It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why don't you believe? (@Non-Believers and Skeptics)

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Atheists i find highly close minded. As for others, the ones that are oblivious are great, I kinda envy them. , it's the ones that know but yet try and think they can disprove that I think are nuts. Like somehow being able to falsafy will somehow make there world safer and make more sense.

edit on 26-11-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
If it was not known to you,how can you believe in it?

Someone gave you the info to believe in.
Do you trust that source or person?

Critical thinking is your friend in the quest for knowledge.

If it is not known, how can you say it does not exist? Hence the entire point of the thread..

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by LoveisanArt

If it is not known, how can you say it does not exist? Hence the entire point of the thread..

No.

You don't believe in something due to lack of evidence. That's a real failure of critical thinking.

Follow the evidence.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I can say the same thing about people who CHOOSE TO BELIEVE in aliens and such. You chose to believe because you've been watching way too many YouTube videos online in which someone like David Icke is trying to convince others that it is reptilians from the 4th dimension who are in control of the world or someone like Jordan Maxwell who claims that secret societies have taken over the world and that you are nothing more than a slave or Alex Jones who everyday for hours on end screaming about how bad your president is and how United States has become the 4th reich.

No one has ever taught me about aliens and what color they must be until I begun reading abduction stories on various message boards such as this.

I think if you believe in anything that makes no sense people are going people are going to judge you accordingly and for a good reason. Our social interaction is build upon basic common sense. If something doesn't make sense we tend to judge it accordingly. Would you find it normal if someone was running naked around your neighborhood? I bet not!

Time travel is impossible, at least according to our current scientific understanding. And in fact it is science fiction movies and shows which promote such ideas as time travel so I don't see how your statement can possibly be true.

Originally posted by theabsolutetruth
I do believe.

I think that those that don't, choose not to, consciously or subconsciously because of various factors.

Those factors, firstly, because of conditioning. From birth they are taught that ''aliens'' are green / grey non human entities from other planets that travel in space ships, they are the fodder of 50's and more recent sci-fi, and if you believe in that then you must be ''crazy''.

Most people only believe in that they are taught from parents, school and media. Had they been taught that dinosaurs and DNA are such sci-fi fodder then they most likely wouldn't believe in those either.

Secondly, they have not seen anything that fits the standard sc-fi model of ''aliens'' and only believe that which they see or are told to believe. They do not comprehend that ''alien'' could be something other than such a sci-fi model, or having the ability to travel time or dimensions and assume human form in such a way that isn't immediately distinguishable from the average human. Or that earth and humans could be the product of ''aliens''.

Society has taught a limited view, a limited set of beliefs to it's populace, probably for the purpose of control, and has essentially dumbed down so many of humanities inherent faculties, such as intuition and telepathic communication, as well as natural healing, plant medicine, empathy, long term responsibility, connections to the natural environment, on earth and dimensionally, and the recognition of the effects of universal energies on humanity and earth's environment.

Essentially society has created a self centred, ego led humanity with little regard for the natural order of things. As such it is essentially doomed in it's current form. Castles made of sand. This is happening now with global economic and environmental collapse. Humanity should rethink it's leaders and know that somewhere along the line it was misled.

edit on 26-11-2012 by stanislav because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by LoveisanArt

Fifteen pages later and you still refuse to understand the answer you have asked for. Not one skeptic on this thread has said that "aliens do not exist." Some have even gone so far as to state that the existence of extraterrestrial life is a statistical certainty. Your entire thread is based on a misunderstanding of the difference between belief and knowledge. At this point, it is beginning to look like a willful misunderstanding.

Skepticism is an attitude, not a belief. It embraces methodologies like critical thinking, logic and the scientific method to arrive at knowledge. Belief is founded on an unquestioning acceptance of another's authority or simple wish fulfillment. It does not result in knowledge.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
Atheists i find highly close minded. As for others, the ones that are oblivious are great, I kinda envy them. , it's the ones that know but yet try and think they can disprove that I think are nuts. Like somehow being able to falsafy will somehow make there world safer and make more sense.

I used to be one of those smug hardline Atheists until one day I realised that there is absolutely no way I can be 100% sure that a God or Gods do NOT exist. In my arrogance I'd become just as much wrapped up in dogma and posturing as the Theists I used to argue with. These days I consider myself a skeptical Agnostic, and I like to think that the universe or existence itself is possible proof of God, or even God itself. Perhaps everything is God, perhaps nothing... but it's got to be something

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by mee30
reply to post by WiindWalker

Regardless of what he said. I am curious myself to know as to why you skeptics need to act this way?

