Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Trouble sleeping? Please, come and share your thoughts.

page: 1
2

log in

join

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
The reason I am making this post is because I've been facing some real trouble related to sleep. I know that having trouble sleeping is something considered relatively usual in our society nowadays, but it's been a real burden to me lately and I am getting tired of this. I came here to share what my problem with sleep is and to see if anyone else faces similar issues regarding the subject.

It's been about 10 years now that I can't sleep at night. For a few years I was addict to games and used to play First Person Shooters or MMOs all night long, and I think it may have contributed to the problems I am facing now. Not being able to sleep early has been a real issue for me because, well, all "life" happens during the day, or at least most of it. This is what led me to drinking, because when I drink I get sleepy and also what made me quit my job a few years ago. I now own my own studio and all is going kind of well, but I'm starting to lose it slowly, I can feel it... and it is related to not being awake during daytime.

I've tried for many years, I really have tried really hard, to manage my sleep and stay awake during the day only to be able to go to bed at around 11pm and live like a normal person, only to me this is more than an addiction, I really feel like I can't fight it.

In a few hours from now I'll have to drive to the airport and I still haven't slept a second. I feel sleepy and tired, but when I get to bed I just can't get my brain to shut down, and yes I have tried seeing a psychologist, a psychiatrist, a doctor and even tried sleeping pills already.

I wanna know if there are more people that face similar problems and how you deal with it (if you ever do so).

Thanks in advance.

edit on 25-11-2012 by kromaion because: (no reason given)




posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by kromaion
 


Take some Gravol...that is what nurses use when they get home from night shift and have to try and sleep during the day. Doctor recommended



posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Have you tried melatonin?

Do you exorcise?

Have you ever tried meditation?

I'm dealing with insomnia because I'm homeless and unemployed. Maybe you could use some perspective. Maybe you should volunteer with your extra hours. Maybe...hmmm. I don't know. Maybe if I had answers I wouldn't be answering your post in the middle of the night

Good luck to you.
edit on 25-11-2012 by Mrgone because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I have had ton of problems sleeping, just like yours. I think for me sleeping is just plain boring, and my body does not want to lie down still and relax, it wants to be doing stuff. I have also, and still do use alcohol to sleep, but thankfully it's less common for me now (maybe once or twice a night instead of 5 or 6 days).

I would recommend taking a few days off work so you have no responsibilities, and then having no alcohol, computer games, or any other exciting stimulus. Go to bed at 11 each night, and force yourself to lie still, do nothing, and sleep. You might not sleep the first night, but by night 2, or 3, your body will be so exhausted you will have to sleep. When you do, it will be proper natural sleep, then you can do the same the new night, and the next.

You have to force yourself into a routine and your body all learn to accept the boring night times where you just relax and sleep, and don't get the stimulus of computer games or alcohol. Once you start sleeping better, you need to stick to the routine, though, or you'l go through it all over again.



posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mrgone
Have you tried melatonin?

Do you exorcise?

Have you ever tried meditation?

I'm dealing with insomnia because I'm homeless and unemployed. Maybe you could use some perspective. Maybe you should volunteer with your extra hours. Maybe...hmmm. I don't know. Maybe if I had answers I wouldn't be answering your post in the middle of the night

Good luck to you.
edit on 25-11-2012 by Mrgone because: (no reason given)


Melatonin - yes, doesn't work.

Exercise - yes, only in evenings followed by a short hot tubbing at the rec center. That helps put me to sleep when I get home.

I think your current situation is making you not be able to sleep. You seem to be up worrying about the future and the present. I think once you are able to get up on your feet and become part of the workforce again you will discover a sense of peace which will allow you to sleep better.

That said, I didn't know you were homeless and unemployed. I hope things work out for you in the end.



posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Yep. The reason I am up right now. I can go for at least 2 days without sleep (and function normally) and only need 4 hours of sleep on "normal" nights. It's been that way for at least 10 years now... Something I accept. I don't know what would help you op.

