Wal Mart Employees protest, I call BS

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by foodstamp

Makes me sick to my stomach that some people think the job you do defines you as a person and If you are on Min wage people think you are not intelligent.
Many jobs need to be done, I get paid bugger all, I care for people and do a job many of you would say is beneath you.
When you are old and grey you will hope you get people like me looking after you, But I have seen it so many times with care staff that because it is so low paid they think they can do a half assed job.
All we want is a fair pay packet for a weeks hard work..is that so much to ask?
edit on 26-11-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

Makes me sick to my stomach that some people think the job you do defines you as a person and If you are on Min wage people think you are not intelligent.
Many jobs need to be done, I get paid bugger all, I care for people and do a job many of you would say is beneath you.
When you are old and grey you will hope you get people like me looking after you, But I have seen it so many times with care staff that because it is so low paid they think they can do a half assed job.

If you'd go back to page 6, read my big post, then read the articles as a whole. I would greatly appreciate a response to the articles. Not my 2nd and third posts. But instead, the articles. with a little help, maybe I can revive this thread.

The thread is in reference "Wal Mart employee's protesting" when in fact, they have not.. What's up with that? What's your take?

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I was sent these Tweets, so I don't know the source, but anyway, FYI: I'll try to do some more research and edit if I find out more.

1. Walmart’s customer base is heavily concentrated in the bottom income quintile, which spends heavily on food.

2.The bottom income quintile spends about 25 percent of income on food compared to just 3.5 percent for the top quintile.

3. So the benefits of Walmart’s substantially lower prices to the lowest earning cohort are huge, especially on food.

4. Obama adviser Jason Furman has estimated the welfare boost of Walmart’s low food prices alone is about $50b a year.

5. Walmart’s wages are about average for retail. Not amazing. But not the worst either.

6. Paying Walmart’s workers more would mean the money has to come from somewhere. But where?

7. Erase the Walmart CEO’s entire salary, and you can raise average hourly wages by just a penny or so.

8. Erase the entire Walton family fortune and you get an average $1/hour boost to Walmart workers.

9. Raise prices to pay for increased wages and you cut into the store’s huge low-price benefits for the poor. It’s regressive.

10. But what about Costco? They pay more, right? Yes, but it’s a different, smaller market.

11. Walmart’s average customer earns roughly $35k. Costco’s average customer earns about $75k.

12. Costco only has about half as many employees as Walmart. What would happen if Walmart adopted a Costco model and shrank to Costco size?

13. Not at all clear that the remaining half of Walmart workers would be better off. Many would almost certainly be worse off. Unemployed.

14. Obama econ adviser Jason Furman did a lot of the work on Walmart’s progressive benefits. His case: slate.me...

15. Finally, as someone who’s actually been a regular, small-town Walmart shopper, I’d like to argue for its community benefits.

16. Yes, some small stores close when Walmart opens. But in small towns, Walmart can become real community hubs – more so, because of size.

17. As for Walmart workers getting health benefits thru Medicaid, that’s due in part to a policy liberals argued for: wapo.st...

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

My take on it is that they are to scared to protest, they will get fired if they do not turn up to work.
They know they can get workers at the moment.
This world is getting me more down everyday because the ones with the money can do what they want to the ones who have none.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

I don't I will hope they get people that don't GAF and Abuse them, d'ya know why? Because they think we'e beneath them (yes I worked with mentally handicapped people in a nursing home type environment) They are basiclly the same as taking care of elders. I am supposing that's what you do? Oh and the guy who makes your big macs you might not want to put him down either, as you may end up with some extra special sauce on your sandwich....and I don't mean the good kind.
edit on 26-11-2012 by ldyserenity because: effing typewriter has been wonky all week :/

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

My take on it is that they are to scared to protest, they will get fired if they do not turn up to work.
This world is getting me more down everyday because the ones with the money can do what they want to the ones who have none.

But don't you think that they base their pay upon the same factors as most companies? I mean, your statements could apply to any American business for the last hundred or so years could they not?

link   
reply to post by schuyler

Source or no source. An excellent post indeed. I printed your posting out for further argument. Thank you..

link   

Makes me sick to my stomach that some people think the job you do defines you as a person

I do.

and If you are on Min wage people think you are not intelligent.

