It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elderly woman destroys 19th-century fresco with DIY restoration

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I think it was Colbert who said it best, when describing the 'restoration,' he called it a 'deformed monkey homunculus.' Pretty much spot on.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
It wouldn't suprise me, if the "restored" painting became more famous than the original, because it was so badly botched.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by BMorris

Yeah, i thought that also. The auction value will probably be doubled because of the attention it's gotten.

Also, you have to admit, It's now a gorgous abstract painting of a neanderthal.

Strict

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
reply to post by lee anoma

HAHA omg stop you are killing me. Between this one and the original thread my sides can't take anymore!

I made this gif to express how the Priest probably reacted when he first saw the "new and improved" Jesus.

Ecce Homo, my friend.
Ecce Homo.

- Lee

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
You know what, I'mma go against the grain here and be the troll. I say this is what art is for us today! She made our Ecce Homo for this generation.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Here is an interesting view on this subject.

Perhaps this offers a new strategy for those who seek to popularise the Old Masters. What if even older, but far greater, paintings were to get the Mr Bean treatment?

full story link:www.guardian.co.uk...

Similarly, the well-meaning restorer of this obscure Spanish painting should be turned loose on a couple of works that actually matter. Many true masterpieces are starved of the global attention this second-rate Ecce Homo has now got. She could be sent to Italy to see what she can do with the frescoes in the Palazzo Schifanoia in Ferrara. Revered by art historians, these paintings of the months of the year have never quite made it into popular culture. There are 12 paintings, one for every month, so one could be sacrificed for the good of the whole. A hideously repainted face on one of the lesser months might make their creator the 15th-century genius Francesco del Cossa as famous as the 19th century mediocrity Elias Garcia Martinez has now become.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I remember reading somewhere, it might of been a joke. The old woman is now suing the place because of all the money they are now making off of people wanting to see the ruined painting.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma

Originally posted by BlindBastards
I could do a better job and I’m utterly useless with the paint brush.

I stand behind her 100%.

- Lee

That's fantastic. I'm pretty sure Consuela could have done a better job. No, no, you buy.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by BMorris
It wouldn't suprise me, if the "restored" painting became more famous than the original, because it was so badly botched.

Interestingly enough, that's exactly what happened. Tourists and pilgrims from all over were flocking to the tiny church to see the 'restored' fresco. The Church itself began to charge a fee for lookyloos to get up close and personal with the... thing. There was even talk of a lawsuit - that is, the 'restorer' suing her former place of worship for a cut of the tourist money.

www.cbc.ca...

The church decided to charge a one-euro admission fee for visitors, collecting about 2,000 euros in four days, which prompted the woman’s family to seek royalties for the work. The non-profit foundation responsible for the church has hired its own lawyers and is considering a lawsuit over the botched restoration.

You really can't make that kind of stuff up.

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Reminds me of this.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join