It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Stamp Recipients Outnumber Populations of 24 States Combined

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Beezer, How much influence do you think Obama has where you live? Little if any I think. Why do you act like you're an American when you're clearly not.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Its only a small handful. The last election spoke to what the American people really want. Why is everyone forgetting we just had an election and the people have spoken ?

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
oh spare me the melodrama. in the 1960's the gov't still decided where trains and commercial air flights could go

and your party created the mess in the first place

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

really? who is taking from you and what have they taken and when did they take it ? You are ranting because you dont like who won the election.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I would say both, I think we are quite screwed indeed. At the end of the day it's people like us who can make the difference. It's just a matter of rational discussion and unity. People blow me off a lot or simply try to label me, but I don't align myself with either party, not truly. It's defeatist to think we can not make a difference, but it takes putting aside the differences artificially created by those who run this country and create something better. I think a return to Keynesian style capitalism with reasonable social programs is a good start.... With a wholly replaced congress, senate, and judiciary.

However nothing will happen while we as citizens point fingers at each other.

Our government should fear us should we rally together, not as democrat or republican but as people.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
No matter what, that many people on food stamps is a horrible and frightening statistic. More moderation in the world please.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61560
Beezer, ... Why do you act like you're an American when you're clearly not.

That was nasty and totally untrue.

The last election spoke to what the American people really want. Why is everyone forgetting we just had an election and the people have spoken ?

So you think the people of the USA really WANT food stamp recipients to outnumber the populations of 24 states combined? You think they all think this is okay?? That the government has nothing to do with the problem at all? That's a pretty big slam against the mentality of Americans ...

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
oh spare me the melodrama. in the 1960's the gov't still decided where trains and commercial air flights could go and your party created the mess in the first place

1 - It's not 'melodrama' to state the fact that food stamp recipients outnumber populatons of 24 states combined. That's a HUGE number of people who are depending on the federal government for basic needs.

2 - 'My party' created the mess in the first place? And exactly what party is mine? Do you know? Do I even have one? What an absurd thing to say. Both the democrats and republicans created the mess we are in right now. And I am not a (D) or an (R).

:shk:

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

who is taking from you and what have they taken and when did they take it ?

Oh come on. :shk: The government is taking our tax money to support a very large population within the USA who cant' take care of themselves BECAUSE OF GOVERNMENT MISMANAGEMENT. Don't play dumb.

You are ranting because you dont like who won the election.

1 - Discussing the FACT that food stamp recipients outnumber populations of 24 states combined isn't 'ranting' .. its called having an adult discussion. Give it a try.

2 - You are ignoring the facts and trying to sugar coat them because you worship at the altar of the BIG O.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Reply to post by FlyersFan

Or get the government to spend smarter.
Or make it once again government 'by the people and for the people'.
Or expose those who are incompetent or power grabbing in the government.
Or all of the above.

Haha if any of that happened in my lifetime id cry. unless done by force its all just wishful thinking, a dream. We would have better luck finding another undiscovered country and trying this 'America' thing over again.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Osiris1953
It's just a matter of rational discussion and unity..

Which, as you can see by some of the responses on this thread (this page in particular), people are too busy defending their buddy Obama, or too busy getting all uptight thinking that people are trashing food stamp recipients, to actually bother having an adult discussion about the government (both democrats and republicans) screwing up and causing this.

Originally posted by Osiris1953
No matter what, that many people on food stamps is a horrible and frightening statistic.

Exactly. It shows that there is a huge problem somewhere in government.

AS I SAID EARLIER .. both the democrats and republicans got us to this point. To have food stamp recipients outnumber the populations of 24 states combined .. that shows MASSIVE government policy failure to bring us to this level.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
The population of the U.S. is 300 Million. Of that 47 Million are using foodstamps. That would be 15% of the entire population. Can that be right? Seems outrageously high too me. I realize its gone up 65% since Obama is in office, but I cant imagine that every sixth person you meet has difficulty getting food. I travel across the states a lot and am not seeing that.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

Beezer, How much influence do you think Obama has where you live? Little if any I think. Why do you act like you're an American when you're clearly not.

