It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Father's frustrated letter goes viral; highlights the generation gap

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I do believe its a generation gap.

dad's dreams of his kids becoming prestigious salary slaves fell to the wayside

oh well..as the french would say .. c'est la vie!

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
This man is an IDIOT.

This is abundantly clear from one statement - the 'happy news' that his friends tell of their children.

If he had any brains at all he'd realize that people LIE. And embellish. And keep the bad news to themselves.

Just like someone who believes everything they see on Fake Book. People LIE. They put up false fronts.

If he is stupid enough to believe his friends tales - he is - an IDIOT.

What a jerk.

And yet more Daily Fail Conservative Propaganda telling people to WORK HARDER. Which is ironic because they're also the ones promoting breeding all the time - where do you think people get their ill timed copulation ideas from? Huh? Angry Dad?

More BS from the Daily Fail highlighting the thoughts of one of the boneheaded sheep followers that they love so much.

Work harder? Uh, NO. I personally do like the Conservatives and find others to scam, get them to work for me, exploit them and cheat them. You want Conservative action? YOU GOT IT BABY!

Oh and this fool - speaking of copulation which he seems fixated on - if he didn't want to be disappointed he should not have had sex. Like they say - keep your pants on! So, in line with Conservative thought - it's his own damn fault anyway!

What a jerk. I'd tell him to drop dead.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
The baby-boomers had it wonderful, and they think that this generation should be doing just as well as them. They dont realize that each worker NOW does the work of SEVERAL workers rather than ONE worker like the Baby-boomers had it. AND, we need 10 times the education and 10 times the SKILLS then thay needed for their jobs. And with all this, todays workers do it for WAY LESS MONEY. Lemme explain...

...When we factor in inflation from the 60's to now, we in America should be making near $18 per hour MINUMUM WAGE!!! Thats HOW GOOD the baby-boomers had it back in the 60's when they started off in their careers. The EQUIVALENT of $18/hr!!! MOST workers today at the beginning of their careers would think they died and went to HEAVEN to make $18/hr right now instead of $7 or $8 dollars which is NOT a wage to live on.

No wonder the baby-boomers think this generation is a FAIL!! They had it MADE-IN-THE-SHADE back then!!! Worked the job of ONE person, with NO REAL EDUCATION or SKILLS, and made GREAT WAGES to buy things that made them "look" like they were such "WONDERFUL" and "HARD" workers.

Golden years are long gone old folks!! The baby-boomers seem to be too SENILE to see that things have CHANGED... and CHANGED FOR THE WORST for todays workers... If Baby-boomers were in their PRIME today, they would NOT CUT IT in todays job market!!!!! Not even close. They would NOT survive, no way, NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!!!!!!

edit on 25-11-2012 by oper8zhin because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Not too much agreement with his rant that the children aren't living up to their education. Economy is much different, and his one daughter moved to France, which put her career in the air.

But I completely agree with him on the selfishness or lack of self-awareness shown in choosing their marriage partners. Three kids, four divorces? Really? Sorry to disagree with the psychs that have been trying to prove for years that divorce/remarriage does not hurt the kids (grandchildren in this case), but it does. Marriage, child, divorce, remarriage, new children, divorce - it SUCKS to be the kid in this scenario.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Bad Dad, he didn't do a bad job of bringing up his children. He didn't bring them up at all, he sent them off to boarding school. If he thinks they've turned out bad he should look around, they seem to be doing a lot better than many others these days.
You have to live your life the best you can, but in your own way so long as you're not harming anyone. He's a selfish man trying to control their lives, I hope they keep doing their own thing, living their own lives.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by oper8zhin

No wonder the baby-boomers think this generation is a FAIL!!

I am a Baby Boomer and I do not think this generation is a FAIL!

No generation before this has ever been as openly aware of the world as this generation.

This is the generation of the Information Highway.

This is the generation when women and minorities are finally close to equality - - and can take charge themselves to keep evolving.

This is the first generation fully aware of Ecology and Affects man has on the planet.

This is the first generation that needs to seriously take responsibility for irresponsible procreation.

It has nothing to do with FAIL. It does have to do with differences.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
The old man needs to get a grip.

Sometimes things don't work out like they do in our dreams

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

No generation before this has ever been as openly aware of the world as this generation.

This is the generation when women and minorities are finally close to equality - - and can take charge themselves to keep evolving.

This is the first generation fully aware of Ecology and Affects man has on the planet.

This is the first generation that needs to seriously take responsibility for irresponsible procreation.

Well said Annee, I have been kicked down, and kicked hard. But manage to move back to my childhood home with my wife, and help my mother take care of my 95 YO grand father, we are withing a month of celebrating 5 years back home, and the wife and I happily abode in 800 square feet. Hippies, yeah maybe, rednecks, probably, but we look after our own. This past summer, all three of the wife's kids moved here to Misery, are working and loving it. People need to take care of there families, and not have the attitude of the asshat who was talked about in the OP.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Really? He is to blame. One child that didn't turn out well, maybe. But all of them? I think he needs to quit whinning. He and his wife are to blame.