Just like the OP you are giving me a loaded question... "why you skeptics need to act this way"... You are implying skeptics (people that do not just believe any old story they are told) are acting in an inappropriate manner. If you think that requiring proof/evidence is inappropriate then I don't think I can help you...

I can't believe anyone would need that explained to them...

On a side note I would just like to declare to all you believers that I am in fact a real life alien... I am going to give you all a once in a lifetime opportunity to speak to me on the phone! That's right, you won't hear my voice physically with your ears but instead I will ride through the radiowave on the back of a pink unicorn and converse direct with your MIND...

All that is required is that you deposit some of your earth "money" into an earthlings bank account (of my choice) so that I can fill up my starship with pomegranate juice and fly back home...

I can provide ALL of you every proof you require, however, as YOU people are not skeptics you will require no such proof and therefore just PM me and I will provide you with all the relevant information... I look forward to seeing the bank deposits roll in, thank you...

edit on 24-11-2012 by mee30 because: (no reason given)

To add,

all skeptics are individual people and will react in their own way, to generalize by asking "why you skeptics need to act this way" shows a very limited understanding of reality.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Oh I see how your logic works (more like lack thereof) ... So according to your logic if I was to say that I am an alien from an Andromeda constellation and since there is no way for you to know if what I claim is true or not then you must consider everything I claim to be with either true or possible since you have no way to know otherwise.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by theabsolutetruth

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

I do believe.

I think that those that don't, choose not to, consciously or subconsciously because of various factors.

You're simply wrong. Please go back and actually read the thread. There is a great difference between belief and knowledge. You are free to believe anything you want, but belief is a barrier to knowledge.

I do not need to read the entire thread at all. I replied to the OP. This is a valid opinion whether you like it or not. People choose whether or not to believe.

Do you not agree?

I disagree.
I you're confusing knowledge with belief.
I'm a believer, I believe because I know, I know because the evidence is there, that proves life is out there.
What cannot be proven is that UFOs are aliens, or that god created the world.
Anything like this, that cannot, even in the slightest be proven, people like you choose to believe. Belief spawned religion, but that is my opinion, not my belief because I don't claim to be right. Catch my drift?

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by C3r371c

I used to be one of those smug hardline Atheists until one day I realised that there is absolutely no way I can be 100% sure that a God or Gods do NOT exist. In my arrogance I'd become just as much wrapped up in dogma and posturing as the Theists I used to argue with. These days I consider myself a skeptical Agnostic, and I like to think that the universe or existence itself is possible proof of God, or even God itself. Perhaps everything is God, perhaps nothing... but it's got to be something

But it doesn't have to be "something" does it?

I have seen no proof or evidence at all for any sort of super natural anything... I refuse to engage in other people's fantasies, when they always fall back on "faith" - i.e. wilful self-delusion.

I'm an atheist and a sceptic, because it matches the evidence I have.

I have no desire to have "faith" in anything or project my own fear or ignorance onto anything.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Skepticism is an attitude, not a belief. It embraces methodologies like critical thinking, logic and the scientific method to arrive at knowledge. Belief is founded on an unquestioning acceptance of another's authority or simple wish fulfillment. It does not result in knowledge.

That!

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001

Fifteen pages later and you still refuse to understand the answer you have asked for. Not one skeptic on this thread has said that "aliens do not exist." Some have even gone so far as to state that the existence of extraterrestrial life is a statistical certainty. Your entire thread is based on a misunderstanding of the difference between belief and knowledge. At this point, it is beginning to look like a willful misunderstanding.

I agree, I think the op accidentally set himself up for a very important life lesson.
Why set up a thread like this if you're not going to take anything on board and consider the fact that the skeptics may be on to something?
Of course that question sums up the majority of this site quite nicely.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wongbeedman

Why set up a thread like this if you're not going to take anything on board and consider the fact that the skeptics may be on to something?

Faith is about actively denying rational thought. It's not a casual or reactionary thing, like ducking when someone throws a punch at you - in fact it's more like getting punched and then pretending it didn't happen.

It's, like I said earlier, wilful self-delusion.

"you can't prove my insane theory is untrue, therefore it's valid..."

Eh... no.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

There are more stars than grains of sand on all the beaches on Earth in this Galaxy.

Yeah there is more water in my lake than I will ever be able to accumulate in one million bathtubs. Does it mean that sharks are swimming in either one?

New Agers and such use ZERO LOGIC, ZERO COMMON SENSE. All they do is rehash over and over someone else's ideas. Some crazy nut like David Icke comes out with far fetched ideas and now they know the truth because he said so or because another kook on the internet has a website where he documents his insanity and passes it for truth.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by stanislav

There are more stars than grains of sand on all the beaches on Earth in this Galaxy.

