It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday Preppers....UK style.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Well, according to the news that (snow) shouldn't be a problem, apparently we are in for the nastiest winter in 100 years, make sure you pack a pair of mommas tights to keep you warm (seriously, that does actually work, a pair of tights under your combats makes the world of difference.)

CX

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
and as long as I have enough Pot Noodles to see me through the winter I am sorted.

Good idea.....plus....if you get the Bombay Bad Boy, it doubles as a pot of Napalm should you need an extra weapon.

Yeah to be honest, Armageddon is not something i think about in the UK, more realistic ones here are social unrest, natural disasters (floods) and maybe the odd power cut. The cold spells where ice and snow seems to always cripple Britain is always a good one to prep for, just in case you get cut off from shops/help.

As for running out of coffee, if it came to that, i think i'd save my last crossbow bolt for myself.
I know for a fact my missus wouldn't survive without it.....she almost goes on a killing spree if she just runs out of the jars contents, let alone a nationwide shortage!

CX.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

I know about tights
my first job was a fishmonger and it was an open air one in Stockport and in the winter it was sooo cold working there so I wore tights, long johns, tracky bottoms then jeans.
Good thing about that job I learnt how to stop feeling cold by an old fishmonger breathing technique and now I can stand the cold more than most.

Also an old gardener gave me a coat like this...Oh and this coat must have 3 sheeps worth of sheepskin in it.

www.ebay.co.uk... c1c9108f

Best coat I have ever had and it only cost me a pint

edit on 26-11-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   

make sure you pack a pair of mommas tights to keep you warm (seriously, that does actually work, a pair of tights under your combats makes the world of difference.)

Lol......only last night i was telling my kids this and they found it very hard to believe that i did this in S. Armagh at times.

Just glad i wasn't shot and had to explain it to the medics in hospital. Maybe i could have got away with the tights, not so sure about the eye liner though.

CX.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I have given various scenarios some thought, and always had a positive outcome.

Say a meteor hit the Atlantic, and generated a tsunami, or even an earthquake/landslide generated one.....it has to hit Ireland first, then the Isle of man gives that little extra shield....surely the North of England at least might survive that? Yes? No?

Europe protects us from the other side, and the odds of anything hitting in between are remote.

There are no active volcanoes or major fault lines in the neighbourhood.

Anything sun related and you would be knackered pretty much anywhere, so that doesn't count.

We have been dealing with council estate chav likes for decades so zombies wouldn't pose too much of a threat (no, I do not believe that zombies are even remotely real/possible).

I would say the biggest threat to the UK would be nuclear, whether a bomb or someone forgets to close some obscure tap at Sellafield (which I live pretty much right next to dammit), and even then, is there really any strategic targets in the UK to be nuked?

All in all, I reckon come armageddon, the UK might just be one of the safest places to be....or is that just wishful thinking?

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   

But.....I have a broadsword, a crossbow
reply to post by woogleuk

And I am really Uhtred of Bebbanburg and am in need of warriors in order to take back Bebbanburg (Bamburgh) Castle from my evil uncle who usurped it from my father... I am a good lord, a gold giver, thus there is much plunder to be had.. And women... Who is with me??

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

Go on then I used to be a geek roleplayer (still am if I found a group) and I will give you my machette and my pistol crossbow

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by EvanB

Go on then I used to be a geek roleplayer (still am if I found a group) and I will give you my machette and my pistol crossbow

Uhtred is a Bernard Cornwall creation about the days of Alfred the Great and the creation of England.. An excellent series of books.. Gory reading.. Though the books would indicate that he would make a formidable role playing character and I have already bagsied him so there!

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

I am with you my liege, just so long as the fair maiden isn't stumason in a frock.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   

reply to post by EvanB

I am with you my liege, just so long as the fair maiden isn't stumason in a frock.

Welcome!.... You may NOT have Stu Mason in a frock! That is MY bitch!.. But of course you may have all the maidens you can eat..

CX

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
And you have my axe
Why am i getting visions of Moss from the IT Crowd acting as the games master?

Cheers for that.....i was just eating my lunch.

No offence Stu.

CX.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
The Uk preppies do it right with casts of Ale and Stout and top notch brandy and fine cuban stoggies! Actually thats's how I should prep, prep to go down with the ship with some stoggies!

edit on 26-11-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I think the important thing to remember is that you can't tar every prepper with the same brush as those on the shows.....if we were all like them i'd have a few concerns.

At least they are doing something though, whether it's right or wrong in anyones books, they at least think about looking after their loved ones. What normal person wouldn't do that?

I do wonder who they will show though, IMO though, getting your time on telly never goes well for a prepper though.

CX.

CX

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Just a reminder that the programme is on tonight at 9pm, National Geographic channel.

CX.

CX

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Well i don't think that was too bad all things considered.

Ok none were probably as large scale as some we have seen in the US editions, but i think these UK preppers were doing as much as they could with what they had.

I'm not going to pick holes in them, they seemed pretty level headed and certainly had a few things that i will take note of.

I liked the guy in Slovakia, bringing his whole family up that way and going into a lot more detail as far as rearing food and teaching the family all of his skills, will definitely stand him in good stead hopefully.

It must be tough for those confined to tower block flats to prep, but even a few boxes could see you through a few days of hardship.

Take the London riots this year. A few days of total chaos with shops being looted and people running amok. Just a couple of weeks of food and water preps would have you seen you through no shop deliveries. Your mental state after a even a couple of days of no food and water will be shot away for some people, that can lead to seriously low moral and can lead you to do some pretty stupid things.

A few basic preps could avoid that.

So i'll give the show a thumbs up.
Yes i'm sure a few will laugh at it, however we'd all have areas of our preps that could be picked apart if they had the chance.

Anyone else watch it?

CX.

edit on 28/11/12 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Had to reply for the sake that you have some experience of Stockport, which is where I'm from..

Interested in the Fishmonger breathing technique - could you explain more? I know that my own experience of hard times as a teenager left me well capable of sleeping a good four-six hours in -6 without anything but a normal coat and a few cardboard boxes; it's amazing the way your body instructs you in survival when you absolutely have to survive..!! I distinctly remember tensing/relaxing muscles for long periods of time, forced exhalations in a near-hyperventilating style, and finding ways to make my legs 'judder' automatically by positioning them in certain ways.. Hats are very important, naturally.

edit on 10-2-2013 by FlyInTheOintment because: spelling

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   
God, I hope they're not Welsh or from a Nice apartment in London lmao

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join