Well I don't really think so, but let me come to the first point.

Your choices do define what you are. I'm very lucky to have been born in a family that was technically rather poor, but which valued good education above all things. I was working my butt off in school and was twice accepted to different magnet school on merits. I'll spare you the rest of the detail, but after a long while it really paid off. I had a choice to slack off, I didn't. I'm not saying that I'm more intelligent than the next guy, but what you choose to do in this life does define you as a person. And oh, when I neglected to make sure I'm 100% committed in one of my jobs, that didn't work exactly in my favor.

When I was younger, I did menial jobs that paid pittance, and worked to exhaustion. I didn't think I was "below" anyone at some deep philosophical level, but in terms of sheer achievement and being able to help others, well this was too early to tell.

My personal theory, in this day and age there is a way... If there is the will. I've seen building contractors becoming doctors (my students, actually) and before that they were simply workers.
edit on 26-11-2012 by buddhasystem because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

My point is I have had people look down on me because of the job I do, I recently went to a high school reunion and some twit I used to know came over and said " So Boymonkey what do you do" I said " I look after old people in a care home" he then said "Ah I knew you wouldn't amount to much" by the end of the night and 20 more comments like that I offered to take it outside...he wet himself and ran away.
Not all people are like that and many of my pals admire that I got out of the rat race to do something that effects people on a daily basis, even though I earn nowt.
I do not tell anyone in RL what I do because some scoff that a male (me) will do my type of work.
As long as you put 100% into your job and take pride in it you deserve a living wage, I do not want mega bucks I just want enough to live on without worrying If I eat or buy a new pair of work shoes.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

So Boymonkey what do you do" I said " I look after old people in a care home" he then said "Ah I knew you wouldn't amount to much" by the end of the night and 20 more comments like that I offered to take it outside...he wet himself and ran away.

Dude, keep your cool next time

Not all people are like that and many of my pals admire that I got out of the rat race to do something that effects people on a daily basis, even though I earn nowt.

Amusing how you are offended by people being judgmental and in the next line you feel superior and are looking down on those "in the rat race". Just saying.

As long as you put 100% into your job and take pride in it you deserve a living wage, I do not want mega
bucks I just want enough to live on without worrying If I eat or buy a new pair of work shoes.

I trust you can have them. I respect your line of work, by the way. I do.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

I'am not putting anyone down because they are in the rat race at all. I was a Pub Manager for many years earning 40k a year, I got married and my wife (Ex) earned a lot more and my job was killing me so she said do what you want so I started in mental health then moved over to elderly care.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Okay, so everyone gets a college degree. Now who will take these jobs? Many businessmen don't seem to realize that without the low-educated work force they wouldn't make any money at all.
edit on 11/24/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

Yes, they would - for more reasons than I care to expound upon here. Suffice it to say that you do not understand free-market principles and economics. Higher achievers make more money, lower achievers make less. For some, low achievement is a choice; laziness, low aspirations, poor work ethic etc... They do NOT deserve to make mid-market wages when they are low-level achievers. Whining and carrying on like a 5 year old who wants ice cream for dinner won't change any of that!

In a free market economy, companies are forced to pay what the market will bear. If there are millions of unskilled workers and competition for the jobs are high, they can pay less. If everyone has a college degree, then the competition for the workforce increases and so does the pay required to field said workforce.

Rather than demand to be paid a wage that they haven't earned, they should focus on developing a skill set that is in demand. It is honest to God, that simple!!!

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Do you value truth at all? You do realise a lot of the bargain items sold are "made in china" for usa consumption, correct? Chinese wages are significantly lower than american wages due to cost of living differences.

These products are then imported into the usa and sold as american-brand merchandise. Companies like walmart who have bare minimum skeleton crews, refuse to pay overtime to the majority of employees, low decoration within store, and cheaply manufactured foreign items.

You get to save some money buying these items, because on top of everything else the items imported into the usa are tarrif-free. But considering all the shortcuts taken by walmart and other high discount retail outlets they could probably resell that merchandise at even half price and still turn in reasonably high profits. Walmart is not doing anyone any real favor at all except to their shareholders who value every single penny in dividends regardless of how unethical or even illegal their malpractice is.

