It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday Preppers....UK style.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by DPrice
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

We don't have hurricanes in the UK

and we do, so telling me prepping is nonsense is an uneducated stance
lets hope you dont get a real cold winter that knocks out your power for a long time..
edit on 25-11-2012 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

The producers of American Preppers deliberately chose people that others would consider to be "extremists", "nutters", "mentally unstable". Very few were actually people with good plans and equipment to deal with a shtf scenario. Who could forget the 300+lb guy armed to the teeth who couldn't run 50 yards if his life depended on it?

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they come after you.
Only one step left I suppose.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Yeah and less guns means we have less gun related deaths, who knew? Survival eh? Surviving what exactly please do tell.

Social unrest.
War.
Revolution.
Disease outbreak.
Fire (especially in urban areas)

All of these things have happened in England before, you know. This is not some fantasy. I think you need to go and read up on some history of the UK and consider that history never stops, you're living it. Some people always seem to think that things that happened before couldn't possibly happen now, and yet these things do happen, every day.

Do you ever see news reports where a "local resident" always says "you just wouldn't expect something like that!"

These are people who don't understand history, or probability, or the random nature of events and how things can be connected.

Preparing is not about the Zombie apocalypse, a meteor strike or an alien invasion. There are both national and regional events that will affect you that you should be prepared for. If you need any proof of that, turn on you TV right now and check out how much of the UK is currently flooded.

It might be just a couple of feet of water in some places, but tell me how you would do in that situation with no shops open, no power to your home, potential looters, emergency services stretched to the limit...
edit on 25-11-2012 by detachedindividual because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

The producers of American Preppers deliberately chose people that others would consider to be "extremists", "nutters", "mentally unstable". Very few were actually people with good plans and equipment to deal with a shtf scenario. Who could forget the 300+lb guy armed to the teeth who couldn't run 50 yards if his life depended on it?

or the recent 300 lb guy whom is sure the russians will invade that lives in his bunker underground..
that guys ticker will kill him first

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy

or the recent 300 lb guy whom is sure the russians will invade that lives in his bunker underground..
that guys ticker will kill him first

Indeed, but this is about probability. We can all sit here and say that the likelihood of Russia invading the US is ridiculously slim, but tell me how well he would do if there was another "super storm" (which some are predicting is increasingly likely with each passing year, and increasing in power and destruction too) or how he would do in a global disease outbreak (something even the World Health Organization admits is likely and takes very seriously).

He might be a little strange for preparing for an extremely unlikely scenario, but his scenario will also help him to survive a more likely event too. I would still rather be on his side, than be hanging out with someone who thinks nothing bad is ever going to happen, ignoring all the warning signs and living in a delusional state believing the government will come and rescue them.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

one can only hope those watching the shows use the prepping episodes with common sense
There are some good ones for sure..

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Well I live in outer London, on a hill so I'm not going to get flooded.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

I saw the trailer for this and had to laugh...

"If the electricity went off in the UK, most people would be dead within a week"

The guy is a fruitcake!

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Well I live in outer London, on a hill so I'm not going to get flooded.

There' one thing you needn't concern yourself about but only 1 and there's plenty of other things that could make life hard or impossible for you:

Coronal mass ejections/EMP - what if you lost power for weeks on end?
Blizzard - UK snows have gotten worse of late. what if you have several feet of snow and nobody can move?

The UK imports most of both it's food and fuel.
Interruptions to the supply line can have devastating effects regardless of where you live.
It's happened before and can again but ultimately it is you that must live with the consequences of your decisions.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by citizenx1
reply to post by CX

"If the electricity went off in the UK, most people would be dead within a week"

The guy is a fruitcake!

He maybe that..
But you just stated a scenario.. so.. what would YOU do in that event? Die.. or at least do something to prepare for such an event.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy

reply to post by CX

The guy is a fruitcake!

He maybe that..
But you just stated a scenario.. so.. what would YOU do in that event? Die.. or at least do something to prepare for such an event.

Its an interesting proposition. A little about my circumstances:

I live in a small seaside town and have central (electric) heating and a coal fire.

We tend to keep a reasonable stock of coal as we prefer the fire, especially at this time of year, to the central heating system.

