learn more

TriHealth fires 150 employees for not getting flu shots

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by VaterOrlaag

My mother, who NEVER smoked, got lung cancer and died. What is your point?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by stevcolx

For some people the flu shot is beneficial but for the rest it is either a waste of time and money or bad. I've been trying to identify how to tell but there isn't that much research out there addressing this issue. The evidence that they have is based on whether it will help for those with compromised immune systems. I read that anyone who's ancectors survived the flue of 1918 and was born before the mid fifties has a natural immunity. Ones born after that have a reduced chance of the protective antibodies being passed on. That does not mean they do not have the immunity only that the chances are less. They didn't give statistics in the research article I read on that about how many of those after the fifties are susceptible. Hidden by exclusion.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by VaterOrlaag
Smoking is a disgusting, costly habit that benefits absolutely NO ONE, whether it be the people who smoke or the people who must breathe it in.

I agree with this little sentiment - I personally don't care for the habit.

I'm all for regulating it out of existence by bankrupting the tobacco companies. That's something that the U.S government should have done years ago.

Again, while I agree with the first statement you made above I do not agree with this one. It is not the role of the government to target certain habits or companies because they think the product or habit is not good for you. None of their business; however, a private company can hire or not hire smokers as they see fit.

I simply avoid places that allow smoking. If I can't (there are a couple really good restaurants here that have a smoking section) I just wait for a table that seems the farthest away and shower when I get home.

I can choose to give my patronage to whomever I please and if I don't like the atmosphere I won't frequent that place. I do that with businesses that have the "no-weapons" signs. I don't shop there and give them a card that explains why. Granted in rural Missouri these places are far and few between.

Now onto the flu shot issue - it is a private company. If it was clear to the people who were employed there that the consequences of non-compliance were to be termination I think it is well within the rights of the company to do as they wish.

Lots of jobs require certain stipulations, some are about appearance, some about hygiene, some about health and some about (gasp) the personal wishes of the business owner.

People don't have to work for anyone they don't want to just like I am not required to hire someone I do not wish to hire for whatever reason.

I own a small business. I have not hired people because they have poor hygiene, or smelled like smoke. I have not hired people based on their use of Ebonics and the fact that it grates on my friggin nerves to hear people speak it on a regular basis. The gentleman was white BTW but seemed to embrace thug culture for an unknown reason. I have not hired someone for a crappy hand drawn (obviously) tattoo on his neck. It shows IMO a certain lack of good judgment.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Freedom and rights, MY ASS! How many habits can you name where the people who do something AND the people who walk by/breathe it in both face health risks?

Driving Vehicles,Energy Use, and Pollution.

The ALA recently reported that particle pollution from power plants kills approximately 13,000 people per year.

Pollution hazards may be exacerbated for people who are part of an "at-risk" group, such as those with asthma, chronic lung disease, cardiovascular disease, or diabetes. The ALA has also found that people who live in poverty may face higher risk from air pollution. Click here for more information on the SOTA 2011 report, or visit the SOTA website.

Deadliest Air Pollution In U.S.: 10 Worst Cities (PHOTOS)

So before you play "your" card, know that ANYONE can play the same thing, even if your convenient way to drive, kills people. Your part in consumption and use of electricity, kills people.

See how it works? Government Regulations my Arse.......

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Anyone working for a company that forces them to get the flu shot, should be entitled to double wages, paid during time off, if they still come down with the flu.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by stevcolx
The fact that the Flu shot does not work and does you more harm than good would dissuade anyone to get it.

It doesn't work? ok buddy, keep believing that....I can understand how you think it could have something else in it that harms you....but not working....sorry I know exactly how it works.
I suppose you think the polio vaccine doesn't work either?

And to the people complaining about the company firing them....well, that's called capitalism!!!

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by VaterOrlaag

So taking the piss out of your job?
I smoke,
I smoked at worked when I was on a break,
I've never worked for someone who has allowed people to just go for a cig when they want to

Can you link some studies which show the amount of smoke that people walking pass smokers actually breathe in and the effect it has? Seems your problem is once again with people taking the PISS (in this case blowing smoke in other peoples faces)
edit on 25-11-2012 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

I don't like dog # being left on the ground.....BAN DOGS

I don't like the smell of car fumes....BAN CARS

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by aivlas

I don't like dog # being left on the ground.....BAN DOGS

I don't like the smell of car fumes....BAN CARS

Too True.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Let me see if I get the logic right based on the postings in this thread.

The companies are poisoning their employees:
Uuuuh a poisoned employee uses sick days or has very low productivity. Either one costs the company money.

The pharmaceutical companies are paying a kick back:
Someone has to do the accounting. And someone has determined it makes economical sense.

The flu shot makes me sick for a few days:
Well the flu will put you down and out for a week. Maybe kill you. You chose.

The flu shot doesn't work:
How do you personally know if it worked for you? You may have come in contact with several sickies and you didn't catch it. Or maybe you got a different bug and called it the flu.

You can be dead to your rights if you want but I'll take my chances with the shot.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by samkent

Nobody is denying you the right to take the shot if you want to.

Nobody is even promoting that someone who owns a private business can hire or not hire, whomever he pleases.

This is a public company - all funds are tax dollars.

What this discussion is about is private right vs employer rights.

Is there any limit to what can or can't be demanded of private people for the sake of a job?

So far - we know that employers can demand blood and urine testing. We know that employers can demand control of private behavior for the sake of keeping health care costs "down" (ie smoking, obesity etc).

