It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Common Ground Solutions for Mankind, The Minutes of the First Meeting of the Board of Us

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Resources are scarce, and until they are abundant, wars will continue, sadly.

I watched a program on PBS yesterday talking about the Earth's age, development, and resources. Resources are not scarce, we have a world full of them.

We depend on this world (meaning, the planet, not the other people) for everything we need. Basics are a human right; it is the birthright of every person to breathe, to have water, and to have food. Hopefully they will also receive shelter and love. It is HOARDING of resources and other commodities that causes the strife.

We must learn to live WITH THE LAND, to give it care, and to be provided what we need by doing so. Long, long ago, humans did this. Then came "money." And it all went down the crapper.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
I watched a program on PBS yesterday talking about the Earth's age, development, and resources. Resources are not scarce, we have a world full of them.

You misunderstand the economic term of scarcity I believe. While resources themselves may be abundant, but the wants are unlimited. Each of those resources are placed into production which require land, capital and manpower. It is the basic tenant of even the most basic of human interaction.

We depend on this world (meaning, the planet, not the other people) for everything we need. Basics are a human right; it is the birthright of every person to breathe, to have water, and to have food. Hopefully they will also receive shelter and love. It is HOARDING of resources and other commodities that causes the strife.

As with the OP, I admire this world view, it is however hardly plausible in my estimation.

We must learn to live WITH THE LAND, to give it care, and to be provided what we need by doing so. Long, long ago, humans did this. Then came "money." And it all went down the crapper.

No, then came technological advances. Currency plays a part in it all, but technology, and the additional consumption of resources to fulfill that technology -- along with gathering, refining and manufacturing.

On the smallest scales, I believe your world view works. Small pockets of societies can achieve this, but when they see and want what a neighboring society has, they will initiate trade. If they cannot initiate trade, they will find other means of obtaining it; by force.

<< 1   >>

join