So for heating, we're ok for a few weeks as a minimum.

We also have a lot of fields and woods around here so finding wood to burn is not a major problem.

Food may be more of a problem. Our local supermarket is relatively small and frequently runs low on items but there is a thriving local produce "scene" so obtaining locally farmed produce would not be a major challenge, to begin with.

Given our proximity to the sea, nor would fishing for food be an issue or forraging within the woods.

All in all, whilst we've not really taken steps to prepare, we would have sufficient time to assess the situation and decide whether to stay or move about 100 miles up the country to a friends rural cottage which has an abundant supply of game, water and wood.

All in all, I'm happier being here in our situation than i ever would be in the centre of a major town or city.

CX

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

reply to post by CX

The guy is a fruitcake!

Yeah i agree that was a bit much, however i think that in winter, if the electric went off for a week, many would be very surprised at how many people would die.

Originally posted by theguygeeza

Oh & P.S CZ if you do know where my mother & father live you're welcome to take a pop at them both as un-armed they both know Judo and if at home my Ex Kings Own Royal Sgt Dad is armed to the teeth and enjoys pulling the trigger, he did it for a living at one point as did my Uncle, who now owns his own 'Security Firm' They're all licensed too so feel free to have a go.

At ease soldier
......i'm not literally going to come for your mum and dad......it was a trip down memory lane to the days when if someone said they knew your mum and dad, it was like the ultimate threat, the dread of being on the wrong end of your parents tongue when you got home was a frightening thing.

Good that they can look after themselves though.

Not sure i'd go shouting about having a .38 on a public forum though if you're in the UK, i'd say rule one of prepping is to stay out of trouble where you get your preps taken away....along with you too.

I'm British and I don't know anyone who thinks like this or takes people that do seriously. Seems to be a mainly American form of nonsense.

The UK gets most things that the US gets, just on a smaller scale most of the time. Just a power cut can be a major pain in the backside for more than a day, like it or not, if you have a spare lightbulbs or candles stashed in the cupboard for such occasions, you just joined the prepping society.
If not, then lets hope your neighbours are kind-hearted souls who will help you eh?

Last but not least is the old strength in numbers, neighbors and networking may be your best defense after all.

Eta: One last thing I'll mention is that I have walkie talkies - a set to communicate inside the house and another that a friend down the road shares with me. The ability to alert others is something often forgotten.
edit on 25-11-2012 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

Great advice as usual....you also (if you don't mind me presuming here), seem to have a good perspective on the UK way of things.....were you once from here or have relations here? A nice method of advice anyway.

Yes the strength in numbers thing was proven during the riots in London eventually, whole groups of residents were coming out to say, "Not in our street!". Proved quite effective.

Walkie talkies are a great addition to your preps, i got the kids used to them years ago messing about with them over the forest or whilst doing errands for me down the village. You just have to be aware that the indicated range doesn't actually mean it will go that far. Obstacles will reduce that greatly in some cases.

I bought a pair of 26 mile Midland ones, but in the forest area where i live, i can probably get 2-3 miles out of them. Any more advice on the technical side of that or recommended models would always be welcome.

Thanks again for all your replies, not everyones preps will suit us all, some will seem extreme, some will seem not enough, but i think as long as we show enough respect for each other and learn from everyone, even if it's just one thing, we can't go too wrong.

CX.
edit on 25/11/12 by CX because: spelling

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

I wish I knew more about walkie talkies, sadly enough even after taking a class I know precious little about electronics (that was 30+ years ago). You're correct about the range - that is something that should be tested before you actually need them. We should also remember that anything said on one can and probably will be picked up on scanners by authorities.

I have no English relations nor have I visited as much as I should like to, I've always had a love of all things English and spent a fair amount of time reading history. A compulsion for watching Monty Python, Marty Feldman and Benny Hill didn't hurt either. Much of what I think I might know may well be stereotypes of course; the inclination towards timeliness, proper manners, the coolness under stress, a love of tradition - that sort of thing.
I've also found the number of dialects in Britain fascinating; from the gentile English of Lords and Ladies to the cockney "ee 'asnt gawt enny of 'em roight now" accent with lost consonants and everything in between. I've never heard it said but it seems to me as if the Australian accent is very similar to the dialects spoken in working class England sprinkled with a smattering of Irish. I hope that comment doesn't offend anyone)

I should mention that I've always had a great respect for the people of England, your sense of fair play and courtesy are something that has always impressed me.

