... even if it does make for a heartwarming story.

Edit - wikipedia has an incomplete list of 287 childrens charities, each with their own fundraisers and administrative staff and cost overheads.

edit on 25-11-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Negatory.

Sorry this story caused such a "Negatory" reaction.

Perhaps that could be our problem?

Always "seeing" the negatory in everything?

edit on 26-11-2012 by SyntheticPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

I for one was humbled by what these kids have accomplished.

Instead of yapping about the "problem" over the internet ~ they actually tried to make this world a better place.

I suppose they could have did better by joining ATS and pointing at all the shadows, right?

edit on 25-11-2012 by SyntheticPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
To me this is a reminder that the people who accomplish the most are the ones who simply don't know that "it can't be done." I've seen that many times (and a few times experienced it myself). Thank God for a bunch of dumb kids....

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

they actually tried to make this world a better place.

While this is true, this is NOT the point I was making, which was a refutation of your argument that children had all the answers.

Now you may choose to debunk a point I wasnt even arguing, but I dont see much value in that.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Why did you leave this part out of the sentence you quoted above?

Instead of yapping about the "problem" over the internet

Now you may choose to debunk a point I wasnt even arguing, but I dont see much value in that.

You win this "argument".

Your prize is located below.

At least these kids are brave enough to do more than just point at them like we do.
edit on 26-11-2012 by SyntheticPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

I was looking through some of your other threads. Couldn't help but notice every single one I clicked was you pointing out how the persons words are wrong.

Do you watch the "new topic fire hose" so you can be the first to prove how much you know about the shadows on the wall?

That must feel awesome, eh?

Namaste

top topics

join