It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mblah's Sausage Herb Stuffing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
MMMM stuffing. Something I look forward to every year for Thanksgiving. I haven't had "normal" stuffing in years so this year I made an entire meal for myself. Yup I made an 11lb turkey and all the trimmings including an appetizer plate filled with my favorite munchies.

Everyone makes stuffing differently and love checking out new recipes as long as I know what it is BEFORE I put it in my mouth. Last year I bit into stuffing and it was oyster stuffing. It turned my stomach esp since i"m not an oyster fan. I had never head of such a thing in my life. The people's house I was at wasn't the traditional feast I'm use to so the stuffing wasn't a surprise. This year I wanted to have MY stuffing without the oysters. I don't think I'll ever forget that. I literally spit it out on my plate, it was a gag reaction lol

Mblah's Sausage Herb Stuffing

Ingredients
1lb of Jimmy Dean Sage Sausage
1 1/2 cups of chopped celery
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
5 cups of stuffing (use fresh bread crumbs or the bagged kind)
1 1/2 cup diced mushrooms
1 tbs chopped of each fresh sage, rosemary and thyme
5 tbs butter
1 cup chicken broth
S/P

Directions
1. Put stuffing in a large bowl and set aside.
2. Cook sausage in a large skillet, drain and set aside. SAVE the sausage grease you drain from the pan and put back into the pan!!
3. Melt the butter in the same pan with the sausage drippings. Sautee onion, mushroom and celery til onion is tender but not fully cooked.
4. Add herbs and chicken broth and stir til mixed.
5. Add the veggie mixture and sausage to the bowl of stuffing. Mix well. Stuff bird or cook in casserole dish covered with foil for about 35mins, til the top is golden brown. I usually take the foil off the last five mins if I dont put it in a turkey.

Whatever doesn't fit in the turkey I usually add to the roasting pan around the turkey and add a little chicken broth. It makes for a GREAT gravy when the the turkey is done. I usually pour all the drippings from the pan into a sauce pan and add about 1/4 cup of flour and whisk away til blended on medium heat.

I only have pics of it in the turkey on on the table with my feast
Yes I ate most of this by myself. Heck what do you expect a pregnant lady to do? Let it go to waste?

My mini feast for 1 and a half lol

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

ARRRRRRRRRRRRgggggggggggggg MMMMMMMMBLAH

I want some it looks soooooo good!

Hope you had a good feast.

SS
edit on 023030p://pm3039 by Spike Spiegle because: S&F

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Spike Spiegle

Thanks

Oh I did! I'm still having turkey on toasted rye with mayo and gravy....MMMMM

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

What a coincidence. I used sausages this year too. I took out the skin and chopped, then mixed with some chopped onions and apples. I see your recipe I now I know I forgot the mushrooms.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Yummy! We always have the orphan thanksgiving and all of my husbands coworkers and my friends come over. So we made a lot of food too, but the left overs are soooo yummy. My favorite is a sandwich with turkey, mayo, cranberry, stuffing, gravy on a white bread sandwich..slightly heated and all drippy and messy! Yum! ...glad you enjoyed your thanksgiving!

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman

What a coincidence. I used sausages this year too. I took out the skin and chopped, then mixed with some chopped onions and apples. I see your recipe I now I know I forgot the mushrooms.

MMMM apples. I didn't add apples and can't say that I ever have. I did have an apple/cheese platter

I will have to try apples next year. What kind do you use?

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Originally posted by Trueman

MMMM apples. I didn't add apples and can't say that I ever have. I did have an apple/cheese platter

I will have to try apples next year. What kind do you use?

I didn't choose an specific type, I used the green ones my wife had in the kitchen. You know what else I missed?.....white raisens.

Maybe want to know another old trick I used. About last hour before it's done, I collect most of the juices (so I can make it thicker in a pot, with a bit of corn starch, wine and butter), great gravy. Then I pour coca cola on the turkey and continue cooking, that gives a amazing brown-golden color.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Dayum mblah .. can i order that .. please

not sure i would be able to make that myself lol
but i make the best lasagna, shepperd pie and brocoli cream in town

you are one fine cook !
Official ATS chief indeed

and im your assistant ahah

you will have to make a compilation thread soon
so we can have all you pictures and recipes threads in one place !

thanks for sharing again
really enjoy seeing those pictures

next thread : apple pie ?

say yes lol
edit on 11/25/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Mblah, congrats on your pregnancy. Doesn't food taste especially good when you're eating for two? A word to the wise...in my seventh month, my mother made some wonderful sausage cheese balls and I ate two trays of them. 'Couldn't stop. To this day, I can't be around when she cooks them. I get nauseated even thinking of them.

On a happier note, your Thanksgiving dinner looks wonderful. And, I agree about the oyster stuffing. Yuk!

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
That sounds so much like the one I make (minus the shrooms).
I don't measure anything though, and I use a ton of sage and thyme.

I have to make lots extra for Xmas this year - on thanksgiving, my sis in law ( a fitness trainer
) ate so much of it
I didn't have any leftover. And she's a health freak, lol.
I do use 60 or 80% whole wheat bread though. It made me feel good that she ate so much.

I'm doing at least double for Xmas. 2 15 lb turkeys and as much stuffing as I can fit into the oven.

I'm feeding between 6 or 12 people. Not sure yet.

If only 6, I'm still cooking as much food.

