It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If 2012 Doesn't Happen We're Doomed

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Greetings ATS, I am making my first thread here because I want to address something that's been on my mind.

Over the past year or so, I have been developing a unique awareness. The fact that humans are able to go to the store and buy readily available food in exchange for paper... or the fact that humans can travel extremely long distances in cars just by filling them with gas has become very unnerving to me.

With respect to the way that our modern society functions, we are reaching thresholds.

There are thresholds in world finances, politics, money, poverty, resource sustainability, and ecological transformation. What I mean by thresholds is that we have reached a tipping point.

If we keep following our current course... or if we do not make a DRASTIC change in the fundamental factors that mandate our society, humanity will crumble. We have created a way of living that is completely unsustainable.

So, back to Dec 21 2012. If nothing happens? I will be disappointed. Not because "consciousness won't evolve", but because humanity will drive itself to the ground.

This ending of the Bak'tun offers a turning point. It poses the chance for change. Because of everything I have said thus far, something HAS to happen.

The question isn't whether something will or will not happen.
For such a big change to occur that de-roots the basis of our current society, the question you have to ask yourself is... what COULD happen?

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
So you want something bad to happen? You see the death and destruction of humanity as a good thing? A chance to reset things? I wonder if you'd be so happy if it was ll of your family that died, and it left you crippled and unable to take care of yourself....

Those who want this 'destruction' to happen baffle me.

Edit to add, what makes you the expert on what humanity needs? Im sure plenty thought humanity needed a reset with the rise of the third reich... But we adapt and evolve and right wrongs as best we can. Theres always going to be trouble on the horizon.
edit on 25-11-2012 by bknapple32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by kingster129

If you're talking about desired social changes, there's no need to tie them to a date and give them a deadline.
Anything that isn't happening by the end of December could be happening by the end of May.
The deadline is artificial and unnecessary.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

Fail on the attention to detail...

OP:

So, back to Dec 21 2012. If nothing happens? I will be disappointed. Not because "consciousness won't evolve", but because humanity will drive itself to the ground.

Great point and without the usual rhetoric regarding this date...

Something profound needs to happen before the wheels of change start to turn - and unfortunately, if something does take palce, quite a few won't even notice.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32
So you want something bad to happen? You see the death and destruction of humanity as a good thing? A chance to reset things? I wonder if you'd be so happy if it was ll of your family that died, and it left you crippled and unable to take care of yourself....

I should have clarified.

The transition period has the potential to be catastrophic. But the world changes that would occur are what I'm looking forward to.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Now that is an interesting premise if I read your words correctly here.

You're basically saying that if Dec 21 - 2012 doesn't give a major off-ramp of change to the road we're all on ...good or bad... then we'll pass the last ramp we have and just kinda putter down the road until we run out of gas, hit the side of the road and just kinda sit there in a world of Fail.

Hmmm... I can see your point. So many DO have SO much invested in this idea of changes, ends, new beginnings or even Rapture that to have NOTHING happen will be the worst shock of all for many.

Personally, I'm going to be drunk as a skunk on Dec 21...from about 11:30pm on the 20th to after midnight of the 21st. Indeed... If it all happens, someone tell me about it when the hangover fades on the 22nd. I'll love to hear all about what I am SURE I will have no personal memory of.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Now that is an interesting premise if I read your words correctly here.

You're basically saying that if Dec 21 - 2012 doesn't give a major off-ramp of change to the road we're all on ...good or bad... then we'll pass the last ramp we have and just kinda putter down the road until we run out of gas, hit the side of the road and just kinda sit there in a world of Fail.

Hmmm... I can see your point. So many DO have SO much invested in this idea of changes, ends, new beginnings or even Rapture that to have NOTHING happen will be the worst shock of all for many.

Personally, I'm going to be drunk as a skunk on Dec 21...from about 11:30pm on the 20th to after midnight of the 21st. Indeed... If it all happens, someone tell me about it when the hangover fades on the 22nd. I'll love to hear all about what I am SURE I will have no personal memory of.

Yes that is a good analogy.

I keep hearing people talking about getting drunk on the 21st... this is probably the worst thing you could do... it mutes all of your senses.

I for one will be meditating.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift
reply to post by bknapple32

Fail on the attention to detail...

OP:

Great point and without the usual rhetoric regarding this date...

Something profound needs to happen before the wheels of change start to turn - and unfortunately, if something does take palce, quite a few won't even notice.

Fail on trying to fail me. Its the same old same old. Every generation thinks they are the special ones to witness the last days. Its pretty egotistical. And I see humanity as the same as it always has been. We just live in a day and age where the world is connected like never before so it seems worse than the past.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingster129
This ending of the Bak'tun offers a turning point. It poses the chance for change. Because of everything I have said thus far, something HAS to happen.

Every moment in time offers a turning point. There is nothing special about the Bak'tun.

Everything you said is exaggerated. Nothing HAS to happen.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
2012 won't happen.. it's just the end of a cycle and the beginning of another.. the mayans never predicted the end times, they just created a calendar system built on cycles.. our calendar is similar in many ways..

The Gregorian calendar ( the one we use ) is based on a cycle of 400 years, which comprises 146097 days. Since 146097 is evenly divisible by 7

the world doesn't end every 400 years, or every year... or 7 days.. which are all sub-cycles of the 400 year cycle... the misunderstanding people have about the mayan long count calendar is laughable.. and hollywood has fed into those fears and misunderstandings.. as have authors and others.

