It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The day has arrived" syndrome

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by facehole

In the case of Biblical prophecy, it's about being troubled by the enemies of Biblical religion and wanting the trouble to go away. Hence Daniel and Revelation.
(But that doesn't explain why people want to apply them at the present time, when persecution isn't happening).

As for the rest of the world, there could be a combination of factors.
A generation back, there was a visible enemy in the form of the Communist power- perhaps the disappearance of that threat has shifted the focus, so that the current state of the world at large becomes the enemy.
In American culture, the growth of distrust of government since the Kennedy-Nixon era.
I can't help thinking that some of the speculation among younger members is being fuelled by a sense of boredom and a wish that something exciting would happen.
And of course in the internet age there is the "feedback" effect, by which speculation feeds on other speculation and becomes more intense.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I'm expecting the expectations to be something like ' The date has been recalculated to dec31'. Believers will continue to wait.

Or they are going to say this was never going to be a cataclysmic event. It was about changes and these changes are invisible to most ' but I can feel it, is anyone else feeling it too?' .

I suspect the week leading up to it there will be a lot of can you feel it happening threads. Then as you say they will lay low and not comment.

Aside from that, people will be too busy with the holiday season to have time to care.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by violet
I suspect the week leading up to it there will be a lot of can you feel it happening threads.

Yes, perhaps the recent "Are you experiencing changes?" was the first of the flood.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

In only 4 years as a member I noticed the high-tide/low-tide topic patterns.

We've had the NASA video period, the Nibiru hysteria, FEMA panic, Mexican invasion storm, US elections drama, Fukushima, BP Oil crisis, Katrina and the Rapture.

We are a sum greater than our parts and excel at storms in teacups.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Yes, indeed.
But is this just ATS, or is it a general internet phenomenon?

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

I think there is no point putting a specific date on cosmic events. these things obviously take some time. let gods do their work, and it is not in human terms that they do it

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Gidonb4IN

I agree entirely.
It's certainly true about the Biblical God, that we were told not to expect to be told, and I've put out a different thread (already mentioned elsewhere) on "the futility of date-setting".

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Yes, indeed.
But is this just ATS, or is it a general internet phenomenon?

Both and a general human-nature-writ-large phenomenon. You're a well-read fellow and no doubt recognise these patterns.

Focusing specifically on the prophesies that never bore fruit, we both know they've been a feature of society since recored history began.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI

Originally posted by violet
I suspect the week leading up to it there will be a lot of can you feel it happening threads.

Yes, perhaps the recent "Are you experiencing changes?" was the first of the flood.

Is that the one who's coffee machine needs decalcifying?
Kidding of course

Basically anything strange, that wasn't really strange after all will be deemed as a 'sign '

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Personally -- I'm hoping all the Mayan believers disappear, ascend or whatever, along with the 11:11 believers, and Christian "rapture" folk.

I hope they all get the ascension they deserve, and never come back. Their kind has made a mess of our rational universe, and their superstitious natures muddy the waters so much, the rest of us can hardly get anything done.

To Valhalla, or Heaven, or 4D ascension with the lot, and good luck. The world would be better off without them.*

*I have nothing against sincere believers of any faith who aren't constantly spreading FUD and nonsense. You guys rock and are welcome to stay.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

Yes, that's the one.
I see you know it well.
I remember seeing a list of possible symptoms of "ascension"- they included sleeplessness, and they might have included over-sleeping as well.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I understood the intent of your other topic, TC. My post in it, to which you responded, was directed at others on the site who tend to view skepticism as Hollywood often portrays it. As I said in the post, "the mean old, colsed minded scientist who dashes the dreams of the idealistic believer protagonist." In my younger years I was a staunch believer in many things, and I always carried around that sort of, "I'm a believer, I'm not one of those darn skeptics who refuse to believe in anything," attitude. So I know some harbor such feelings, and I have seen them displayed.

