It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have started to take prepping more seriously

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by braunbear

You are wrong here the Mayan camera is correct but it's not bad just the return of the golden race my friend. The return of the pa-tal

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Starchildren

Ceramic Drip Water Filter Kit
Water filtration on a budget.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starchildren
We are going to have to do this on a budget, as one of us is only working right now.

It may seem daunting in the beginning, huh? I was lucky in that I come from a country family where if you did not 'put food by' (store for later use), then chances were you may not make it through the winter. So when I started I had a fair amount of knowledge on things like canning, dehydrating and such.

In my years of doing this I have found that, like Asktheanimals suggested, a membership to Costco, BJs or Sams Club has come in very handy simply because there are things I have in my food storage that I can purchase there in bulk for a better price than the grocery, like rice, beans and spices. Also, take advantage of your local 10 for 10 sales on things that you and your family like to eat. Soups, canned beans, veggies and fruit come to mind.

Also, I'm going to give you some websites that I personally have found in the past to come in handy as a reference guide or just a general knowledge kind of thing. Hope you find them helpful!

Food Storage Made Easy This website is run by 2 ladies from the LDS Church (Latter Day Saints). Don't be put off, yes, this site is very heavily advertised on by companies who specialize in freeze dried, dehydrated and storage 'systems', but I used it as a reference guide and ignored the ads. On this site they have an option to receive checklists. You receive these approximately every 2 weeks and they will give you tips on what to purchase and put in your long term food storage. At the end of the year, should you follow their guide, you should have enough food in your storage to last a year. They also have some good general ideas for other aspects of 'prepping' but, as every one should, if you read something you think is a good idea research it further to make sure its for you. Just because it sounds good at the beginning does not mean it is practical or even safe. Research, research, research.

LDS Food Storage Calculator This is just a general reference calculator to determine what is enough of a food group per person for a years worth of food storage. I keep this handy just to make sure I'm on the right track for what I have in storage.

LDS Food Storage Info This is the LDS site with some general knowledge information.

If you want to search for more info try googling "LDS Food Storage", there is plenty more info out there, I just wanted to give you a 'kick start' for some research that I have done in the past.

And no, I am not a member of the LDS church. The LDS church does, however, seem to have a fair amount of good tips and ideas for putting up long term storage food to take care of your family should anything happen where food stuffs are not immediately available.

One last thing, as another poster said, do not let this consume you.. it can if you let it. This is something that is important but don't let it take over. While I feel the need to prepare in a number of different ways, just keep in mind that while preparing for what you may think is coming in the future, there is a life worth living in the present.

If I can be of any assistance, do not hesitate to u2u me to discuss anything you may have a question on. I'm more than willing to help in any way I can. If it's something I don't know I'm more than willing to research it with you in order to learn something new myself!

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DPrice
What exactly are people prepping for? the last time I saw this level of hysteria was before the millennium bug that failed to materialise.

They are prepping for anything, like Hurricane Sandy that was unexpected really. The weather is indeed changing and we can expect huge storms on the West coast in the future also.

I recommend oil or kerosene lamps a good jug of fuel for them and some lamp wicks. Can't rely to much on batteries IMO.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Well that's what your house is going to look like unless you have guns and learn how to use them...

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
That video made me sick. It is more disgusting than videos of sick and dying children. Because those starving children have no power over their situation.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Study colloidal silver and learn how to make it

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a bottle of colloidal silver would not go astray for purifying water and dabbing on cuts etc. it will kill bacteria and viruses and fungi i believe. or make your own with a battery and 2 silver electrodes in the water. i dont know the true voltage but we used 27v dc. it was effective.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by MyMindIsMyOwn

Can't use that LDS calculator. It doesn't have coffee listed. It also doesn't include canned meats, eggs of any sort, or chocolate bars. I'm not going to suffer for a year if I don't have to.