In the past I used to suffer what is commonly called "restless leg syndrome" that kept me awake. No cause could be found but it made trying to sleep difficult. I would eventually end up hiking or walking whatever city I was in during the night.

I know it is taboo here but T,H,C might be a medicinal approach. It did nothing to help me but others praise the affects.



posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by kromaion
The reason I am making this post is because I've been facing some real trouble related to sleep. I know that having trouble sleeping is something considered relatively usual in our society nowadays, but it's been a real burden to me lately and I am getting tired of this. I came here to share what my problem with sleep is and to see if anyone else faces similar issues regarding the subject.

It's been about 10 years now that I can't sleep at night. For a few years I was addict to games and used to play First Person Shooters or MMOs all night long, and I think it may have contributed to the problems I am facing now. Not being able to sleep early has been a real issue for me because, well, all "life" happens during the day, or at least most of it. This is what led me to drinking, because when I drink I get sleepy and also what made me quit my job a few years ago. I now own my own studio and all is going kind of well, but I'm starting to lose it slowly, I can feel it... and it is related to not being awake during daytime.

I've tried for many years, I really have tried really hard, to manage my sleep and stay awake during the day only to be able to go to bed at around 11pm and live like a normal person, only to me this is more than an addiction, I really feel like I can't fight it.

In a few hours from now I'll have to drive to the airport and I still haven't slept a second. I feel sleepy and tired, but when I get to bed I just can't get my brain to shut down, and yes I have tried seeing a psychologist, a psychiatrist, a doctor and even tried sleeping pills already.

I wanna know if there are more people that face similar problems and how you deal with it (if you ever do so).

Thanks in advance.

edit on 25-11-2012 by kromaion because: (no reason given)


Not to trivialize your own struggles, but it's nice to see I'm not alone.

I used to be up before dawn when I was a child. 5am without an alarm clock every day, like clock work. Between the ages of 10 and 12 (I think it had something to do with puberty personally), that slowly changed, and by the time I was a teenager it was virtually impossible to get to sleep early and wake up early.

I'm now 32 and this has been a problem that has plagued me for my entire adult life.School and work have suffered as a result, and like you, I have resorted to self medication to try and deal with it.

I have no suggestions. I'm just glad to hear I'm not alone. People often confuse this sort of thing for laziness, and have no idea how torturous it is for those of us that go through it. We just want to be normal like everyone else.

Best of luck to you and please update if you find something that works, so that the rest of us who share your condition can try it
edit on 25-11-2012 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Saying melatonin "doesn't work" is not quite true. It works for many, and it helped me.

It's unlikely to fix severe sleeping problems, though, Sleeping pills will put you right to sleep, melatonin will work with you to aid sleep and regulate cycles.
edit on 25-11-2012 by humphreysjim because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by humphreysjim
Saying melatonin "doesn't work" is not quite true. It works for many, and it helped me.

It's unlikely to fix severe sleeping problems, though, Sleeping pills will put you right to sleep, melatonin will work with you to aid sleep and regulate cycles.
edit on 25-11-2012 by humphreysjim because: (no reason given)


Melatonin does NOT work for me. I've tried it. Even over the counter sleeping pills don't work. They will get me drowsy but I won't fall asleep (or else I'll fall asleep for an hour or so and be wide awake after that).



posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSeraph

Originally posted by humphreysjim
Saying melatonin "doesn't work" is not quite true. It works for many, and it helped me.

It's unlikely to fix severe sleeping problems, though, Sleeping pills will put you right to sleep, melatonin will work with you to aid sleep and regulate cycles.
edit on 25-11-2012 by humphreysjim because: (no reason given)


Melatonin does NOT work for me. I've tried it. Even over the counter sleeping pills don't work. They will get me drowsy but I won't fall asleep (or else I'll fall asleep for an hour or so and be wide awake after that).


Over the counter sleeping pills are barely better than placebo, and like I say melanin works for some, but more serious sleep problems need either pills, or hard work and a change of life-styles and habits. I'd always recommend the latter, because pills are dangerous, and I can attest to that by getting myself into real trouble using zopiclone, which is supposed to be one of the safer options.



posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
First of all i want to say i completely understand what you felt like everything you went through i felt i went through something similar...