My only real personal concern re: 2012 at the moment, given several recent topics on ATS about mental illness, depression, etc. is whether the failure of any of these things to happen (if it turns out that way) will provoke deep disillusionment in others. As someone who lost or had disrupted many of his personal beliefs as a younger man, I know how devastating that kind of disillusionment can be, and how long it can take to recover from and build a new, viable worldview from their ashes. Many might scoff and say, "It was a silly belief to begin with, just get over it," while others will even go so far as to say, "they deserve their disillusionment." But I can assure you that there are at least some people in the world so invested both emotionally and even materially in this supposed phenomenon that its failure to produce any tangible change in their lives or the state of the world would result in deep, painful disillusionment.

I think, as members of a conspiracy theory and other fringe topic themed website, we should give some extra thought this winter - especially since this time of year can tend to provoke depression regardless - to being that much kinder and more empathetic to our fellow users around the 21st of next month. I can envision some bad scenarios playing out if people that disillusioned get dog piled on by gleeful naysayers and "told you so"-ers. There are civil ways to acknowledge that a prediction has failed to come to fruition, analytical, fact-archiving ways, and then there are cruel ways. I have seen a lot of both in my time here on ATS over the years.

Peace.
edit on 11/25/2012 by AceWombat04 because: Typo

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

I don't think I had any problem with your post in the other thread.
There was one other poster who really, really did miss the point (repeatedly), and that was the one I got frustrated with.

I take on board the message about not rubbing salt into the wound after the event (or non-event, if that;s what happens).

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I have been following the 2012 saga for years. In fact since it first came up on ATS i was hooked. I went through the stage of reading everything followed by the lengthy stage of "What If" followed lastly by the stage of "Whatever"

Seriously this one subject has been a major part of my online reading for some years. Usually human beings conform to confirmation bias ie what they read and study is to confirm what they already believe. People dont like to educate themselves on something that goes against their grain but usually study to confirm what they believe. I read a great book recently that actually said "People seek confirmation not education" That is a pretty seriously concept with a subject like 2012 End of the World etc. People have bred this story over the years into the most amazing and crazy BS story which comes to fruition in literally weeks. Ive been through the stage of worrying about my children, what will happen, Is it a change to humanity, Is it the end of the world etc etc etc and im now at the stage of WHATEVER!!!

Its going to be the biggest let down for some people.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Oh, no you didn't seem to have a problem with it. I was just letting you know some of us understood the intent behind it. I could sense (and in the past have shared lol) your frustration in being misunderstood in the intent of the topic.

Peace.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
It's a bit like face book really. Start out with one like then all of a sudden there is a million likes.

So I would be more inclined to place it in pop culture.

I do think there is alot of manipulation and a lot of profit being made from it, but again , that is pop culture.

I also know that like 'Gangum Style', it will fade.

Then there will be a hole left , a deep void which will need to be filled by something else.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by thesaint

Yes, it will be a let-down.
Personally, I'm convinced that the "confirmation bias" factor has been exacerbated by the existence of Youtube.
The reason is that watching Youtube videos is such a time-intensive way of absorbing information, compared with reading, that people simply have much less time to look at alternative, perhaps refuting, viewpoints.

I must confess that "2012" brought me to ATS, indirectly. My sister-in-law casually remarked to me that people were expecting the world to end in 2012. I had not heard about this before, so I googled the concept (not because I believed it, but because I wanted to know more about what people were believing), and that found me ATS.
Mind you, it was the "earthquake swarm" in Yellowstone that kept me coming back for the first few months.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I'd have to agree wit you Saint, as far as depression goes, there are alot more people in the world that are taking antidepressants, than aren't. I think it is because of cell phone towers, and wi-fi. As our brain uses electrical Impulses to send messages to our body. Anyway..

I have been following the 2012 subject for a while now, Do I hope something happens.....yes, just as long as it is not detrimental to mankind. If nothing happens....damn, I'm sure another day will come up. Of course, when I signed up, the Nibiru subject was hot..... got let down on that one.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by magma
So I would be more inclined to place it in pop culture....I do think there is alot of manipulation and a lot of profit being made from it, but again , that is pop culture.

I think this view is more realistic than the conspiracy view which would blame the manipulators for starting it off in the first place,
We're discovering what happens when the internet and mob psychology get mixed together.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by thepolish1

Yes, Nibiru does seem to have been the first casualty of the 2012 theories; the hypothetical approach demanded such a long lead-in time that the failure was becoming obvious at an earlier stage.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join