He is ex-military. He lived a life that made his family second in everything. The more he achieved the less he had for them. Their lives are a mess and he has no love for them. His friends have happy children and he has no good stories to share. Well, hello, I think he needs to get a clue.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by theMediator

Obviously you have not one bloody clue what a sub captain does or knows.

Your head is south and firmly so.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Right on, DAD. They ARE losers.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by BubbaJoe

Originally posted by Annee

Well said Annee, I have been kicked down, and kicked hard. But manage to move back to my childhood home with my wife, and help my mother take care of my 95 YO grand father, we are withing a month of celebrating 5 years back home, and the wife and I happily abode in 800 square feet. Hippies, yeah maybe, rednecks, probably, but we look after our own. This past summer, all three of the wife's kids moved here to Misery, are working and loving it. People need to take care of there families, and not have the attitude of the asshat who was talked about in the OP.

I have and had similar situations.

I personally think the - - "single family unit" - - a major contributor to the downfall of society.

I've pretty much always had someone (family or friend) living on my couch. Every body brings something to the family - - - and every body learns give and take.

edit on 25-11-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
His letter comes off to me as typical British upbringing where they feel they must compete with other parents. Poor Mr. Crewell doesn't get to boast about his children at dinner parties. Why can't he just lie like the rest of them do. Is he that thick ? Is it really that important what type of career or marriage you think your child should have? His fretting over his grandchildren is most likely exaggerated. I'm sure they are doing just fine. He admits he didn't take the time to talk to his daughter and dumped it all on his wife. She is just as bad saying she agrees. He's a dick that he didn't step in until now.

I have a hunch even if they reported something good to him it still wouldn't be good enough. Nobody measures up to his high standards and yes he is out if touch with the modern world, not that he's that old.

All he complained about was he didn't get to boast about them because what other people think takes priority.
He made his children feel like pieces if #. He needs a good slap! Shame on him.

And what is this other parents would like to tell their children the truth but wouldn't dare?
I can talk to my children however I want and vise versa.
Thank God I left England.

My father has made comments to me about my life and I wasn't afraid to set him straight and explain to him this is hurtful and wrong. He isn't doing that anymore. We talked it through.
edit on 25-11-2012 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

link   
Double post sorry

link   

He should be more concerned they are healthy instead of carrying on about keeping up appearances

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I disagree, I brought up my two sons on my own and I'm very proud of the way they've turned out.
Their father put himself first and I just couldn't live with that. No two families are the same and I know of a lot of families with two parents who are doing a rubbish job of bringing up their children.

ETA. I think I might have misunderstood what you said, sorry if I did.
edit on 25-11-2012 by LEL01 because: I might have been wrong.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Bad Parent.

Parents who want to live vicariously THROUGH their children; pushing the children to be that which they wanted for themself ... that's just plain wrong.

A parent's job is to make the tough decisions, endure the hardships and savor the good times, and then cut them LOOSE when they are grown.

A parent should give their child(ren) the necessary moral tools (Now, now! If you spit in your boss's face, don't be surprised if you get fired.) and all the skills they can afford or muster that the child asks for (swimming lessons etc.) and all the parenting know-how (feed a cold, starve a fever - or is it the other way around?
) they can.

It's not a parent's job to give the child every material item they want just because everybody else has one. (Like my spouse's computer. It was opened 1 1/2 years ago and used for a whole 5 minutes. It gathers dust now.)

A parent has to LET the child BLOSSOM or whither on their own. When the child is an adult, they are NOT children anymore. Get over it and move on with your life.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by oper8zhin

I think the Dad's point is embedded in there. His father's generation fought a world war and put a man on the moon. His generation lived under nuclear brinksmanship and globalization. His children reaped the benefits of the previous generations in a world of abundance and peace allowing them to attend college.

What do we do with that? Complain about "the system" as if that system was not a thing made and shaped by men. We're the generation that suffers at the hands of unknown gods. His letter states that his children do not even take control of their lives. If we do not take control of the internals what hope do we have remedy the culture and community problems.

If you're over 25 you can be a Congressman in the US.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by LEL01
reply to post by Annee

I disagree, I brought up my two sons on my own and I'm very proud of the way they've turned out.
Their father put himself first and I just couldn't live with that. No two families are the same and I know of a lot of families with two parents who are doing a rubbish job of bringing up their children.

ETA. I think I might have misunderstood what you said, sorry if I did.

I'm not really sure what you are referring to. I brought up 2 daughters alone - - and now helping raise grandchildren.

They're father was jealous of them - - he didn't want to share me with them - - and it was beginning to affect them. Bye Bye.

We had roommates - - we lived with friends - - we lived with my alcoholic mother. Anything to keep them with their friends in a good neighborhood. They learned everything is not perfect - - people are different - - etc.

Life is what you make it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join