Wal Mart Employees protest, I call BS

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
That sounds like scarey stuff man,,,,,commienism!

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

No. You deserve a wage that befits the level of skills and the return in value you can provide a company.

The value of retail workers to walmart is priceless. They are what allows them to make the billions in profits every year. Stocking a shelf doesn't take a PHD, but NO job at walmart does so..... It's all relative.

The whole point is that walmart can more than afford to pay their workers, they choose not to. This hurts the US economy so much. You're basically complying with the destruction of the country for the sake of some corporate entity....which is weird. I choose people over walmart.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I am poor. I will soon begin a minimum wage job, which i am more than happy to have while I look for and find better work. I have worked minimum wage for the past 4 years, and that is because I have not applied myself to the point where i have deserved to be paid more than that. Nobody working at Wal-Mart should be complaining about receiving minimum wage, let alone 11 dollars an hour unless they're some sort of shift leader or manager or are one of those pleasant, somewhat simple underachieving older women that have been there for 20 years.

This is because the job at Walmart recquires no skills or talents; does not even ask you to work hard in the slightest. If you are somewhat competent and somewhat polite/friendly you will be a grand employee.

I recently went to the new walmart they put up in the town i was previously living in, and the quality of their employees was absolutely awful. Granted it was a new store but there were probably 10 managers in the front, all in over their heads with complaints from rightfully miffed customers, stammering and unsure what to do about anything. I tried to buy a plain collared work shirt and there was one brand available, one size, a medium. I was finally able to sneak up on an employee amongst the dozens pretending to be busy wandering around (this was a huge walmart even by the standards of this monster) to politely ask if they possibly had an XL in the back. I was instantly told "No, Everything We Have Is Out Already". This was annoying as I know this is untrue, so after asking a few more employees I was able to hunt down and getting simililarly useless "help" I waited in the customer service line to talk to a manager, who was just as useless as all the other workers. I ended up leaving empty handed and that was the first and last time I have ever attempted to purchase something from walmart.

If you want even the slightest bit of say in what you're being paid, you must offer something of worth to the employer. Unskilled people with poor training and no qualifications aren't really in a position to demand.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by foodstamp

I don't think your felony has any bearing on you intellect or your abilities, but nor does a GED or a collage degree.

Kids turning out of high school are dumber than rocks, and a percent of those kids end up getting a college degree some how, still dumb as a rock.

Another thing people just can't get their mind around is that Walmart relay suck as an employer. they may pay you 11 an hr but what good is 4 hours of work a day at 11 an hr? They shift your schedule every which way they possibly can to rule out you going to school or having any kind of a life.

There is even a fair amount of Walmart employees that are on Welfare because they make so little at Walmart they still qualify for food stamps and other government aid. I mean if that does not tell you those poor sorry beasts of burden should have grown some balls and walked out of that sweat shop on Black Friday I don't know what cruelty you need to see!

Your whole thread is a bit ridiculous, no different than if some one made a thread called "Why do Felons Make 8 Bucks an Hour When Prison Inmates Only Make 25 Cents!?!?!".......and that's another thing doesn't any one think that 25 cents an hour because your in prison is a little screwed up? There used to be a time in a man's mind when we called things like that for what they were.....slavery.

Jesus Christopher Walken, for crying out loud! Wake the hell up people!

The Rat.
edit on 24-11-2012 by TucoTheRat because: doggy

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I can't believe some of the comments in this thread. Walmart workers should be happy making what they get? 11 dollars an hour is fine? Walmart could and should pay their workers more. They make billions off the American people, buy from china, and put a strain on small businesses. All while offering no health benefits and encouraging employees to apply for public assistance. Not to mention they take out dead peasant insurance on employees. They don't give what they take and some of you are defending them...its crazy. Btw Walmart workers in my area make 9.50 which is below the cost of living

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I can't believe some of the comments in this thread. Walmart workers should be happy making what they get? 11 dollars an hour is fine? Walmart could and should pay their workers more. They make billions off the American people, buy from china, and put a strain on small businesses. All while offering no health benefits and encouraging employees to apply for public assistance. Not to mention they take out dead peasant insurance on employees. They don't give what they take and some of you are defending them...its crazy. Btw Walmart workers in my area make 9.50 which is below the cost of living

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Wal-Mart is a strong proponent of a national healthcare program and yes many of their employs qualify for subsidized housing and food stamps... All employs a 10% discount on purchases on all but food items and 15% discount on stock purchases... A person can do quite well on the $12.70 per hour they make after being on the payroll for 17 + years if they have the ability to avoid having children, eating out, driving new cars and wearing stylish clothing.... They can also put 20+ % of their pay into stocks, have a nice nest egg set back for retirement, make car payments, take vacations and own the place they call home but only if they use good sense and manage their money and don't get sick.... What I see that is wrong is how tax dollars are being used to subsidize the under paid employs... A great deal of them would still be having financial problems even if they were being paid a decent wage because that is the way they have always lived and have accepted as being normal..

