It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Poor Man’s Guide To Survival Gear

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by WoodSpirit
Gear post from another thread,

www.abovetopsecret.com...

You stole my gear!

We carry nearly identical items.
My carry saw is the Gerber retractable blade version, just a tiny bit lighter than yours.
I can't sleep in a hammock though - back issues.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Lol, jeah I noticed.

I just read your other thread and there is much more stuff I didn't list that we both carry.

Good list.

I like to keep perfecting my kit and everytime you go out you learn what works for you and what doesn't.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by WoodSpirit

Thanks for the reply.
What I didn't emphasize in my thread was that I utilize many things found in nature. I don't carry a tent or sleeping bag because I make debris huts to sleep in.
I don't carry much food because I know I can always forage something to eat regardless of the time of year.
Same for meat, as I can set a few snares or paiute deadfalls in an hour or 2 and likely catch a squirrel, rabbit or chipmunk.
Mainly given what I carry shelter is the main thing I must improvise every night depending on conditions.

I'm betting you operate on a similar philosophy.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starcrossd
Hi.
Love your threads! I read your other on on the BOB and noticed the Mora knives are out of stock. I haven't been able to find another source for the original knives, but the link you provided has these as an alternative. Any thoughts?
also..Can you address tinders in your thread? I've been practicing with different firestarters and can NOT get a flame with my firesteel. (arg!) Thanks

The British army uses a femail internal hygiene device, when stripped down,the internal part provides a very good fire starter, its part of their standard kit!

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Wow, that is uncanny how similar your gear is to each other!

Ask, how do you carry your canteen; is it on a belt or in your pack? Can you use your filter with the canteen?

You're brave for not carrying a bag and shelter! My AO is also very conducive for building a natural shelter, but we don't have any poisonous snakes around here! The thought of bunking up with a rattler or similar would drive me nuts.
What about the prospect of needing a quick shelter due to rain/storm and not having the time to build one? I'd also personally be concerned about energy consumption. If "something shtf" happened, and you needed to travel, building a new shelter every day would be very time and energy consuming.

Do you have any concerns with not carrying shelter?
edit on 26-11-2012 by METACOMET because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by METACOMET

I do carry shelter - it;s listed on my B.O.B. thread.
I would have liked to list more items but I had to cut it off at some point.
I use the old military rain poncho/shelter half and carry a wool blanket that's also made in to a poncho (made a hole for my head and reinforced the ends of the cuts then added velcro straps to pull the hole together when sleeping).

I carry a canteen on each end of my alice pack and a 100 oz water bladder that's attached to a tac vest, I carry my knives, compass, firemaking materials, first aid, water bladder, pistol and ammo on the vest. It's great to have heavy items carried closer to your body, makes it easier to carry and less stress in general. Plus if I have to ditch my B.O.B. for any reason I still have basic gear on me.

To go out with no rain protection or bag would be suicidal more or less. i pack a piece of mosquito netting large enough to cover my shelter entrance to boot.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   

I'm pretty good at trapping but it is illegal per definition in my country, and in the rest of Europe too for the most.

I can make a good shelter but I really need to stay of of the ground as much as possible, I get eaten alive by ticks, that really sucks, had more than ten tick bites the last two years. They just seem to freakin love me, and they leave my buddies alone.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by WoodSpirit

Ticks don't like Plantain (Plantago sp.), try eating the seeds every day and also mashing the whole plant in alcohol, allow to soak for a day, strain out the plant pieces and put in a spray bottle.
Something I just read but haven;t tried is eating Alfalfa (supplement available at health food stores), 2 tablets 3X per day for at least 3 days.
Ticks are a huge problem where I am as well. Anywhere you have deer, rabbits or mice they can be found. Terrain doesn't seem to matter either, they're in pine woods, hard woods, open fields and hedges.
I can catch most of the big ones but the seed ticks (larval stage) are a real problem as they show up by the hundred.

I'll be testing the alfalfa next year.
Freezing temperatures are your only relief from the constant attacks.
Maybe that's why I love fall in the woods so much.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I've got to get busy!! I have most of the stuff, just not packed together. I guess I'm hoping for an hour or two to get everything together! Not good, not good at all. I will have to change my attitude and get it together. Ammo is so expensive right now. It's down right crazy where I live. Must get my list together and start gathering everything up!! Thanks for the tips!

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by GideonFaith

One way to save a little money is to only load the first 1 or 2 rounds of your clip with expensive HP ammo, any shots after that either you or your target will be running anyway so just use JHP in the rest of the clip.

I think 100 rounds per gun is a bare minimum, but even 10 rounds if better than none at all. Just have to be very selective about how you use them up.

In a real SHTF scenario 2 hours is too long to need to get your stuff together, try doing some drills to see how long it actually does take then refine from there.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
reply to post by GideonFaith

One way to save a little money is to only load the first 1 or 2 rounds of your clip with expensive HP ammo, any shots after that either you or your target will be running anyway so just use JHP in the rest of the clip.

I think 100 rounds per gun is a bare minimum, but even 10 rounds if better than none at all. Just have to be very selective about how you use them up.

In a real SHTF scenario 2 hours is too long to need to get your stuff together, try doing some drills to see how long it actually does take then refine from there.

I'm hoping for a one shot kill! I see what you are saying and it makes sense. With my organization skills right now, we would be in deep trouble if it happened now. I will say we have prepared in many ways, just not with a leaving our home kind of way.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join