Ancient tombs discovered in Pakistan's Swat

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Ancient tombs discovered in Pakistan's Swat

Italian archaeologists say they have discovered a cemetery that reveals complex funeral rites dating back more than 3,000 years in Pakistan's Swat valley, recently controlled by the Taliban.

The Italian mission began digging in the 1950s at Udegram, a site of Buddhist treasures in Swat, the northwestern district formerly known as the Switzerland of Pakistan for its stunning mountains, valleys and rivers.

Archaeologists were aware of a pre-Buddhist grave site in Udegram, but only recently discovered the collection of almost 30 graves, tightly clustered and partially overlapping. "Some graves had a stone wall, others were protected by walls and enclosures in beaten clay," Luca Maria Olivieri, head of the Italian mission, told AFP. "The cemetery... seems to have been used between the end of the second millennium BCE and the first half of the first millennium BCE," he added.

I thought I'd drop this here for you to read. It's an interesting find. The report gets a little into the politics of the region. Suffice it to say, I'm glad the Taliban didn't get their hands on these.

Who knows what they may have done to them
thought it was worth posting. I'm hoping we will see more details posted in the near future as the site is explored further.

Enjoy

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Nice find Slayer...

Off to learn more about something I had no idea of existing...again. Damn!

Peace

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Howdy Slayer

Hmmm that's a good post there is a half dozen publications by the archaeologist named in the journalistic report (Luca Maria Olivieri) and the Italian mission but it's unfortunately all behind paywalls

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing, Slayer.

When ever I see these threads I automatically think that you authored them, great contributor with threads that are the foundation's of ATS.

Now, time to read the link. Thanks.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Great thread! That sounds like a beautiful place. Unless I am mistaken, the Taliban would likely not disturb graves (unlike religious idols) as that is forbidden by their religion.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mumbotron

Great thread! That sounds like a beautiful place. Unless I am mistaken, the Taliban would likely not disturb graves (unlike religious idols) as that is forbidden by their religion.

Graves in the ground no they wouldn't touch them, monuments above ground yes

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I appreciate everybody's feedback.
Politics aside, I thought some here would find it interesting

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

What an interesting looking place! I feel like archaeological finds are growing...or is that just because you keep us updated on them more?

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
This is a beautiful place, my father has been there and has some amazing photography. It was controlled by the Taliban but the Pakistan Army has gained control of it again thankfully. (en.wikipedia.org...)

Some images:

edit on 25/11/2012 by GLaDOS because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Lets just hope the locals, and their occipiers aren't twitchy, and this history remains safe for the future...

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I know the OP took the article headline
But is 3000yrs ago really considered "Ancient"?

top topics

join