For a few years I was addict to games and used to play First Person Shooters or MMOs all night long, and I think it may have contributed to the problems I am facing now.


I also had this addiction i knew it was getting worse & i had to do something about it before it consumes me.



I'm starting to lose it slowly, I can feel it... and it is related to not being awake during daytime.



I've tried for many years, I really have tried really hard, to manage my sleep and stay awake during the day only to be able to go to bed at around 11pm and live like a normal person, only to me this is more than an addiction, I really feel like I can't fight it.


Try this dude, i know it will be uncomfortable at start but it is a much better feeling..

* Don't rely on any drugs, legal or illegal because in the long term it's not going to help you develop and get you that long term happy feeling, "Trust me i also went to a psychiatrist & doctor"

Try taking a break for a month, Just a month.. Sell all your gaming possessions and plan out door activity's..
with the money you got from selling your items use it on something fun.. Do something extreme with the money
like sky diving or what ever...

IT WORKS

Good luck !



posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I have insomnia. I only sleep about 6 hours , so if I went to bed at 11, I'd be up at 5 am and don't want that!

I hold off going to bed because its boring. I need to hit the pillow and go right out. Or my mind is too busy not shutting down.
Reading before bed helps me now so I've been doing that. I've managed to go to sleep about two hours earlier at least.

If you can manage to get up earlier than usual, use an alarm, then you will tire more easily in the evening.
Just keep setting an alarm at this same earlier time and a routine will develop. I think having a routine helps. I don't currently have one. I'm working on it again, after being sleepless for months.

Good luck



posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Local Pharmacy - Valerian Root, all natural.

Other alternatives: get off your ass and work a full day's hard labor.
Nothing relieves insomnia better than burning yourself out.

I've taken sleeping pills for 15 yrs, was on amphetamine Adderalls for several years, I use to go to sleep every other night for years. I'm a sleep Jedi Master.

Today I have it mastered. All I need is a 1.75 liter of Jim Beam, and that's that, I'm out like a light
most of the week. Read my past history posts, I'm more of an alcoholic than boncho!

Kidding aside, all natural alternatives are your best source.
Practice a new sleep routine for at least 3 nights straight. Your mind will start auto adapting to your new trained behaviors.
edit on 25-11-2012 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   
sometimes when i am in bed and i know i can't sleep then i realize "its going to be a rough night if i don't do something about it" then i slowly try not to think much a doze off and it works but sometimes its hard not to think because you are thinking not to think ahahahahah



posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
My sympathies.
A few ideas that sometimes work for me:

- listening to binaural sounds and compositions (there's a lot on the web, a piece called Brain Massage was my favorite for this but I can't recall the author's name at the moment). Lifeflow is also OK but their approach is different and seem to keep you on a certain level
- samadhi meditation types (closed eyes, this is not the Zen type, it is important that you are allowed to bend forward as long as you are sitting). A good one I sometimes use is the TM Sidhi meditation, which is described for free on the Web by the opponents of the TM movement like trancenet etc. - and before you ask, no, you don't really need an initiation, that is only how they sell their product which is based on the several thousand year old Yoga Sutras. I don't do their other stuff - I don't recommend it - but this technique gets me sleepy at times and you don't have to learn Sanskrit to do it...
- turning off mobile phones or placing them at least ten feet away, and, if you live in an EMF polluted area, constructing a hat for sleeping made with wire mesh
- using strong magnets on temple points before planning to sleep
- reading a book in the evening instead of films or games or browsing
- taking probiotics to adjust intestinal flora (a reason why a lot of people cannot sleep properly)
- also certain fungi seem to have that effect - in the walls esp. Aspergillus Niger



posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Thanks all for all the replies and suggestions, I'll try a few of them later on and see how it goes. In the end it's good to know that I'm not the only one walking this road after all.






top topics



 
2

log in

join