Barely anything you say is accurate. Lots and lots of propaganda has me convinced you are a wall street shill and right wing lunatic.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Nice work!

Now stop making sense - you're going to piss off a liberal! You're supposed to employ simple emotion and leave the logic and rationale out of the argument. Remember - all of this whining is akin to a 5 year old throwing a tantrum because they can't have ice cream for dinner!

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

That is what happens when unions go down the drain because of constant 24/7 right wing bull#.

Unions were the last impediment to feudalism and people are willingly giving up their right to collective bargaining. What hope can individuals have of seeking a good pay, reasonable benefits, with respect and dignity in a job depravation market? If you don't like it then learn chineese!

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
The problem isn't just low wages though, here in the UK affordable housing is a big problem. I pay 60% of my wage to a landlord and it is no palace.
In fact I have been thinking of moving back to my Mums, at least the money I give her stays in the family.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

That is what happens when unions go down the drain because of constant 24/7 right wing bull#.

Unions were the last impediment to feudalism and people are willingly giving up their right to collective bargaining. What hope can individuals have of seeking a good pay, reasonable benefits, with respect and dignity in a job depravation market? If you don't like it then learn chineese!

I have never really understood this whole union thing. I've never been in aunion so I can't speak to it's advantages/. However, I don't understand why union has to coincide with protest. Why can't any group of employees stick together and protest? If you are afraid to protest then perhaps your not ready to protest? After all, I would define protest as being something you do to better your situation when you feel like you really don't have much left to lose? Isn't that what protest is all about?

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Yeah. We all saw how occupy with tens of thousands of peaceful protesters in america got beaten down with sticks, maced with pepper spray, water cannons, etc for no good reason. The cops themselves were the ones instigating the violence, and the local authorities deemed it was enough to send even more cops(gestapo) to arrest the protestors on phoney excuses.

Good luck with your maverick approach.
edit on 26/11/12 by EarthCitizen07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo

Originally posted by jiggerj

Okay, so everyone gets a college degree. Now who will take these jobs? Many businessmen don't seem to realize that without the low-educated work force they wouldn't make any money at all.
edit on 11/24/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

Yes, they would - for more reasons than I care to expound upon here. Suffice it to say that you do not understand free-market principles and economics. Higher achievers make more money, lower achievers make less. For some, low achievement is a choice; laziness, low aspirations, poor work ethic etc... They do NOT deserve to make mid-market wages when they are low-level achievers. Whining and carrying on like a 5 year old who wants ice cream for dinner won't change any of that!

In a free market economy, companies are forced to pay what the market will bear. If there are millions of unskilled workers and competition for the jobs are high, they can pay less. If everyone has a college degree, then the competition for the workforce increases and so does the pay required to field said workforce.

Rather than demand to be paid a wage that they haven't earned, they should focus on developing a skill set that is in demand. It is honest to God, that simple!!!

In the system we have now you are absolutely right. This system allows employees to pay the least amount possible. Walmart ***profits*** about 40 billion per year, and you're telling me it couldn't squeeze a couple bucks more an hour for the employees?

As far as I'm concerned it should be illegal for any person or company to make that kind of money each year. An economy is SUPPOSED to be about the flow of currency from one hand to the next. Walmart's 40 billion each year probably sits in the shareholder's bank. As long as it sits there, no other U.S. citizen can earn it or spend it. That money is taken right out of the system. Sure, people can borrow on it, but this just generates interest that takes even MORE money out of the hands of the consumers.

People are mistaken when they think it's THEIR money. It isn't. This money is legal tender that is supposed to be used to trade for goods and services. People should have no right to hold onto it for longer than a year. These people are supposed to BUY stuff with it: Apartment buildings, yachts, mansions, gold, silver, cars...

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Think of it this way: You've saved $1,000 and you didn't touch it for a year. You already paid taxes on it, so will you pay taxes on it again this year? No. If you spent that money, not only would you still have the value of that money in what you purchased (a diamond ring, gold, whatever), but the people that you paid the thousand to would have to pay taxes on it. We're talking just a thousand dollars here; how many billions - if not trillions - is sitting around NOT generating taxes?

This current system needs to be changed.
edit on 11/26/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)
edit on 11/26/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join