A thread to EDUCATE the UNEDUCATED about 2012

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
After just reading this thread my eyes began to twitch in that 'I cant believe what I am reading way'.

On the 21.12.2012 the Center of our Galaxy, the Sun and Planet Earth will be in alignment.

The coolest thing about this is the End of the Maya calender is this date.
So either, they were so advanced in astronomy, that they chose to make their calender restart date, or they believed something would be happening on this date.

A specific event which only takes place once ever 26,000 years.
So if the Maya believed their civilization would be around for that long it would make sense its just the start of another 26,000 year calender.

Yet the Maya are nowhere to be seen, even though their culture were advanced in many aspects, they still performed blood sacrifices SO after much thought IT ALL BOILS DOWN TO NO ONE WILL KNOW UNTIL THE DAY.

The way the world is going, our time is limited anyway.

Thanks for making it through my 2 cents.

Sage.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SageBeno

A few points that need correcting. If we just count 13 baktuns that is only a little more than 5100 years. Not 26,000. However that point is moot as the Long Count does not end after 13 baktuns. It continues going on to infinite.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
The most truly educational response to your threads question is and always will be,
the one after 2011 and before 2013.

Having said that of course its fascinating that ancient civilisations had such in depth astronomical knowledge.

How and why they had such knowledge is astounding...
however

is it not enough that the Calender predicted the Alignment?

That is a feat worthy of great praise, without Enlightenment stories or end of the world scenarios. Without Cosmic upgrades, and Alien invasions, just plain simple observational science and Mathematics of the highest Calibre.
Fascinating Yes, something to wait on, with baited breath, never.
edit on 24-11-2012 by Lagrimas because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Lagrimas

Here's the thing though, this "alignment" occurs twice a year every year. It has been happening on the winter solstice for the past few decades and will continue to do so for a few more years. This isn't even the most accurate alignment to occur on the solstice. That happened back in 1998.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lagrimas
The most truly educational response to your threads question is and always will be,
the one after 2011 and before 2013.

Having said that of course its fascinating that ancient civilisations had such in depth astronomical knowledge.

How and why they had such knowledge is astounding...
however

is it not enough that the Calender predicted the Alignment?

That is a feat worthy of great praise, without Enlightenment stories or end of the world scenarios. Without Cosmic upgrades, and Alien invasions, just plain simple observational science and Mathematics of the highest Calibre.
Fascinating Yes, something to wait on, with baited breath, never.
edit on 24-11-2012 by Lagrimas because: (no reason given)

Unless you're planning to go to a fat rave that night, like I am! And then the 21st of December Maya super prediction apocalyptical mystical awakening while shielding eyes from nibirus dreadfull rays... has a awesome reason to be waited on with excitement!
Psytrance rave YEYY!

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Well thanks for clearing that up X.

Is it just me or are all of the things that happened in the movie 2012, slowly, one by one, happening (given I know its just a movie) But the Massive storms, The methane escaping from the ground in Australia due to Fracking, Crazy Hail, Ground cracking without earthquakes through New Mexico.

It just seems like one by one, these things are trying to warm us of something horrible taking place within our planet and it seems ever so imminent

link   
Since the Mayans were one of the first cultures to have a concept of zero and place value, it stands to reason that it's a cycle, not an end. With the concept of zero comes the concept of infinity and repeating cycles. We've already seen from studying them that they did understand repeating cycles and their calender was circular in shape, not linear. It's a cycle, not an end.

link   

YES, for some, it is.
i learned about the Maya waaaay back in the early 70s.
even then i seriously questioned the anticipated alignment ... i just didn't believe such a prediction for sooooo many years yet to come was possible from a time soooo very long ago. How fabulous !!

i agree with the OP that reverence and appreciation for such an ancient ppl to have acquired this knowledge should be emphasized

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Sorry OP have you any proof that we are going thru this?
Not being naughty I just want to see some decent proof because I find this stuff cool.
edit on 24-11-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254

Here's the thing though, this "alignment" occurs twice a year every year. It has been happening on the winter solstice for the past few decades and will continue to do so for a few more years. This isn't even the most accurate alignment to occur on the solstice. That happened back in 1998.

Well then, the Mayan Calender might just happen to end on a day when there is a not very amazing conjunction by sheer chance, and the Mayan Calender probably just ends because they stopped making it, under attack from the spanish Conquistadors.

All the fuss still led to a blooody good rave though!
Well done Mayans! And Conspiracy freaks you caused enough of a fuss to make christmas come twice this year! two christmas raves not one! AND then new years eve rave! 3 christmas raves, its a BIG christmas!

