It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man invented dates and time, hence they are meaningless.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI
reply to post by watchitburn

As the Pope has just reminded us, Jesus was probably born around seven years earlier than originally calculated, so the true date, in "A.D." terms probably ought to be 2019.
That rather mucks up all the number-symbolism associated with "12-21-2012". "12-21-2019" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

The whole 2012 thing has nothing to do with number symbolism.

It has to do with the end of Mayan calendar which just so happens to fall on the winter solstice this year.

Just sayin'.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Time and dates are just numbers. Your perception is good, all the hype about december 22st is mostly hype. There will be alignments but there are alignments every day. I worry more about the things I can do something about than those I can't do anything about. I see a lot of problems in the near future but these have no ties to a particular date. Maybe something will happen on the 21st, maybe it won't. Even if something big does happen it can still be a coincidence, impossible to prove. That is unless God shows up or an Alien fleet shows up.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
From a planetary or universal perspective we are simply microorganisms walking on the surface.

Like a dust mite on skin. You wouldn't even know it's there.

The only reason we have "time" is because we needed to know when the Sun came up or went down.

Now we know to a microsecond when a new year has begun. Only it makes no difference..

Anything of significance is only significant to us, especially time and anything related to it.

Yet we somehow still feel special enough to give credence to a day like December 21st because someone in the past with a way less knowledge base GUESSED something MIGHT happen..

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
blind cats in a dark cellar.

Which horse has the better line the one on the inside or the one on the far edge?

I run circles round you guys.

edit on 25-11-2012 by usernamehere because: sky-net made me do it

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
By the way OP, man didn't "invent time", man invented ways of measuring the passage of time(I'm sure somebody else has pointed this out already).

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

That depends on your perspective. Sure I suppose it could effect someones emotions, but then emotions are just chemical reactions occurring in your brain. Or delusions.

If you can see with a broad enough perspective, everything becomes irrelevant.

reply to post by _BoneZ_

The bible is unacceptable as evidence, for anything.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Its EASY to see what the OP is saying and he/she is CORRECT. Its because of delusional minds here all congested with mythical, folk-lore, tall-tales and fairytale delusions, that they arent GETTING IT.

The delusions of fictional beliefs turn the masses brains to MUSH where they cannot see even the SIMPLEST OF COMMON SENSE. They have to UN-MUSH
their brains THEMSELVES and only then will they UNDERSTAND common sense reasoning.

They are USELESS with MUSH for brains OP!! I used to be ONE OF THEM and boy do I feel SILLY NOW!! But at least I dont have brains of MUSH anymore like they do.

These POOR MUSH BRAINS are going to be LAUGHED AT by EVERYONE come on 12/22/12!!! CANT WAIT!!!!!!!

edit on 25-11-2012 by oper8zhin because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by AdventureTime

While this alignment might not be a common occurrence, it has happened before.

There is no evidence to suggest that it will cause the end of the world, as the article you linked so plainly pointed out.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by oper8zhin

I wouldn't go around calling everyone a "mush brain" that's just rude.

It's just human nature to want to believe that there is something unique and special about their lifetime. There have always been people believing that the world was going to end any time now, and that their time was the most important time ever.

It's going to continue to happen as long as there are people. And there is nothing anyone can do about it.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
While I get your point that time as we know and measure it was just an artificial way for man to track time, and that there have been different measurements of it and with all the variance, no time can be correct.... I must however play devils advocate for the 2012 crew. The date of dec 21st 2012 isnt some date that the maya picked. And the argument that because our system is wrong it could easily be 2019 so whats the point, is false. Because the dec 21st 2012 date is the quantification we have interpreted through experts who all agree, it is based on our flawed system. Therefore, if we were wrong and it was really 11/25/2019 right now, then the maya calendar would end 12/21/2019... Understand what I'm saying? It was a lot harder to type out my point than I thought it would be .. phew lol....

Now that doesn't mean I think a damn thing other than the usual will happen on that day.. But I just wanted to clarify that.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Seems to me there are some serious misunderstandings here along with a lot of selective use of evidence. Some of the stuff we DID invent; some we did not. Some reflect the state of our planet.

THE YEAR: We did not invent the year. The Earth completes an orbit every 365-1/4 days regardless if we are here to remark upon it. HOWEVER, we DID invent the idea that this is 2012. In the greater scheme of things that is completely arbitrary. It could be 5012. In either case, this has NOTHING to do with the Mayan calendar, which ends its cycle on December 21st REGARDLESS of what year we think it is. There is no real relationship between the two. So if you are claiming that the "real" year is 2019, therefore the Mayan calendar is off, then you are missing the point. The Mayans did not know about our current year structure. It's not about us; it's about them. The numerology of 12-21-12 is completely irrelevant, a superficial diversion.