***and congrats. You're going to be an awesome mom.

edit on 26-11-2012 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
Dayum mblah .. can i order that .. please

not sure i would be able to make that myself lol
but i make the best lasagna, shepperd pie and brocoli cream in town

OH you make the best lasagna? Lasagna cook off!!!

I love shepherds pie!! MMMM. Now make me some poutine!

you are one fine cook !
Official ATS chief indeed

and im your assistant ahah

Hehe thanks. I just like to cook and try whatever works!

you will have to make a compilation thread soon
so we can have all you pictures and recipes threads in one place !

Good idea! I am going to be working on a cookbook after the first of the year

thanks for sharing again
really enjoy seeing those pictures

you're welcome

next thread : apple pie ?

say yes lol
edit on 11/25/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

MMMMM apple pie. Maybe towards Christmas. I don't a lot of pies but Apple Pie is a favorite...if i don't eat all the apples before the pie gets made

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by graceunderpressure
Mblah, congrats on your pregnancy.

Thank you

Doesn't food taste especially good when you're eating for two? A word to the wise...in my seventh month, my mother made some wonderful sausage cheese balls and I ate two trays of them. 'Couldn't stop. To this day, I can't be around when she cooks them. I get nauseated even thinking of them.

Yes food does! It's funny though now I clean my plate if I order out where before I'd have left overs. No left overs anymore lol. On my bday I ordered Italian from my favorite Italian place here. I got Chicken Marsala with a side of Spaghetti Marinara and meat balls. I ate the entire thing. I couldn't believe it but it was SOOO good!

OMG sausage balls are a favorite of mine! I always have some in the freezer and fridge! They are so quick and easy to make and very tasty. My mom has been making these since i was a kid. She is always asked to bring these for family get togethers or people at her work ask her to make them. I made them for my friends baby shower. Her husband who doesn't like sausage devoured these!!

I wanted to make some on Thanksgiving but i had some already frozen in the freezer. The next time I make them I'm gonna wrap them in bacon

Ok now i"m gonna go pop a few in the toaster oven lol

On a happier note, your Thanksgiving dinner looks wonderful. And, I agree about the oyster stuffing. Yuk!

It was tasty!

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
That sounds so much like the one I make (minus the shrooms).
I don't measure anything though, and I use a ton of sage and thyme.

I don't usually measure either but I did for the recipe so I could share it on here. I usually just chop and add lol Whenever I post a recipe I have to make it again so I can measure to give people the right amounts other wise it would consist of a handful of this, two shakes of that and so on lol.

I love sage and thyme!! You can never have enough imo.

I have to make lots extra for Xmas this year - on thanksgiving, my sis in law ( a fitness trainer
) ate so much of it
I didn't have any leftover. And she's a health freak, lol.
I do use 60 or 80% whole wheat bread though. It made me feel good that she ate so much.

That means it was yummy!! I haven't tried whole wheat bread before. I bet that is good. I might have to try that sometime. I like stuffing any time of the year so making a small batch to try it out wouldn't be so bad. I've also wanted to try it with rye bread.

I'm doing at least double for Xmas. 2 15 lb turkeys and as much stuffing as I can fit into the oven.

I'm feeding between 6 or 12 people. Not sure yet.

If only 6, I'm still cooking as much food.

WOW that's a lot of turkey! I don't know what i'm doing for Christmas. I might make a turkey for myself again or Roast Beef. I LOVE roast beef but it is expensive so I will just have to wait and see. My body is telling me roast beef though and well we don't want to upset the pregnant ladies belly
If I can find a small roast I'll make it with all the trimmings! I would love to have people over, maybe I'll have a wayward Christmas for all those who have no family to go home to. I have done this in the past and it was a lot of fun!

***and congrats. You're going to be an awesome mom.

edit on 26-11-2012 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

Thank you

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
OMG sausage balls are a favorite of mine! I always have some in the freezer and fridge! They are so quick and easy to make and very tasty. My mom has been making these since i was a kid. She is always asked to bring these for family get togethers or people at her work ask her to make them. I made them for my friends baby shower. Her husband who doesn't like sausage devoured these!!

Ok now i"m gonna go pop a few in the toaster oven lol

Yes! That's almost exactly the same recipe that my mom always made. They were always wildly popular and it was a good "go to" recipe for parties and holidays. Unfortunately, the overindulging experience ruined it for me forever. It was my own fault!
In the last trimester, it feels like your stomach is pushed up into your ribcage and your stomach feels really full after even a small meal. That's why snarfing down a dozen balls was such a stupid thing for me to do. But they sure were good at the time.

That reminds me of similar recipe that we like at the holidays. Have you tried breakfast casserole? It's actually better when it's assembled the night before and just popped in the oven on Christmas morning. That way, you can enjoy the festivities with your little one, without having to be in the kitchen. Just think, this time next year, you'll be a mom!

Breakfast Casserole

6 eggs
One pint of half and half (low fat if you prefer)
One pound of sausage (low fat if you prefer)
6 slices of plain white loaf bread
1/8 - 1/4 stick butter
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese

Cook sausage & crumble
Beat eggs & half and half together
Spray a baking pan with non-stick spray
Butter bread & line bottom of pan with bread
Add sausage
Pour egg mixture over sausage
Add cheese
Cover with foil
Cook @ 350* for 50 minutes with foil, then uncovered for 10-15 additional minutes

I could see doing a lot of variations on the basic recipe, including adding the basil and parsley as you did in your sausage balls, or trying different types of cheese or bread. Yum!

new topics

top topics

join