Yeah there is more water in my lake than I will ever be able to accumulate in one million bathtubs. Does it mean that sharks are swimming in either one?

New Agers and such use ZERO LOGIC, ZERO COMMON SENSE. All they do is rehash over and over someone else's ideas. Some crazy nut like David Icke comes out with far fetched ideas and now they know the truth because he said so or because another kook on the internet has a website where he documents his insanity and passes it for truth.

Donald Rumsfeld famously claimed that the ABSENCE of evidence for a new top secret Russian sub was EVIDENCE of said (totally fictional) sub.

I wonder what his ATS username is.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
He must be paid government agent then. Apparently every time you deny ignorance people on GLP call you government shill. Now I wonder how often does this happen on ATS.

Originally posted by longlostbrother

Originally posted by stanislav

Donald Rumsfeld famously claimed that the ABSENCE of evidence for a new top secret Russian sub was EVIDENCE of said (totally fictional) sub.

I wonder what his ATS username is.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by C3r371c

But it doesn't have to be "something" does it?

I have seen no proof or evidence at all for any sort of super natural anything... I refuse to engage in other people's fantasies, when they always fall back on "faith" - i.e. wilful self-delusion.

I'm an atheist and a sceptic, because it matches the evidence I have.

I have no desire to have "faith" in anything or project my own fear or ignorance onto anything.

I largely agree with you.

Difference with me is though, is that I am open to new theories, evidence and experiences. There are some Atheists who, even if shown evidence, would still choose to disbelieve.

I shall refer to two brilliant Robert Anton Wilson quotes:

"Only the madman is absolutely sure."

and

"The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental."

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

It just came to me the moment I logged on actually XD

Im interested in experience. If anyone who hasnt experienced this; how can you say it does not exist?

This is called argumentum ad Ignorantiam fallacy, and this means you can't say that since I have no proof of them NOT existing then they must exist.

As a skeptic I'm not saying anything as to whether they exist or not. What I am saying though, is that since you clam they do exist then it is YOUR responsibility to prove it, not mine. We can sit around drinking scotch and smoking cigars all day and talk about the "what if", but that is not what your post is all about and I see that you feel this is a battle between those that believe and those that do not, and that is far from the case.

You should understand that the only difference between you and a skeptic is how much evidence is needed to believe, and in your case you need very little to none.

People are not sure how to full use their minds yet hence "we only use 10% of our brains".. but again, misleading - we only use %10 of our minds.

Actually this is a false belief....we use 100% of our brains. I doubt that our bodies would pump 25% of our energy into brain function, but only use 10% of it....does that make any sense?

We do have more "senses" (awareneesses) which are not physically-receptive in nature. This is what we call today as "psychic". This is when one's 'third eye' is awake and active. This allows the individual to perceive past the 5 senses (Mind).

Once again something that has never been quantifiable.

In the true experiment environment tests have always...ALWAYS failed. Can't say that is a good track record to suggest it exists.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

No.

You don't believe in something due to lack of evidence. That's a real failure of critical thinking.

Follow the evidence.

Your mind cannot be physically measured to provide evidence of what it experiences.. are you DUMB? Follow along and open your mind a bit.. you "non believers" might learn something.

I believe something based on first hand experiences, second hand experiences and listening to others who have shared the same kind of experiences.. we all have done our online reaearch about ETs and UFOS... its different when you LIVE the experience.

As real as you waking up in the morning and going to work. This is exactly how contactees experience what they do. OFC science hasnt been contacted so whatever is said to be contacted (ETs) cannot exist
hmm Im getting sick of that mentality.

ITs no wonder humanity is lost and confused battling eachother inside a BOX (soceity). You cant even think for yourselves, you will NEVER experience these such things, because YOU cant handle it.

YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH!

And the TRUTH is, ETS EXIST. Alright? Dont believe me, you dont have to.

Im in the middle of huge move right now, heading West to Alberta, so I wont have time to respond all week (Im in Ontario). Thank you for the honest replies by members here, for the others who arrogantly knock off the existence of higher life forms.. thanks for your input and 2 sense.

What I have learned from this thread (which was my intentions of the thread); when an individual has no reference to a giving subject, it automatically writes it off as fantasy or non existent until POW, proving otherwise

Its coming people, hole on to your horses. Humanity just needs to correct its headed course, and have the WILL to evolve; mentally, spiritually, emotionally, psychicly.. one day the potential of our minds will be met, and we too will be flying the cosmos.

Thanks again everyone for your input and piece of mind,

~ Love is an art

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

There is no doubt our minds have different capabilties;

I believe we all have the same potential

So which is it? Both quotes from your posts I believe are speaking of the mind so do we have the same potential? or are some capabilities limited in some and not others?

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join