THE MONTH: We did not invent the month, but we screwed it up. The month is roughly based on the moon's orbit around the Earth, but obviously, it is terribly inaccurate, otherwise we'd have the full moon on the same day of the month every month. Many different ideas of how we should divide up months have been proposed--and rejected. We appear to be stuck with this one.

THE WEEK: Completely arbitrary and our invention.

THE DAY: Not our invention.

THE HOUR, MINUTE, SECOND: Our inventions, though convenient.

DECADES & CENTURIES: Completely arbitrary. If we had six digits per hand we'd be using a base 12 numbering system and the number 10 or 100 would be relatively meaningless compared to base 12's "10," which is 12, and base 12's "century," which would be 120.

INCHES, FEET, YARDS, MILES: Completely arbitrary and historically variable.

CENTIMETERS, METERS, KILOMETERS: A bit of a mix. It's arbitrary in that it is a base 10 numbering system, but at least it is related to the size of the Earth, which isn't arbitrary at all.

CONCLUSION: Man invented the time and date system, it is true, but was constrained by the real world mechanics of the Earth-Sun system. The basic system is not arbitrary, though some of its components have been invented for convenience. It is not meaningless, but December 22nd will be just 24 hours after December 21st and no big deal.

Except for the sound of crickets when all the doomsayers melt into the woodwork.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
Time was invented for a reason. To track the cycles of seasons, celestial events, and return of their gods.
It wasn't invented by man but taught to man.
edit on 25-11-2012 by AccessDenied because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-11-2012 by AccessDenied because: spelling

----------

I agree with AccessDenied's comment about time. Time was not " Invented by man " just as the Sun, Moon, Earth, outer planets and stars where not invented or made by man. Time is very important in the life of man here on this earth.

However, I do agree with the Op's points made about certain dates not being Important.

Such as the upcoming date of 12-21-2012 - People are blowing this date way out of proportion, because it is supposed to be connected somehow to the " So Called " Mayan long count calender. Of course Hollywood, and All of the Best Selling Book Authors of Fiction just want to Capitalize on mankinds fear and ignorance.

And then most recently at the Spring of this year when the " Not So Famous Now Preacher " Harold Camping Jr. made his Prediction that The Rapture of the Church was going to happen last Spring. Harold Camping Jr. just " Knew " that was the date of the Rapture, because he somehow supposedly figured it out from the biblical scriptures and prophecies. He was Totally Wrong and Fooled just like all of his congregation and radio followers.

Time is however very important for everyone living on this planet for more reasons that " Time " will allow to post them.

Here are some examples of just How Important Time is in everyone's life.

Every Moment Is Precious

To realize the value of ONE THOUSAND YEARS Ask a programmer who has programmed with 2 digits for the year's value.

To realize the value of ONE HUNDRED YEARS Ask a Hong Kong resident who has witnessed the Handover.

To realize the value of SEVENTY YEARS Ask a dying Christian who has never shared the Gospel with others.

To realize the value of FORTY YEARS Ask an Israelite who has traveled in the wilderness.

To realize the value of SEVEN YEARS Ask a professor who did not get his sabbatical leave.

To realize the value of FOUR YEARS Ask a U.S. president who was not re-elected for the second term.

To realize the value of ONE YEAR Ask a student who has failed to promote to next grade.

To realize the value of ONE MONTH Ask a mother who has given birth to a pre-mature baby.

To realize the value of ONE WEEK Ask an editor of a weekly.

To realize the value of ONE DAY Ask a daily wage laborer.

To realize the value of ONE HOUR Ask a driver who is getting stuck in traffic.

To realize the value of ONE-HALF HOUR Ask the lovers who are waiting to meet.

To realize the value of ONE MINUTE Ask a person who has missed the plane.

To realize the value of ONE SECOND Ask a person who has survived an accident.

To realize the value of ONE-TENTH SECOND Ask the person who has won a silver medal in Olympics.

To realize the value of ONE MILLI-SECOND Ask the (electric) power engineer who has brought darkness to a city.

To realize the value of ONE MICRO-SECOND Ask the person who has bought a Pentimum machine.

To realize the value of ONE NANO-SECOND Ask the digital circuit designer who has just promoted.

To realize the value of ONE PICO-SECOND Ask the analog circuit designer who has filed many patents.