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Trustfund

Really?

How many people are lined up for retail jobs? The jobs AND the employs to man them are a dime a dozen. It's cheap labor for a reason.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Walmart sucks, Inferior products at cheap prices. All of which will need to be replaced a lot sooner than would be necessary if you purchased a higher quality alterative.

It saddens me deeply to see people shopping at these rip-off super-stores.

The quality of merchandise that people will settle for just to pretend they saved money doesn't make sense to me.

I always shop local when I can, and I will pay more to get a better quality product. I wish more people would do the same.

~Rev

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

My other half worked at Wal-Mart. She worked harder than most of her coworkers, and after three years was still making under $9/hr (after three raises). The only thing she got was to be made full time, which they almost never do anymore. The working conditions there were horrible, and the managers used every intimidation tactic they could think of, and weren't the brightest bulbs in the box.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I've known a lot of people that have worked at Wal Mart, and the only person that I knew that made $11/hr was a department manager. All of the others were lucky for $8.50-9/hr, and that was when they had been there a while.

One of the guys I know right now that works at one was saying that the protesting was stupid because their contract basically dictates that they'll be fired before its all over with. He went on to say that he makes $8.50/hr, way less than what he needs, but he wasn't going to go and protest about it. I wanted to say that I make $7.25/hr (working for the city), so I'll gladly trade him if he wants, but I kept my mouth shut.

From what I've seen and heard, the wages aren't really the problem. Its the lack of benefits, ability to unionize, and the capped hours that is the biggest problem. What makes it even worse is that Wal Mart could afford to double their employee's pay plus add other things and they'd still have insane profits. Its not a glamorous place to work at, and most of the people there aren't exactly shinning examples of society, but that doesn't mean that they should be treated as lesser people and receive no respect in the workplace.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

How many people are lined up for retail jobs? The jobs AND the employs to man them are a dime a dozen. It's cheap labor for a reason.

And? The quantity of people lined up for a job does not determine the value of the job to the employer. Retail workers make walmart the majority of their money.

You also ignored this part of my post;

The whole point is that walmart can more than afford to pay their workers, they choose not to. This hurts the US economy so much. You're basically complying with the destruction of the country for the sake of some corporate entity....which is weird. I choose people over walmart.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

People with Liberal Arts degrees. They can't all be baristas.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Trustfund

People shop at walmart because its cheap and available. It has little to do with employees. Retail jobs have a problem with turnover. Turnover is expensive.

Should high performance employees be rewarded? Yes. Should retail workers be paid beyond what their worth to satisfy someone`s idea of a fair wage instead of a marketable wage? No. You pay what the market calls for.
edit on 24-11-2012 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Don't get me started about management that has no common sense.

I've worked in retail off and on for many years. I'm from the old school line of retail workers who truly believe that the customer is always right and even if they are not, they still are right. My present employer is the owner of a local grocery store. He understands the value of his employees and rewards our good efforts. He recently gave me a 35 cent raise after only four months of working there. Try getting that from any corporation regardless of how hard you work. I've been working to make myself indispensable at my job, using all my retail knowledge and customer service skills to give my boss a reason to keep me and pay me well.

I worked for a convenience store chain prior to leaving for this job. I had worked there for minimum wage for almost a year. Having so much retail experience, it just burned me up how the college-educated upper management would make stupid decisions with absolutely no knowledge of work out in the field. They would come up with these grandiose plans that worked on paper, but didn't have a prayer of working in the playing field. "You are too blah, blah, blah. This is MANDATORY!" Trouble was, they had no idea how store 8765 worked on a day to day basis. A store in a small town has different demands than a city store along with a different type of customer. To run optimally, each store needs to be handled by it's individual demands. I thought that was why we had a district manager to help with the logistics of the stores in their district. The stores they know and understand. Apparently not. The suits always knew better. It's frustrating.

