It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Bell Ringer" caught shoplifting at Walgreens.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Hi.

I’m not easily surprised but this surprised me! It's not a long story but they don't all have to be long.

My mom is semi-retired and during the holiday season she works as a bell ringer for the Salvation Army. Last night she called me when she got home from work and told me one of the bell ringers had been caught shoplifting.

It was the girl's first day ringing the bell. She was at a Walgreens location and at break time she went into the store and tried to shoplift. Not sure what she tried to steal but it doesn't really matter.

I was like WTH is wrong with people!?!
Is it just me or is what she did wrong on so many levels?

Of course the store is pressing charges I would love to see this girl go before a judge.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

It is tough times for everyone.

But instead of coming together, we stay divided and fight with other over table scraps.

This is a tragic story; however it has all of the ingredients required to divide the populous and keep us off target.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by zroth

Are you condoning what she did?

Really? I think if you're working for the Salvation Army you probably shouldn't steal.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

No.

Yes, you are correct. In fact, no one should steal. Stealing is a topic unto itself however. All corporations are built on stolen intellectual property at one time or another.

My point is that these stories serve to keep people divided.

The story is the fence and everyone will pick a side.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Well, at least she didn't steal the money in the red pot, to pay for what ever it was she tried to steal. I guess she has some morals after all.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

The Salvation Army hires bell ringers through a temp agency. Most of them are not in the church at all. That's the primary reason why the kettles have locks on them.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Most likely food

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by kontage

I didn't know the kettles had locks. There goes my theory that she exercised discretion.

edit on 25-11-2012 by windword because: spelling

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by kontage

The Salvation Army hires bell ringers through a temp agency. Most of them are not in the church at all. That's the primary reason why the kettles have locks on them.

And there is a chance that if you're relying on a temp agency for work (as a bell-ringer, no less) you are broke, and swiping a little food on your break would look somewhat more attractive.

Do I think it's right? No, not entirely. But neither do I think corporate greed is right, and that is one of the reasons there are a lot of poor and hungry people out there. Who knows... maybe she was trying to steal a magazine or something. I could be wrong.

But let me ask you something, OP: Have you ever lived on the streets, or in a shoddy roach infested boarding house? Have you ever had NO money (I mean zero, literally) and been so hungry that stealing food looked like an attractive and viable option? I have. And it is a terrible feeling. Cold and empty. Sad and bitter. Not a good place to be.

Maybe consider what others may be going through before you're quick to jump on the judgment bandwagon.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
That particular charity organization would NOT help me when I was longterm homeless. While I was, I never encountered another poor person who got help from them. I told them I was suicidal, and I asked this (old harpy) on the other end of the phone line "Well, what do you do, then?" And she curtly replied, "We counsel."

Do they actually help anyone? Anyone know, first hand? Just curious.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Saucerwench

In my experience, the Salvation Army, where I used to live, provided a nutritious hot meal, twice a day, hot showers, haircuts clean clothing and had set up a kind of tent city with a limited number of cots on a per night, first come first serve basis.

They helped people with job interview skills and offered rides for people to get to work, if they had work.

I don't know much about their programs here in San Diego though. I know they got a huge donation from McDonalds tycoons Ray and Joan Kroc.

The Salvation Army Kroc Center at a Glance
The Salvation Army Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center is a 12.4-acre family support, education, recreation, and cultural arts center, made possible by a generous gift by the late philanthropist Mrs. Joan Kroc. The facility is open to members and the general public and serves residents of East San Diego, La Mesa and Lemon Grove with a variety of quality programs for individuals of all ages.

MISSION

Motivated by God’s love, Ray & Joan Kroc Corps Community Center’s mission is to meet the needs of the community through: Boundless Opportunity, Experiential Knowledge, Holistic Growth, Progressive Challenge, Relevant Skill and Meaningful Success.

kroccenter.org...

Looks like a cool place.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Then they likely operate differently from city to city. My experience in the previous post, took place in Chicago in around the year 2000. I wish I encountered the one you tell of. I got help later, which was appropriate and permanent help finally, via the VA, as I am a military (honerable) vet, however.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Saucerwench

Glad to hear you got some help. I've been through some rough times myself. What doesn't kill ya....and all that!

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavalryscout

I’m not easily surprised but this surprised me!

I certainly don't see why; indeed, I'm somewhat taken aback that you're 'surprised.' And not easily so, huh?

As some of the other responses have pointed out, not all 'bellringers' are volunteers, church-affiliated or otherwise. That's not even getting into the whole kettle of worms that comes from implying the church-affiliated are so far beyond shoplifting.

My primary purpose in responding to this (appropriate adjective) thread is to comment on the organization referenced. The Salvation Army, when founded in the late 19th century and on into the early 20th century, was an absolutely wonderful program imbued with idealism and a true desire to help those in need. Unfortunately, that began changing and the organization, like many, has become one focused on greed and acquisition. (That is not to say some of those original ideals do not still exist in some members and contributors today; however, those directly associated with the organization are few now and have little actual impact on the organization as a whole.)

I really began seeing the Salvation Army in this light quite a few years ago when it came to my attention that they had closed several homeless shelters in lieu of opening halfway houses to accomodate federal inmates being released back into society. I have no problem with the halfway houses and the the benefits they offer to both returning inmates and society; however, I do have a problem with tossing the homeless aside in order to obtain lucrative federal monies and grants in order to benefit the financial standing of the organization and it executives and administrators. Halfway houses should be administered by either the feds or privately contracted business. Apparently, outside donations to be used for the homeless did not offer enough pork for the organization and they both easily and readily tossed out the earlier ideals.

Surprised that a 'bellringer' shoplifted - and without knowing the full circumstances? Can that even compare to the lack of moral integrity expressed by the organization she's temporarily working or volunteering for?

The above, of course, remains my opinion, but I do believe you perhaps should have looked a little further into your thread and the reasons behind before you posted.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
If that's true, about them closing homeless shelters to open halfway houses so they could get some federal cash, that does seem a bit....shady.

It's disgusting when people masquerade their greed behind the veil of charity.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
A Salvation Army bell-ringer stealing reminds me of all the church going people who I know and used to know throughout my life. The church-goers were ALWAYS the ones in life doing WRONG and "sinning", yet they are "good" and "righteous" "innocent" church people!!

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
For the love of god, have you heard yourself?, for someone who has supposed to have good christian values, you certainly arn't very forgiving or even understanding for that matter, instead you have come across as judge, jury and executioner in one post. There's no wonder the state of the church here is such a mess.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
"Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his moccasins." ~ Native proverb

Not too many people seem to live by this credo anymore. Most are more than too happy to sit on their high horse and point a finger passing judgement on everyone else around them.

Nobody knows what this girl's story is.

And by the way: Not passing judgement on someone does not equate to condoning their actions. Learn the difference.

This thread is overloaded with logical fallacies from posters.

top topics

join