To realize the value of ONE FEMTO-SECOND Ask the physicist who has won the Nobel prize.

Treasure every moment that you have !

--Jackson Leung, leung.com

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by chrisb9

If you were meant to run in circles like the diamonds in the sky you would but no you were built to be more than that. Hook a circle to the psyche of the man change the radius as you please and he will be yours. but you ain't care about your own soul so why should i.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Thank you, that was well put.
Many of the points you made were ones I was trying to make.

What I am trying (and apparently failing) to get people to take away from this thread, is that the significance and meaning we attribute to dates and time is only relevant to our interactions with each other in our daily lives.

The universe does not care how we choose to measure it's comings and goings, the Earth is not going to experience a fiery or otherwise armageddon, there will be no paradigm shift, no global consciousness awakening, and no spiritual uplifting on December 21st.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

humans only named time...they did not invent it

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
You know Time is relative to everyone. What man has tried to do is bring together a continuity of time between everyone based on celestial objects.

The only thing dates and actual clock numbers represent is the illusion of measure. Why? Possibly to take control of this world... For if the measure of time was absent, this world would be chaos.. Definitely sounds like a conspiracy.

S&F

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by oper8zhin
Its EASY to see what the OP is saying and he/she is CORRECT. Its because of delusional minds here all congested with mythical, folk-lore, tall-tales and fairytale delusions, that they arent GETTING IT.

The delusions of fictional beliefs turn the masses brains to MUSH where they cannot see even the SIMPLEST OF COMMON SENSE. They have to UN-MUSH
their brains THEMSELVES and only then will they UNDERSTAND common sense reasoning.

They are USELESS with MUSH for brains OP!! I used to be ONE OF THEM and boy do I feel SILLY NOW!! But at least I dont have brains of MUSH anymore like they do.

These POOR MUSH BRAINS are going to be LAUGHED AT by EVERYONE come on 12/22/12!!! CANT WAIT!!!!!!!

edit on 25-11-2012 by oper8zhin because: (no reason given)

Yeah? Well your post is the biggest load of "mush" I've seen on ATS for a while.

What is it that everyone's not "getting"?

Actually, on second thoughts don't bother

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
reply to post by schuyler

The universe does not care how we choose to measure it's comings and goings, the Earth is not going to experience a fiery or otherwise armageddon, there will be no paradigm shift, no global consciousness awakening, and no spiritual uplifting on December 21st.

While I tend to see this 2012 thing the same way as you do, I have to ask: why are you so sure?

There are many theories as to what is supposed to happen on this date etc. And to me it all depends on what foresight you attribute to the Mayan creators of their calendar, it has nothing to do with our modern methods of measuring time.

For example some scholars have suggested that the Mayans had specific knowledge of the cycles of activity our sun goes through and this date may have relevance to that cycle ie. we could see a huge increase in sun activity from this date onward, and therefore be hit by a succession of massive solar flares, which as you know could spell the end of our society as you know it.(I'm just giving this as a hypothetical example) How are you so sure nothing will happen?

edit on 25-11-2012 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn

While I agree nothing will happen out of the ordinary on Dec.21, your OP does nothing to prove it. Yes we invented dates, and by using these inventions we can accurately predict some of the outcomes of the "comings and goings" of the universe. I can tell you on November 28th there will be a full moon, and even though November 28th is an invention of man, there will be a full moon. Hypothetically, there's no reason the Dec 21st date couldn't be a correct fulfillment of a prediction of the goings on in the universe. Now I don't believe that is the case, or was ever meant to be the case, but just because we invented the terms for December 21st doesn't mean it is meaningless.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Time is a funny thing. We didn't invent it, we categorized it...we like doing that.

We know (and knew for eons) what a day is...the sun rises, crosses the sky, sets and rises again...1 day. We learned that certain other things happened in the sky and it took so many days for that to occur. We saw how the moon grew from a sliver into a full disk and slowly diminished again...that cycle took "x" amount of days...then they noticed funny little specks of light also seemed to move and return over even more days...

This is the first kind of time that we learned...then we got obsessed with breaking it down into smaller and smaller increments...

I don't believe crapola about the 2012 thing...but that is just me...everyone is free to believe whatever they want...but if I understand how the calender round works, it was based on celestial cycles. We "Europeans" are the ones who made a calandar that is extrapolated to mean this "calendar round" ends on Dec 21, 2012. I don't think if you went back in time and told a Mayan that today is November 25, 2012...he would have a clue what you were talking about.
edit on 11/25/2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/25/2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join