Non-GMO Labels...If The Japanese Are Doing It, Why Aren't We?

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
So, we all know that Prop 37 has fizzled and that many of us are still reeling by the vote numbers. How a supposedly well informed population can allow Monsanto to continue poisoning them is simply beyond words. Makes no sense whatsoever.
Must have been some very powerful Kool-Aid being served.

And then I started to think that the decision is the key to what could very well be a windfall of sorts for the smaller food companies/growers etc. It's been said on a few other threads that they should start labeling their products as being GMO Free to fight back. But we need to see another side here. This is an opportunity for the little guy in disguise.

As you can see in the picture, this is all we need to see as a consumer so that we can make our choice to buy or not. What's the extra cost to the supplier? I don't know but it's a few extra words on the package...that's it. The cost probably couldn't even be counted as it would be so minimal. I doubt anyone would even try to add it up.

So now we have a grocery store with "No GMO" labelled products on the shelves and the products without the stamp? "This is a GMO Product" might as well be stamped all over it...

When I was shopping for our restaurant today, I noticed this product sitting next to others and immediately bought this one. Same price but that little print on the front was what made my decision to buy this particular one.

If all the little guys that were producing Non GMO products put the stamp on their packaging, I'm going to bet that they would see their sales climb. Because it doesn't matter what went down in California and why the vote went so wrong, there are so many of us that want to know, want the choice of what we put in our bodies.

This is another way to fight the Monsanto Monster...in reverse.

So, If The Japanese Are Doing It, Why Aren't We?

Peace

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
First you need to check if it is REQUIRED in Japan.

As far as I am aware, there are no statutes or acts prohibiting the inclusion of 'non-gmo' advertising.
If a company wishes to declare that they are GMO free, then they are welcome to.

Where-as Prop 37 would REQUIRE all companies using GMO produce, to list that there is GMO ingredients in their food.

Companies will start catching on that people do not want GMO and will label their products accordingly.
Soon the sign of a GMO product will be that it DOESN'T have 'NO GMO' on its label, as by law, they can't say something isn't true.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
So if I understand you correctly, this was an example of a voluntarily placed label, as opposed to a legislative act?
The wording is in english and doesnt conform to examples I've just read about in other webpages.

The reason I ask is that reading else where, the limit on "non" GMO in Japan is 5 percent. to be able to place the label. The "danger", if you could call it that is that if such a marketing label is placed voluntarily just to increase sales then there would be no specific limit on the percentage of GMO ingredient in the product.
eg. 49 percent GMO content could be described most accuratly in one line as "NON GMO" as opposed to the more innacurate "Made from GMO"... but would in reality give the consumer who wants to avoid it no tangible benefit whatsoever.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1
So if I understand you correctly, this was an example of a voluntarily placed label, as opposed to a legislative act?
The wording is in english and doesnt conform to examples I've just read about in other webpages.

The reason I ask is that reading else where, the limit on "non" GMO in Japan is 5 percent. to be able to place the label. The "danger", if you could call it that is that if such a marketing label is placed voluntarily just to increase sales then there would be no specific limit on the percentage of GMO ingredient in the product.
eg. 49 percent GMO content could be described most accuratly in one line as "NON GMO" as opposed to the more innacurate "Made from GMO"... but would in reality give the consumer who wants to avoid it no tangible benefit whatsoever.

This is an imported product that I purchased here in Canada. There were many other products next to this one with the same stamp as well.

I'm thinking that the Japanese are cluing into the fact that that label is a positive note in the West.

Peace

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sovaka
Soon the sign of a GMO product will be that it DOESN'T have 'NO GMO' on its label...

Because of the ever present contamination in the production, there will never be a "NO" label that is true. The best anyone can hope for is a label that says GMO is under a certain percentage.
eg. "Made from non GMO ingredients" (proscribed wording that defines the percentage in the legislative act)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Nature's Path cereal here in Canada has Non-GMO labels. They even have one with hemp seeds.
Look for them next time you're shopping.

I team their stuff up with organic soy beverage for a healthy breakfast and a clear conscience.

I guess what I mean by all that is that you can find non-GMO labelled food in several places.
edit on 24/11/12 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Not correct, you have a lot of produce coming from non mass scale farm coops that have zero contamination.

People just have to wisen up that it isn't a great idea buying "fresh" produce from mass corporate grocery chains.
Instead seek out local farmers markets or coops if available to them.

Else wise, if you don't like the fact you can ONLY buy from mass chain grocery stores, perhaps you should look at relocating?

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdamsMurmur
Nature's Path cereal here in Canada has Non-GMO labels. They even have one with hemp seeds.
Look for them next time you're shopping.

I team their stuff up with organic soy beverage for a healthy breakfast and a clear conscience.

I guess what I mean by all that is that you can find non-GMO labelled food in several places.
edit on 24/11/12 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

I have seen Non-GMO stamps on a lot of food in Canada as well.

I believe that it will soon catch on to the suppliers that the stamp could increase their bottom line as many are starting to look for that label.

Peace

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sovaka
reply to post by alfa1

Not correct, you have a lot of produce coming from non mass scale farm coops that have zero contamination.

People just have to wisen up that it isn't a great idea buying "fresh" produce from mass corporate grocery chains.
Instead seek out local farmers markets or coops if available to them.

Else wise, if you don't like the fact you can ONLY buy from mass chain grocery stores, perhaps you should look at relocating?

Exactly.

Look at what happened with Whole Foods>

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Unfortunately, organic and non-GMO do not always mean healthy or safe , especially when it comes to soy. The isoflavones
in soy may cause a proliferation of cancer cells, and soy is in hundreds of products. Soy is best eaten in a
high quality form such as miso, tempeh, and tamari which are fermented and a rich source of vitamin B12.

Many products are labelled non-GMO and I think more companies will jump on this bandwagon. l know I look for
this label and will not buy a product without it. BTW, yams and sweet potatoes cannot be genetically modified,
they tried .

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by chagahunter

I bought a pie in the UK the other day that stated on the box that it had no GM ingredients. It's not law here, but companies are catching on to the fact that it's a good marketing device given the distrust and opposition here to GM foods.

edit on 25/11/12 by Insomniac because: typo

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I don't really understand what the fuss is about GM food..

Surely all our food has been genetically altered over the years.....

But to answer the OP's question, yours is a nation that has spray cheese in a can. Nuff said....

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Yes it has, but by selective breeding. One of the things that disturbs people about GM food is using animal DNA in vegetables.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Insomniac

Again, I must be missing something, but if we eat the animal anyway, what is the harm?

Is it just a fear of the unknown or is there evidence it is harmful? Are the cabbages and leeks of the world going to turn into Triffids? What's the problem?

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I don't trust monsanto amd I also do not think they gave GMO's proper testing before they let them on the market. Just like aspartame and sacharin, its all about getting it out and selling massive amounts of it without any real research to see the long term effects. I sincerely believe corruption is also involved in many different ways and the last thing this planet needs is a corporations having control of our food supply.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Japan has more freedom of press, so more citizens know of GMO's reputation. Also, Japan is really big on agriculture with local growers everywhere. Monsanto would have to make their products dirt cheap for a Japanese native to even think about touching that stuff.

new topics
top topics

join