So what then, humanity will crumble? .. maybe or maybe not, that will depends on several factors.. whether or not the earth gives us enough time to correct some damages that have been done and whether or not greed can be overcame.. Even still, that doesn't exactly automatically mean the collapse in all of humanity..

Humans are very adaptable creatures.. We used tools to build things, and then tools to build better tools to build even better things.. The birth of technology.. cars, mass production.. those are an obvious evolution of our natural ways.. We must adapt to survive any situation, it's if we don't adapt that we face the collapse of humanity..

edit on 11/25/2012 by miniatus because: more information about our gregorian calendar

edit on 11/25/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
People that want destruction must be horribly horribly depressed, I don't get it.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
- If 2012 Doesn't Happen We're Doomed....

Now there's an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

SS

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Here's some more information for people who don't understand the long count calendar

1 Baktun = 20 katun cycles of the long count calendar ( mayan calendar ended 20 times )
1 Katun = 7,200 days

We're in the 13th baktun which ends on December 21st, so it's cycled 260 times already.. we're entering the 14th Baktun...

1 Baktun = 144,000 days ( 394.26 years )

So in short, the Mayan long count calendar has ended 260 times already.. and yet the world remains

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
2012 won't happen.. it's just the end of a cycle and the beginning of another.. the mayans never predicted the end times, they just created a calendar system built on cycles.. our calendar is similar in many ways..

The Gregorian calendar ( the one we use ) is based on a cycle of 400 years, which comprises 146097 days. Since 146097 is evenly divisible by 7

the world doesn't end every 400 years, or every year... or 7 days.. all sub-cycles... the misunderstanding people have about the mayan long count calendar is laughable.. and hollywood has fed into those fears and misunderstandings.. as have authors and others.

So what then, humanity will crumble? .. maybe or maybe not, that will depends on several factors.. whether or not the earth gives us enough time to correct some damages that have been done and whether or not greed can be overcame.. Even still, that doesn't exactly automatically mean the collapse in all of humanity..

Humans are very adaptable creatures.. We used tools to build things, and then tools to build better tools to build even better things.. The birth of technology.. cars, mass production.. those are an obvious evolution of our natural ways.. We must adapt to survive any situation, it's if we don't adapt that we face the collapse of humanity..

edit on 11/25/2012 by miniatus because: more information about our gregorian calendar

Humans have adapted too well to our current environment. There's no telling as to why they would stray away from their current comfort.

I do acknowledge the fact that it is just a calendar but you have to look at the bigger picture here. I don't think that it's all just a coincidence that we are experiencing all of these thresholds at this time when multiple ancient civilizations (Maya, Incas, Hopis, Tibetan Time Wheel, and not to mention some crop circles) point directly to this date.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I'm on board the 2012 cynic-wagon, doubting anything at all will be different once the day comes and goes. I feel ya though, on the point that something's gotta give. Personally, I subscribe to the theory that history repeats itself. Every dog has its day, kingdoms rise and kingdoms fall. Egypt, Greece, Rome all had expiration dates. The thing that makes me think this could be a bigger one is the fact that the world is now so interconnected and interdependent. One power falling these days causes a domino effect as a result. There's so few countries that are capable of providing all their own resources and manufacturing. What happens when the poop hits the fan this time around? In the past when the big dog went down, the rest of the world lay unaffected. But now? Who knows.

Sorry to ramble. All I know is that our current way of life isn't one that is sustainable and that mega-powers come and go.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

I don't think that it's all just a coincidence that we are experiencing all of these thresholds at this time when multiple ancient civilizations (Maya, Incas, Hopis, Tibetan Time Wheel, and not to mention some crop circles) point directly to this date.

You're allowed to think that.. but as my last post points out.. the mayan calendar has ended many times already.. so it's "pointed" to many previous dates in the past .. I am willing to bet these other civilizations also have cyclical calendars like ours .. when you have several cyclical calendars, there will always be some point in which they all align.. and they probably have at some point in the past as well..

To me this has no more meaning than when dates line up with month, day and year ..11/11/11 for example.. people always get hyped up when that happens.. you see threads on ATS for dates like that.. it's in our nature to freak out about those sorts of things..

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

The fact that humans are able to go to the store and buy readily available food in exchange for paper

There's an unlimited supply of food, you can regrow as much as you want...

Originally posted by kingster129 or the fact that humans can travel extremely long distances in cars just by filling them with gas has become very unnerving to me.

Cars don't have to be powered by gas, if they're powered by electricity for example there's an unlimited supply of it so there's nothing to worry about in the long term.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spike Spiegle

- If 2012 Doesn't Happen We're Doomed....

Now there's an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

SS

Maybe that's because too many people associate "2012" with doom. Ah well I guess such foolishness is part of the human condition.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
People wanting it all to end are cowards.

People waiting on aliens to save them are cowards.

People that are waiting on God's intervention are cowards.

People letting darkness take over light are cowards.

Living life, looking at it in face, never backing down,
stay righteous, hoping for a better world.
Working for a better world.

I rather be doomed than a coward.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I dont subscribe to the USA falling like the empires of Rome Greece or Egypt. Those were much different times. Other world powers would come in and conquer you when your empire fell. That doesnt happen in this day. We would just stop being the worlds number one super power, thats it. In this day of globalization it just may be a revolving door between 4 or 5 super powers taking turns at the top.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join