Cheers,

edit on 25-11-2012 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

CX

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

I've also found the number of dialects in Britain fascinating; from the gentile English of Lords and Ladies to the cockney "ee 'asnt gawt enny of 'em roight now" accent with lost consonants and everything in between.

If us mere mortals were able to give applause, i would do just for that example of cockney lol......i'm not sure i could have done that if i tried.

Anyway, i will be sure to put in a good word for you at the next New Years Honors list....i see an honorary Brit tea mug winging it's way to you.

CX.
edit on 25/11/12 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Sorry for taking your remark to heart so much, have had a bad day...well the weekend was awful as the missus went awol. I remember getting grassed up by my 'friends' for whatever it was, knock a door run, hedge jumping and the like. I was given a wee bit of a whack then had to march around the garden a few (maybe ten times from aged six upwards) laps then stand to attention until SgtDad was happy I'd not moved lol, I deserved it every time though.

Mr Mod thanks for the heads up about things...when I say in reach/to hand I'm real fast again now I'm 85% fit & well, things are never where people or my kids could find them and they are never loaded. I move things about quite a bit now as a few people were getting curious as to just why I was taking so many 5 litre bottles of water into my home. The only time I handle things of late is for maintenance, most people I know are too busy looking at the right hand to notice what we're doing with our lefts when we have the time.

Here, here with the CB's & mini walkie talkies, fair enough the minis range is short but it is enough to let my friend know I need to appear for a moment. The CB is for just in case it is a major SHTF scenario, the sun spitting a CME would probably fry them but we're setting to work on safe boxes for them after we've done all we need to do tomorrow.

Darn saying that, I've just looked at the clock and it's 02:37 over here, up early...daybreak (ish), I'm over for now.

Sorry once again for entering this thread with an attitude from a bad day.

Peace to all, hope everything stays as well as it can stay well and be lucky.

CX

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by theguygeeza

Not a problem at all, i've done it enough times. Takes a true gent to apologize, even when theres no need....so all is well my friend. Hope the week is better for you.

As for protecting your comms, i remember seeing on Doomsday Preppers recently where they tested their walkie talkies after a small EMP burst, they had simply placed the WT's in a bin of some kind, think it was a metal container, certainly nothing special or expensive. Fair enough the EMP was a home made job and small scale, but it worked.

If i find the episode i'll post the vid.

CX.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

I think it may have been a faraday cage.

en.wikipedia.org...

Been thinking of making a small one to keep my CB radio in.

Oh just re-read the wiki page and a microwave oven is one already, I hope my CB will fit in one

edit on 26-11-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Yeah it was, sorry, forgot to mention that.

Just been looking at some vids on the subject though and i'm not sure about the whole "insulated v uninsulated" thing or "earthed or unearthed"?

Maybe someone here will know more.

CX.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I'm not expecting to see Armageddon anytime soon (seriously, Deep Impact was a much better movie).

But.....I have a broadsword, a crossbow, an air rifle and lots of mountains / fells to roam that has various delicious looking wildlife.

Water is never an issue here in the Lake District (Cumbria), and as long as I have enough Pot Noodles to see me through the winter I am sorted.

My only real concern is running out of beer and/or coffee.

reply to post by Asktheanimals

Listen to some northern (and by northern, that would be north of Birmingham, not London, there be dragons up 'ere) dialects. There is a hell of a difference between south and north tongue.

Listen to this crazy old guy speak in my local craic.........(sorry, best example I could find, lol)

edit on 26/11/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Pot noodles and super noodles I must get more thanks for reminding me
Pennines are my bug out place, found a great spot last year and I go camping there every other month, If SHTF I reckon I would be ok for a couple of months at least.
Gonna go up there when it snows to test out my new tent

Cool vid, I understood it all but I'am a northerner
we are made of strong stuff up north

edit on 26-11-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join