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93

YES, for some, it is.
i learned about the Maya waaaay back in the early 70s.
even then i seriously questioned the anticipated alignment ... i just didn't believe such a prediction for sooooo many years yet to come was possible from a time soooo very long ago. How fabulous !!

i agree with the OP that reverence and appreciation for such an ancient ppl to have acquired this knowledge should be emphasized

Ok so what is it?Is it true that the Alignment will be planets, sun and galactic centre, big one off special, OR
is it just one of the same alignments we get all the time?

This has to be known by now. I always browse the 2012 doom threads etc etc of course I do, I love ATS its my entertainment source, and knowledge fountain of the esoteric weird wacky wonderful and cryptic. But sometimes it is like a merry go round...

Im just not getting whether its an accepted phenomenon or not at the moment. Are Mayans awesomesause or just random flukes?

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I'm 110% sure the world wont end and here is why...

USS John F. Kennedy (CVN-79)

This bad boy is set to be completed in 2020 and we all know how the U.S Navy treats their carriers right?

Very Seriously.

So we're all good, let the wars continue.

SS
edit on 063030p://pm3051 by Spike Spiegle because: carrier name

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Yet the Maya are nowhere to be seen,

Here are some links to educate the uneducated about the Mayans who ARE STILL AROUND.

Mayan Elder Speaks
Another Mayan Elder Speaks
Mayans Today
The Maya Today
Mayans Today
Google Mayans today
Before you go dismissing and entire culture you might want to do some research before you spout off lies.

The Maya are still around!

The Maya today number about six million people, making them the largest single block of indigenous peoples north of Peru

edit on 11/24/2012 by mblahnikluver because: add link
edit on 11/24/2012 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Thank you, I wish I had known before writing that.

That aside- the Maya still being here, how do their current beliefs coincide with their ancestor counterparts?

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SageBeno
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Thank you, I wish I had known before writing that.

That aside- the Maya still being here, how do their current beliefs coincide with their ancestor counterparts?

Well next time before you try and "educate" others you might want to educate yourself.

They still have the same beliefs. I wish we had strong beliefs like the Mayans and strong emotional ties to their ancestors. They know more about our planet and her cycles than we do. They respect the planet, we don't. Instead we care more about what we can get on sale on Black Friday or what Kim Kardashian is up to. I don't blame them for being upset at what modern society has done to their beliefs and traditions.

They never once said the world would end. It's a time of change a conscious change. It's the end of an era and the beginning of a new one. The whole "end of the world" is Hollywood trying to make a buck and scare people.

The Mayans are actually pretty annoyed at the lies being said about their beliefs. I mean how would you like it if someone twisted your ancestors beliefs for profit and fear? There are many people who will freak out on this date and I bet a million dollars there will be those who commit suicide just like that rapture idiot.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Ok so what is it?Is it true that the Alignment will be planets, sun and galactic centre, big one off special, OR
is it just one of the same alignments we get all the time?
technically ?? Both.
yes it is a recurring alignment, however, this one IS special for more reasons than placement.
lots of info online, feel free to explore.

I always browse the 2012 doom threads etc etc of course I do, I love ATS its my entertainment source, and knowledge fountain of the esoteric weird wacky wonderful and cryptic. But sometimes it is like a merry go round...

Im just not getting whether its an accepted phenomenon or not at the moment. Are Mayans awesomesause or just random flukes?
accepted phenomenon doesn't even apply, really.
it's not a phenomenon, it's a cycle.
one which doesn't ever repeat in our lifetimes ... perhaps that is why it's referred to as a phenomenon ?

personally, i don't buy into the doom as much as some, however, i totally believe we are in for a change. what that change will be is as much an unknown as tomorrow is, today.

how to prepare ?? same way you always prepare for the unknown ... some do, some don't.
some camp without provisions, some hike without so much as a compass.
i was a girl scout so it is not in my being to be UNprepared.

when i was younger (before back trouble) ppl used to ask if i kept a kitchen sink in my purse ?

do i overdo it sometimes, sure ... but i'm a girl and that comes with the territory

what you believe is what matters, not what others believe.
just remember, when walking through the woods, often, 2 separate paths lead to the same destination.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten
Since the Mayans were one of the first cultures to have a concept of zero and place value, it stands to reason that it's a cycle, not an end. With the concept of zero comes the concept of infinity and repeating cycles. We've already seen from studying them that they did understand repeating cycles and their calender was circular in shape, not linear. It's a cycle, not an end.

Chiten, did you know your little purple bird looks drugged when it goes to close it's eyes?

Anyhow.. Absolutely, and in any repeating/infinite system there's bound to be overlaps and coincidences I'm sure if one looked hard enough the Mayans predicted World War 2 and the assassination of Kennedy as well. But you are absolutely correct.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

it's his ADHD medication

top topics

join