It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Common Ground Solutions for Mankind, The Minutes of the First Meeting of the Board of Us

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Hear ye, hear ye I wish to call to order the first meeting of the Board of Us. Every member has a voice and all responses are recorded for posterity here in this forum.

As we gather together in the realms of the greatest communication medium ever created we are afforded an opportunity that no generation before us has had the privilege of. We are able to discuss, debate, brainstorm, argue and offer and accept ideas from all races, nations and creeds throughout the world right here.

We find ourselves in challenging times, and challenge my friends create opportunities. Having been given the opportunity as a member of the Board of Us I would like to propose a discussion focusing on the topic of our state of affairs in the world today.

What I'm looking for is a consensus, what are the solutions for the problems we as the Human Race face?
Must we have wars, famines, disease, racism, bigotry, inequality. Is it possible to live in a world where peace is the ruling faction and human ingenuity has no bounds?

If that world is possible, how do we get there? What steps need to be taken? Whats the first step? I refuse to accept that the fate of the many is dictated by the few, we are all brothers and sisters. Think of this as a family discussion. We as a family face some obstacles. How do we as a family overcome those obstacles and leave this world a better place for the generations to come.

At this time I would like to propose a motion to proceed and open this forum for discussion. Lets begin with identifying the Social Issues and Civil Unrest that we as the Board of Us accept as a challenge, and with our combined experiences, knowledge and innovative thought offer solutions that may be put in practice to make our world the home we all want it to be.

Does anyone second the motion?

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
*seconded*

loose the binds of intolerance and expand the minds of acceptance.

'tis the only way we will ever 'grow' as a race, nation or peoples of this earth.

i may not have all the answers, but if we were to merely do the above, the world would most certainly prove a better place for All her inhabitants.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I second that motion and would like to open with addressing the issue of false scarcities.

It is without question that there are certain natural resources of limited quantity and escalating value. There are, however, other resources that are denied to the many that potentially could be abundant.

I am talking about food.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
The only race is the human race, when we all figure that out, we will be better off. It is time for US to take care of our brothers and not rely on the government to do it. There is something, no matter how small, that each of us could do to take care of our fellow human beings. Sometimes all it takes is a smile and a kind word.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies and seconding the motion to proceed. I truly do believe that we can all come together and solve the problems we face. The solutions that are provided here can be taken and put in to practice one circle of influence at a time. It is a privilege to have started this thread.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by authortobe

common ground solutions aye
restoring ground to be common would be start in itself

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
The issue of false scarcities has been put before the board, food shortages. Does any one have anything to contribute?

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

As I opened the discussion, I feel somewhat obliged to share an idea. It is not a "for profit" idea...it is a "for food" idea. There are vast stretches of farm-able land that is sitting unused...it is owned by "we the people" and yet we can do nothing with this fertile land as our "keepers" (aka the federal Fov) forbid it.

How can we open said lands to communal farming?
edit on 11/25/2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

false scarcities needto be eliminated and a return to 'fair market value' instantiated.

no more of the subsidized dumping of food/crops, etc in order to maintain a price in the market place.

if the market's flooded, or just plain 'saturated', so be it ... let the leanest producers survive .. and the others can reformulate their 'business model'
or go belly up.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
How about a petition? You have to start somewhere. Specifics would be important but with enough support and signatures of course we could at least get someone to look at the idea and give us good reason if we were denied.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   

petitions, of any sort, are specifically outlined by the T&C as 'no goes' here on the boards.

activism isn't what ATS is about. it's a venue for discussion, not a platform from which to launch from

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I second the motion.

For starters,
I propose that we eradicate all forms of currency.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

just offering an idea not soliciting

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Um,it's kind of bad timing because soon it will be each small town or village for itself.
Food is not being produced as much as it was because of droughts.
The solution now is to hunker down,protect your own and hopefully remain part of mankind.

Sorry to be such a downer,it's just how I see it now.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I want everyone to understand that in no way am I recruiting, soliciting, usurping, trolling, mining, or any other "ings".
My purpose is only to identify, discuss, and maybe hear some good ideas.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I'm in a really crabby mood tonight, forgive me.

The book What's the Matter with Kansas, has been mentioned on ATS. The thesis was that something must be wrong with the population of Kansas as they vote Republican, but their financial best interests would be served by voting Democrat. The writer was astonished.

During the campaign, ATSers pointed out over and over that the Red states received more Federal assistance. Apparently the idea was that they were either foolish or hypocritical to vote that way.

I assume that any solution for any problem that the board brings up will require people to behave differently. My question is simply, "Why should they?" There have been, and will be, suggestions that the government should make people do this and that, perhaps force people to go to newly available arable land to farm. You'd have to make them, wouldn't you?

Outside of religious groups, and millionaires who give away a fraction of their wealth, and bureaucrats who mindlessly hand out money they've taken from someone else, who elseis making a big difference today? Sure, there are some. Usually temporary effects achieved by investing some excess free time, or by persuading others to cough up $5.

So, again, why should anyone wrench their lives around to help the world unless they get something in return? You've got to make sure their costs are covered (unless you pass a law that says nothing costs anything), and that they have a pretty decent life to go with their efforts.

I told you I was crabby, but I hope you don't identify the problem as lack of food, the solution as grow more food, and then go on to the next problem believing you've solved the food problem.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

So, again, why should anyone wrench their lives around to help the world unless they get something in return? You've got to make sure their costs are covered (unless you pass a law that says nothing costs anything)

Ummm....

Bingo!

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

Dear Bone75,

In that case, why should anyone do anything, except for themselves? Unless you're suggesting that the government will provide workers with places to sleep and things to eat as long as they keep working at their government assigned tasks.

Some will go into the woods, the rest will go into camps to assemble machinery, or whatever the government, or the world, thinks it needs.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Seconded (though I think this might be considered fifthed, lol).

I suggest that the problem is part greed, part lust, part ambition, part hate, part fear, and part hopelessness. In short, human emotions are the problem. As long as these emotions remain, then there will always be personal and societal strife. Can we do anything about it? Well, if no one wants to order all humans to wear a chemical patch that neutralizes these emotions, then this thread is all for nothing.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by authortobe
What I'm looking for is a consensus...

I shall never offer consensus. Not to interject ill will, but consensus has led to many bad decisions. Most recently, relatively, was the 2/3rds "compromise"; consensus based, rather than principled. Even one of my historical heroes fell to this. I cannot ascribe to consensus just to feel good being around people who all agree willfully and blindly.

what are the solutions for the problems we as the Human Race face?

I admire your vision. I truly do. I do not however admire your scope. You are speaking to such a small miniscule portion of the world. While change can be effected from the smallest grain of sand, This avenue I believe isn't it. Of course, this is my opinion of the matter. Nonetheless, I deeply mean it when I say I applaud you for your efforts.

Must we have wars, famines, disease, racism, bigotry, inequality. Is it possible to live in a world where peace is the ruling faction and human ingenuity has no bounds?

Noble and grand questions! Famines are typically driven from natural sources, as are diseases; those we can exclude. Wars, unfortunately, will continue until we either move beyond the basics of capital, manpower and utility -- I personally do not see this in the near future. Resources are scarce, and until they are abundant, wars will continue, sadly. Racism, in its truest form, is compartmentalized. Bigotry is a natural human tendency that is ugly and education can fix.Case and point: my kids do not see color until they are shown color. They have no qualms against other religions until they are taught otherwise and so on and so on.

I know you seek consensus, you seek Justice. Those are noble and indeed a worthy ambition. Some ails are curable, others are not. We should seek to stamp out injustice where we see it, not by seeking justice itself, but by limiting the injustices.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join