I suppose it is a LDS site, they want us to suffer for our sins. They probably store canned hams and high quality canned beef and chicken. Not to mention everything to make bakery to go with their coffee. When you have had enough suffering they will sign you up and give you real food.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by orangutang

To make Colloidal Silver, it requires 45v or five 9v batteries connected positive to negative in distilled water for approx 2 hours. Colloidal Silver can be used as a antibacterial, antifungal, antitumoral, antiviral and antibiotic. It can be used to purify water, kill mold, remove skin tags, kill parisites, treat MERSA, kill athletes foot, yeast infections, UTI, treat AIDS and hepatitis.. etc... I have personally used it to treat a great number of things, including an ulcer and inner ear infection. My 16 yr old neice has rid herself of both acne and tenia versicolor that has grown on her body for over 3 years. My MD told me that he cannot comment on my use of it, however he did say that he has many patients that swear by it and to do whatever works for me and my family. I make 16 oz every 2 weeks, giving away half of it. I consume 1-3 tsp daily, my children consume 1 tsp daily. There has yet to be anyone that has came to me for silverbiotics tell me that it didn't work for whatever ailment they used it for. It has been a 100% satisfaction guarantee among everybody I know for everything they used it for.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by strbrite78

I am sorry, that is not how to do it. You are actually making particles of silver in water.

There is a lot of info on the web, 27V DC about 20-30ma of current. 5-10 minutes per glass is fine. Silver must be pure. Do Not use Sterling Silver.

P

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

When using 45v in 16oz of water, I will assure you that after only 5-10 minutes, it will only test at .01ppm on a good day, most generally it is still at 0.00. If Im really lucky, I can test .27ppm after 2 hrs. Of course you can only use 99.999% silver, sterling silver is only approx 74% silver.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
if something of any significant duration happens, i can guarantee that people who 'prepped' will have only ended up making caches for those at the top of the natural selection game. which, ironically, will not be 99.99% of the 'preppers'.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Originally posted by DPrice
What exactly are people prepping for? the last time I saw this level of hysteria was before the millennium bug that failed to materialise.

They are prepping for anything, like Hurricane Sandy that was unexpected really. The weather is indeed changing and we can expect huge storms on the West coast in the future also.

I recommend oil or kerosene lamps a good jug of fuel for them and some lamp wicks. Can't rely to much on batteries IMO.

Liquide fuel is heavy and dangerous. Go to the sporting goods store. You can get a very small LED lantern that literally fits in your hand that has 100+ lumens and will run for 24+ hours before a battery change. $35.
www.amazon.com...=sr_1_40?ie=UTF8&qid=1353992863&sr=8-40&keywords=led+lantern

Use rechargable batteries with a small solar panel charging system and you're set.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

Can't use that LDS calculator. It doesn't have coffee listed. It also doesn't include canned meats, eggs of any sort, or chocolate bars. I'm not going to suffer for a year if I don't have to.

I suppose it is a LDS site, they want us to suffer for our sins. They probably store canned hams and high quality canned beef and chicken. Not to mention everything to make bakery to go with their coffee. When you have had enough suffering they will sign you up and give you real food.

LOL!!! Well, they are not after all perfect.
Coffee.. yes yes.. my precious.... (said in Gollum's voice from Lord of the Rings) Indeed, the calculator is really just the basics for sure. I do only use it to make sure I've got enough for everyone on my list. But.. that does not mean I do not supplement the list with other things like yes indeed, coffee, in large quantities along with a hand crank coffee grinder.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   

I figure the most important thing to stock is coffee. I doubt if FEMA supplies that with their emergency rations.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by strbrite78

Doesn't taking colloidal silver every day raise havoc with the gut Flora? I suppose it is no worse than adding fluoride to the water, that's why we all have to eat probiotics nowadays.

I suppose it doesn't make any difference, we only need the gut flora to help digest some foods that we eat, excluding those foods would negate the need for these critters.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Sorry if anyone has already stated this.

But I find the one thing most for get to prep for is fixing something. I know a lot of people that have back up food supplies and have a few tools to make life a little easier if things go bad. But a lot of them have no clue how to fix the tools they have let alone maintain them.
They get all this fancy gear and build up the outdoor survival skills, but couldn’t sharpen a knife if they’re life depended on it.

It’s something you can do if you’re on a budget, and as you add more tools supplies they’re always room to improve a little. Also if things do get really bad you can try and use the skills you’ve learned to fix your stuff to fix others for trade.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I haven't noticed any stomach problems since I've started using it. Most everything I've read says that as long as its consumed in small doses, it doesn't get absorbed through the intestines, therefore never coming in contact with beneficial micro flora. If taking it in a larger dose, just eat some yogurt.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I think there are a few things people never think of.

Shoes! Try surviving with your shoes hanging off your feet. You do not want to have to get them from the dead! How many bodies would you need to check to find the right size.

Take a spare pair or two. Don't forget a few pairs of laces.

P

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join