Is there any limit now?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Three pages and no one has brought up the fact that patients in a hospital could be immuno-supressed from advanced HIV, or chemo therapy. The flu could literally kill them.
You're shedding flu virus before you're showing symptoms.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by RottenBeauty

I don't believe it is necessary for every single employee and contractor to be immunized in order to protect immuno-suppressed patients for the following reasons;

1. Immuno-suppressed people are placed in isolation. Contact can easily be restricted to people who have been immunized.
2. Flu shots don't always work particularly in light of the fact that they have a very poor track record in predicting which strain will dominate.
3. A simple cold will do in an immuno-suppressed patient and there is no shot for a common cold.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
My mother got a flu shot for preventios to get sick during flu season,..she got it and.....GOT PNEUMONIA!!!....when she never got sick before !!....just to be in the safe side we NEVER GET THAT KIND OF SHOT UNLESS WE REALLY NEED IT..we learned our lesson..

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

The fact that the Flu shot does not work and does you more harm than good would dissuade anyone to get it.

It doesn't work? ok buddy, keep believing that....I can understand how you think it could have something else in it that harms you....but not working....sorry I know exactly how it works.

And to the people complaining about the company firing them....well, that's called capitalism!!!

Well, it worked, but not like you think:

T]oday, U.S. federal health agencies admit the following two facts: (1) Salk polio vaccine released for public use between 1955 and 1963 was contaminated with SV40; and SV40 has been proven to cause cancer in animals.

Continuing, Fisher said that at a 1997 conference on SV40 and human cancers held by the National Institutes of Health which she attended, "there was no disagreement among both government and non-government scientists about these two facts. The only disagreement was whether SV40 was actually being identified in the cancerous tumors of children and adults alive today and, if it was, whether the monkey virus was in fact responsible for their cancer. Non-government scientists working in independent labs around the world said, 'Yes.' But the scientists connected with the U.S. government said 'No.'"

Fisher went on to say that "credentialed non-government scientists in multiple labs around the world continue to identify SV40 in human brain and lung cancers of children and adults and are finding that SV40 is also associated with bone cancers and Non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas."

Despite ongoing denials, an increasing number of researchers continue to maintain that not only is there a bona fide link between Salk's SV40-tainted vaccines and cancer, that federal government officials and agencies responsible for ensuring the safety of such vaccines - then and now - are loathe to admit it, perhaps because they fear the fallout in terms of lawsuits and lost credibility. Learn more: www.naturalnews.com...

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04
My hospital requires a flu shot to work as well. You can fill out a refusal form (some people are allergic) and you have to wear a mask during the flu season.

Makes sense, they are protecting everyone else more than they are forcing you to comply. :-P

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by rocha123
My mother got a flu shot for preventios to get sick during flu season,..she got it and.....GOT PNEUMONIA!!!....when she never got sick before !!....just to be in the safe side we NEVER GET THAT KIND OF SHOT UNLESS WE REALLY NEED IT..we learned our lesson..

Couldn't it be coincidence? Are they caused by the same virus? I honestly don't know -- not smarting off.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

I agree with your first paragraph, but not the second. I am not the biggest fan of the current state of capitalism, but you are talking about apples and oranges.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by rocha123

No, you didn't learn your lesson. You are engaging in magical pre-scientific erroneous thinking.

Firstly, it's well known that the flu vaccine as currently designed can't protect against all strains of influenza.

So, unless you are sure (from definitive objective medical tests) that you contracted influenza, and that you contracted a strain which was in the vaccine and supposed to protect you, you can't make any statement about your experience relating to the efficacy of the vaccine itself. (And even if there were a correlation, no vaccine is fully effective in all patients even as designed!)

Also, the idea of getting a vaccination "unless we really need it" doesn't make too much sense either, as virtually all vaccines for infectious disease are prophylactic and not therapeutic. If "we really need it", means "already contracted the disease", then the vaccine will be useless. Once you already have it, your body has already mounted an immune response and is trying to fight it off, so the vaccine doesn't do anything additional.

it pains me for people to reject vaccination on scientifically erroneous grounds for emotional reasons. There is hardly a more widespread beneficial development from modern civilization, perhaps equalling only writing and plumbing.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiredofControlFreaks

3. A simple cold will do in an immuno-suppressed patient and there is no shot for a common cold.

For susceptible people, influenza is much more dangerous and lethal than typical upper-respiratory viruses in the class of "common cold".

And besides, the lack of "common cold" vaccination for health care workers is not because of ignoring the dangerous to immunocompromised patients but the lack of a useful vaccine.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I'm an RN. I do not get flu shots.

www.ahrp.org...

Recent Canadian studies indicated that prior receipt of seasonal flu vaccine doubled the risk of illness during the pH1N1 outbreak. (Skowronski et. al. PLoS Med 7:e1000258, April 6, 2010)

www.bmj.com...

Flu shots don't work. The CDC stats on flu death are a joke.

These flu shot mandates are based on modern myths. They. Don't. Work.

If you want to reduce your risk of getting the flu, wash your hands frequently and keep them away from your face. Getr your D3 level up to 50ng/ml or higher. Eat good food that does NOT include grains or sugar. Let your immube system keep you from getting the flu, not a shot that's PROVEN to not work.

My workplace does not require the flu shot. If they ever did they would not have to fire me. I'd quit first. I do not submit to gunploint medicine. Especially when it doesn't work.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join