The meaning of Christmas (this is not a religious thread)

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
OK I just had a conversation with my mother-in-law she lives in South Africa and has been invited to spend Xmas in Canada with my bro in law.
My mum in law known as of now mil is worried she will be embarrassed as the cost of living in Canada is so relatively high.
I was unemployed for a while and just about managed to scrape together enough for a few cards. I was embarrassed. I seriously thought about avoiding my family for Xmas period, my dad called and asked if I could afford the fuel to be with them, I couldn't, he just said don't worry son the important thing is you're with us. The best present I ever got was £20 note saying this is for the effort son we love you Mum and Dad.
So is the meaning of Xmas presents or love ?
For me love wins out everytime.
So to those of us fortunate enough to buy gifts enjoy the giving. For those of us that recieve be grateful. For those of us that can't 'afford' Xmas enjoy the love. For those of us that will be lonely and cold we can't cover every lonely soul in the universe but rest assured we're doing our damndest to reach you.
edit on 25-11-2012 by cody599 because: Ommited a line

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

I Love the sentiment of your thread, and couldn't agree with you more, The Holidays mean different things to different people...but one would hope the "Heart" of any Holiday is about Love and goodwill toward others.

My family does a fun thing every year called the "white elephant" gift exchange, everyone brings something they want to re-gift......and it's soo much fun and we have alot of good laughs.....that breadmaker up in your cubbard you will never use, may just be perfect for Aunt Susie, etc......then we play a game were you can keep your present or trade with another...LOL....someone REALLY wants that singing toliet paper roll...amazing but true !

The last few years I have been making alot of my gifts to give to others, seashell ornaments were a big hit with family and friends, and all they took to make was a dremel drill, I borrowed, and under $20 dollars of craft supplies and some imagination.

Baked goods, jellies, salsa, etc. also make great gifts. Painting inexpensive terra-cotta pots, kids Love this one too....The ideas are endless...and so much more special then some junk you buy at Wal-Mart.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

Loving it
It means so much more
Repect

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Love is indeed the true meaning of Christmas.

I like to make handcrafted gifts too. One doubled as an ornament/air freshner. Just get styrafoam balls, moss, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, and ribbon from a dollar store. Glue the moss, cinnamon sticks and cloves all around. Tie a pretty ribbon at the top and there ya go. You can add lavendar and rose petals. You can get a red feathered cardinal to sit on top. Just tie a loop to hang.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

I'd say welcome to family, but seems there is no need. You'll know what I mean. No offence to Mountainlaurel I can't reply to 2 posts at the same time.
Love the avatars by the way

edit on 25-11-2012 by cody599 because: bed spooling lol

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Christmas is about presence not presents.

Sadly society here as made it about presents and what you will get people. I mean just look at Black Friday!! I never buy Christmas gifts. The only people who seem to get pissy over it are my family members who expect me to buy them lavish gifts when I make less than $500 a month. A card is never enough so I don't even bother with those anymore. I'd rather stay home than deal with "what did you get me" drama. I never expect gifts and many people think that because they got you something you should automatically get them something. I never ask for presents and I never expect anyone to get me anything.

When I am asked what I want for Christmas I say nothing and people look at me like I'm kidding. I really don't want anything, well to have my fiancee home from overseas would be nice but he can't so that won't happen. I spent Christmas last year in Denny's on the internet talking with him. I had fajita's and pie. It was nice because I was able to spend it with him even if it was via the internet. I didn't care that I was in Denny's. The people were actually really nice and the food was pretty darn good I might add. I left the server a $50 tip for working on a holiday.

The holidays have lost their true meaning due to corporate consumerism and greed. I'd rather not participate in that.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Christmas is about presence not presents.
Brilliant sheer brilliance I applaude you and thank you

May this be the message of Chistmas for all.
Resect
edit on 25-11-2012 by cody599 because: Just thought the last line was important.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Awww Night Star your quite special....your ideas are wonderful.....and I happen to know Cody she designed her avatar herself......it's a "fairy sister" thing.....

I hope this thread takes off...because it is a quite "deep" subject really.....you know it's funny....I think the best gift I ever gave my Mom and Stepdad, was when I visited and re-did all the pots on thier patio, my background is in Horticulture Design...they picked up most of the expenses of the trip, but there is no doubt in my mind that some special Love was shared...we all shared whatever "gifts" we had to offer.......

No "gift" is more precious then sharing time with Loved one's, and to ever feel you won't be welcome without "gifts" is an assult on the True Meaning of Christmas.......LOL...I know....sooo corny...been watching too many episodes of "Little House on the Prarie".....

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
opps
edit on 25-11-2012 by MountainLaurel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Ummmmmmmmm I'm a guy
Maybe you know my soul ?
Think I may have misread that. (feels a tad thick) got your point now

edit on 25-11-2012 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Nah nothing corny,
I really hope this thread takes off as well. Not for me.
Nope can't better it presence not presents

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by cody599

Ummmmmmmmm I'm a guy
Maybe you know my soul ?
Think I may have misread that. (feels a tad thick) got your point now

LOL....definately felt your "guy" energy...and all the more reason I "feel" your thread actually......soo much "insane" pressure is put on males during this time of year...and being "crafty" is generally not a "guy thing".....but make no mistake....we Love you guys and we need you, and a big part of everything we may do is to see our special men smile....keep the fire going, carve the meat, lol, take out the trash, and give us a special smile, maybe even a kiss and it's all GOOD....

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
opps again...older puter...

edit on 25-11-2012 by MountainLaurel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Can I just finish this carving ?
It's not important now but in 20,000 years they'll be amazed

new topics

join