It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Non-Toxic, Bio-degradable, Edible Rocket Fuel – Part 1, The Demo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Hello again ATS! I’m back, and I’m still pursuing my impossible dream! For those of you who don’t know, I’ve been working on building my own rocket to carry me into orbit. Crazy, I know! Impossible too! I’ve looked at the reality of my dream, and it is no way realistic. But that’s not stopping me. I feel that if I just work towards it, eventually I’ll get there.

So as of this moment, here’s where I’m at…

The last time I posted a thread about my project, I described my basic idea and hinted at where I was in my development. That was about two weeks ago. I have been playing around with wax based fuels for the past 2 years now, and I have come up with several formula’s using paraffin wax and a couple using beeswax. Today I am demonstrating one of my beeswax formulas. I’m sitting on the recipe for now, but I will share it soon enough. I want to whip up another video for that. So stay tuned! Anyway, here’s my first video. It’s pretty boring for the first 4 minutes or so. It’s just me showing off my fuel, and then I run it in one of my test engines. It’s pretty impressive considering that the fuel I’m using is edible….

www.youtube.com...

Pretty neat, eh! Now of course, burning wax in a compressed air jet is a far cry from launching myself into orbit. But the journey needs to start somewhere, right?

So here’s a little info that I didn’t cover in the video. (A testament to why we should not make unscripted videos!) I say that the fuel is non-flammable. This is only partly true. The fuel itself doesn’t burn, but when it vaporizes, the vapour does. So my propane torch can’t heat the fuel enough to vaporize it. I also mention that the fuel ignites at around 500 deg/f. Specifically, ignition occurs at 534 deg/f. It is edible, and I did in fact eat it. I don’t advise eating it, much like how your mom advised against swallowing bubblegum. I don’t know how well beeswax digests, not to mention there is absolutely no nutritive value to the fuel. Actually, it is very high in Omega3 fatty acid. The highest Omega3 content of all rocket fuel!!

Now I’m hoping that when I release the recipe that other backyard inventors will start making it and experimenting with it. There are a few issues with using this stuff for fuel, this biggest one being fuel delivery. The plan is to use the heat from combustion to vaporize the fuel and using the pressure it builds to inject the vapour into the C.C. This is how the Gluey Pressure Jet delivers its fuel and it works very well.

tipjet.com...

As I’ve said many times now, I know this is an impossible venture. There is no way I could possibly do this on my own, even if I had an unlimited budget. I’m not at all close to an unlimited budget! I have 10grand I can throw at this. Pretty sure that won’t do it. I figure with my money, I’ll be able to manufacture my fuel and build a working scale model of my engine. Then I’ll be broke! This does not worry me though. On my first post about this, some of you offered to help me out financially! I didn’t even ask, and yet you offered. This inspired me unlike I’ve ever been inspired. Which got me to thinking… Now I’m trying to decide if I want to share my epiphany right now, or wait until I get the modified plan in motion….

Yeah, I can’t wait! So here is what you, the members of ATS have inspired in me…

I’m looking to start a not-for-profit company, dedicated to the research and development of alternative technologies for the Colonization of outer space. I came to the conclusion that the only way we as a species are ever going to get off of this rock is if we, the members of our species, all put our heads together and do it. I don’t think we should rely on the government to pioneer space exploration. We all know what will happen. New resources will start coming in, and the governments will go to war over them. If we had a civilian space agency that could stand in-between the government and the unlimited resource in our solar system we might be able to stop any potential conflict before it has a chance to start. Not to mention, once resources start coming in from other celestial bodies, our economy will have to change. By starting our own Volunteer space program, we could start setting up the economy to accept the up and coming change. I’ve got a few million ideas on how this can work. I will share them all in time.

So I’ve gone from the impossible dream of launching my self into space to the impossible dream of getting all of us into space! I’m still at the beginning of my idea, and have just submitted the papers to see if I can register the business. I should know by Wednesday.

What do you think? Would you want to be a part of a civilian space program? I’m working on the outline; I’ll share it once I’m done.

I present this in hopes of getting feedback. Any feedback. I feel very compelled to do this. I’ve been thinking about it for 20 years, and working on it for 15. I think now is the best time in our evolution for such a proposal.

Thanks for your time!

Robb

edit on 25-11-2012 by PollyPeptide because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Your link doesn't work. All of the rest of it sounds interesting though, good luck on your ventures. Keep chasing the dream of making your own rocket and using it for possible space travel. And you seem to (I don't know how) have answered one of mans' burning questions - "I wonder what rocket fuel tastes like?"

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Indeed, the link was broken. Its seems to be fixed now.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Just giving her the ol' bump...

top topics

join