It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Myth Debunked: Full Moon Does Not Increase Incidence of Psychological Problems

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I would happily invite these scientists to go work a shift at the residential school i used to work at during the full moon.

When the full moon and the kids behaviour was talked about, it was no joke.

CX.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I will have to call bunk as well here. Having studied the effects and causes of those around me, I have personally noticed an increase in behavior during certain moon cycles. Now if the Sun can affect your overall mood and positive well being, why would the Moon not have its own effects on the human body?
edit on 24-11-2012 by VeritasAequitas because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by VeritasAequitas
I will have to call bunk as well here. Having studied the effects and causes of those around me, I have personally noticed an increase in behavior during certain moon cycles. Now if the Sun can affect your overall mood and positive well being, why would the Moon not have its own effects on the human body?
edit on 24-11-2012 by VeritasAequitas because: (no reason given)

Yes, perfect example... the sun...

The primary circadian "clock" in mammals is located in the suprachiasmatic nucleus (or nuclei) (SCN), a pair of distinct groups of cells located in the hypothalamus. Destruction of the SCN results in the complete absence of a regular sleep–wake rhythm. The SCN receives information about illumination through the eyes. The retina of the eye contains "classical" photoreceptors ("rods" and "cones"), which are used for conventional vision. But the retina also contains specialized ganglion cells which are directly photosensitive, and project directly to the SCN where they help in the entrainment of this master circadian clock.

These cells contain the photopigment melanopsin and their signals follow a pathway called the retinohypothalamic tract, leading to the SCN. If cells from the SCN are removed and cultured, they maintain their own rhythm in the absence of external cues.

The SCN takes the information on the lengths of the day and night from the retina, interprets it, and passes it on to the pineal gland, a tiny structure shaped like a pine cone and located on the epithalamus. In response, the pineal secretes the hormone melatonin. Secretion of melatonin peaks at night and ebbs during the day and its presence provides information about night-length.

Several studies have indicated that pineal melatonin feeds back on SCN rhythmicity to modulate circadian patterns of activity and other processes. However, the nature and system-level significance of this feedback are unknown.

The circadian rhythms of humans can be entrained to slightly shorter and longer periods than the Earth's 24 hours. Researchers at Harvard have recently shown that human subjects can at least be entrained to a 23.5-hour cycle and a 24.65-hour cycle (the latter being the natural solar day-night cycle on the planet Mars)

en.wikipedia.org...

There are some awesome articles about circadian rhythm, protein regulation, and gene expression:
The following link will bring you in the right direction if you'd like to read more. There are also articles on sciencedaily.com, as well as some loose information located in the thread that is linked in my signature.

For articles in regards to circadian rhythm, protein regulation and gene expression.
scholar.google.com... A

Then, coming back to the moon... in regards to solunar(sun/moon) and animal behavior and a theory in regards to the location of the moon in relation to their bodies.

en.wikipedia.org...

Which, is very much a theory... and is "Apples and Oranges" when associating it with human psychology. Although, again... just 'theory' lol.

Anyways... apparently what people have concluded already based upon 'observation'(oh man, that dogma abandons people so fast) holds weight over 20 year studies and multiple papers that show that there is almost assuredly no connection between full moons and psychological problems.

It's the moons fault!!!

edit on 24-11-2012 by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS because: additional statement

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Ahhh man, I wish I would have found this article first:

This so-called 'theory' is wrong in a few ways.

First, the Moon-tides thing happens because the oceans are large, and made of a liquid. They would still happen if the liquid was freezing liquid hydrogen, room temperature mercury, or hot liquid iron. It doesn't have to be water.

Second, tides happen only over large expanses, not within the small dimensions of a human body.

Third, the ocean tides still happen if the Moon is full, new or half-full. The Moon still has a gravitational effect even if the Sun doesn't fully light it up for us.

A better theory to explain it all is selective recall. It's a busy night, and you look out the window to see that rare animal, the full Moon. You put two and two together to make five, and assume that the full Moon made your night busy.

This belief that the full Moon massively affects human behaviour is a cultural fossil. It's a memory of the effect that we would party on a full Moon, way back when we had no artificial light.

But in our modern society, it's just moonshine.

www.abc.net.au...

The article is an interesting read, I suggest checking it out.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Oh boy.....I can't believe I'm agreeing with boymonkey...
But, the full moon does bring out the loon!

The reason there is no up-tic in people reaching out to crisis centers and emergency rooms is because they are all going to chat sites on the internet and wreaking havoc.

One chat site I used to go to, we always knew when the full moon was because the loons showed up...in droves.

There is a reason the etymology connects crazy behavior with the moon. Thousands of years of observation beats a few flawed studies, hands down.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

This is interesting. I am not surprised to be honest. I will have to send this to my dear old mom who is a newborn nursery nurse of 30 years. She swears up and down that things are crazier on full moons....

Personally, I never put too much stock into it but I have wondered.

I am curious to see what she has to say to this.

Peace and love

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I used to work in an instutional home for mentally hanidcapped people as a nurse, and we definitely had more accident/incident reports around the time of the full moon.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join