To anyone who believes that a store worker doesn't have to work hard, you are incorrect. It is much more difficult than you realize. I go home sore every day from standing on hard floors, bagging groceries, and doing other necessary jobs that a lot of store visitors don't even realize happen. Someone wipes down those shelves, stocks them, cleans those carts, returns misplaced items to the proper shelves, etc. Listening to the wants and whines of hundreds of people a day is stressful. Fortunately, for every bad customer, you have two or three good ones, but even just talking cheerfully to hundreds of people a day is tiring. I say the same things so many times I get tired of myself.

Still, I love it! I like to help people find what they need and if they are nasty to me, I kill 'em with kindness. It's really the best revenge. I believe that even if your job pays poorly, you should still give it your very best. However, that does not mean that businesses should take advantage of employees. They deserve to be able to support their families. They are providing their employers a service as well and should be fairly compensated for the service they provide.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trustfund

Retail workers make walmart the majority of their money.

Not true at all. No one "makes a sale" at walmart. No one goes to walmart for the superiorly informative sleeping bag salesmen or to be swooned into upgrading to a more streamlined baby stroller. People go to a walmart because it's close by and there are no better options. The fact walmart is stocked with products at the nationwide lowest price makes them the majority of their money. That and they are a big fat bloodsucker that has swallowed up all the other little coexisting stand alone shops, which has happened because thats how our country has been structured to operate. Capitalism is only cool when you're the big supplier of something important when there's something special going on. Now it is just sort of an unfair drag that we can't do too much about. Shake it all up and even it all out unless you're afraid and need a 99 yard head start on a 100 yard race I say.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
walmart has it's own civilization, the people who frequent the store is why the employees deserve more cash. if any one of us had to deal with these people i fear we'd all put the chrome to the dome. www.peopleofwalmart.com...

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

Originally posted by foodstamp

Originally posted by schuyler

Originally posted by foodstamp

What I don't understand is why an un educated sales associate is having ANY problem with 11 an hour when I'm making only 8/hr With a college degree cause of a felony from '99.

Most Wal-Mart employees don't have felonies. Your felony conviction is one of the reasons you are making low pay. It was your decision. Comparing your low wages with those of Wal-Mart employees is probably not a valid correlation.

First off, it wasn't a "decision" anymore than it was a Wal mart employess decision NOT to pursue school. My felony has no bearing on my education or abilities. Whereas a high school drop out who runs a cash register SHOULDN'T be expecting more than 8/hr let alone 11/hr.

And Wal mart does hire felon's slick...

Doesn't matter. It still reflects on your character and is the reason a lot of companies won't hire you. If you're so smart and have such great education and abilities, why did you commit a felony? And if you're so smart, how could you possibly have gotten caught? They don't want to take the chance on you. Your education and abilities are trumped by your felony conviction. That was your choice and something you have to take responsibility for. Plus, if Wal-Mart DOES hire felons, and their employees make more than you do, then your next step is obvious, slick. Hey, maybe you got set up and are innocent. All felons are, I hear. I dunno myself, but the reason for your predicament is obvious.

If you must know, It was from a high school fight when I was 17. I'm 31 now. Anyways, that doesn't matter. This thread was just a social experiment anyway.

I don't make 8 an hour. Heh.. I'm merely measuring response. Look at how viscious people are! Look at it! It's awful. Go to page 1. Pretend your me, and watch all the assumptions people make about me over two posts. It's hilarious. And it just made me win a 40 dollar bet.
edit on 11/25/1212 by foodstamp because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Okay, so everyone gets a college degree. Now who will take these jobs?

exactly! you put that together so well. ^^Truth

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Anyone who works full time deserves a living wage, that is a wage where they can house, clothe, eat etc and have a decent standard of living.
It makes sense paying people a decent wage they will be sick less be more productive in their job and be more happy, makes sense really.

Oh and anyone who disagrees and are elitist should listen to Mr T Durden..

Wrong. Just because you have a job doesn't mean you're entitled to those things. I don't know about you but any job I've ever had I knew what I was getting into. # these walmart workers. They're a dime a dozen.Like the OP said they're mostly high school/ged people.And he was being generous with that assesment. You live in the UK which is totally different then the US. Sorry but here if you want to advance you need to show some work ethic and atleast have some education.All BS aside though,a job is a job.And those bastards should be happy they have one.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join