Does it matter where I live or where I'm from?

Facts are facts, regardless of who discusses them.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
yet they are using American property on American soil using an American internet connection to complain about the American government which supports their American right to freedom of speech just so it can hear them complain about how unfair America is.

Dead wrong. We are using privately owned property and internet connections to expose a serious problem in the American government. And no .. the government isn't too happy about freedom of speech these days.

Here's an idea: move to another country. If you don't like it here, leave.

Here's an idea: (in the spirit of the holiday I self edited out my comment.)

edit on 11/24/2012 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

But the real issue is that we need to create high paying jobs before we will ever be able to remove these people from the welfare roles. At the current time we seem to be moving in the opposite direction so we will likely continue to grow the number of people on food stamps. meanwhile owners of corporations have never done better. Is the problem with the people getting food stamps or is it on those who earn oversized profits while continuing to lower their employment costs? in other words, if we want things to change, we need to change who's hand the majority of profits end up in. You can scream and moan how unfair that is, but the reality is that without it, there will be less and less good jobs and more and more people on welfare.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trustfund
reply to post by sonnny1

Un-earned income makes it sound like these people were jobless bums on foodstamps. The large portion of un-earned income was SS, which means retired old people and SSI, disabled people. And then children.

That’s partly because most household heads who were receiving food stamps were also out of work. Just 21.8% of them had jobs in 2010, while 19.8% were jobless and looking for work. More than half of household heads who received food stamps, 51.1%, weren’t in the labor force and weren’t searching for work. Labor-force dropouts have been a particular concern for economists, who worry their lost potential damages economic output. Those who drop out of the work force often turn to other government programs, such as Social Security disability, which is costly.

On average, food stamp households brought home $731 per month in gross income. Their food assistance averaged $287 a month.

Among the other interesting factoids:
Food stamps may be emerging as a lifeline for families after their unemployment insurance expired.

Just 6.7% of households who received food stamps were getting jobless benefits. –

Nearly half of all food-stamp recipients,

47%, were children under the age of 18. Another 8% of recipients were age 60 or older. –
Whites made up the largest share of food stamp households, 35.7%. Some 22% of households receiving food stamps were counted as African American and 10% were Hispanic.

–U.S. born citizens made up the majority, 94%, of food stamp households.

Most Food Stamp Recipients Have No Earned Income

I have a Job, and qualify for benefits. Should I go "get mine" because its the "American Norm" to do so?

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

reply to post by beezzer

Does it matter where I live or where I'm from?

Facts are facts, regardless of who discusses them.

Exactly. I've even put in my $0.04, because when America sneezes, the whole continent gets sick.
I'm not American, never want to be either.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

1 - It's not 'melodrama' to state the fact that food stamp recipients outnumber populatons of 24 states combined. That's a HUGE number of people who are depending on the federal government for basic needs.

:shk:

Sure it is, when you could have said the number of food stamp recipients is roughly equivalent to the population of 2 states (CA and OH), but 24 states sounds way worse and more melodramatic.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
The population of the U.S. is 300 Million. Of that 47 Million are using foodstamps. That would be 15% of the entire population. Can that be right? Seems outrageously high too me. I realize its gone up 65% since Obama is in office, but I cant imagine that every sixth person you meet has difficulty getting food. I travel across the states a lot and am not seeing that.

Maybe we can make them wear an "I'm on foodstamps" badge so you can verify government data with your anecdotal experience.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
You know, if the Obama admin just took all our money and gave us ALL foodstamp cards, and domicile cards, and alcohol cards, and cigarette cards, and automobile cards, then the government could just track and determine how we all should live.

They could certainly set a minimum standard of living for those who are willing and able to work, food stamps are a step towards that. You do realize that food stamps subsidize the wages for millions of people who work at Wal Mart, grocery store chains, fast food joints and other large retail outfits. It is not the employees of these establishments that are at fault, it is the employers who are at fault. It doesn't matter how much money they have or make, it is never enough, they need to make even more the next year. It is very monopolistic in nature. Their greed will end up destroying the system and likely will destroy them in the process although they want a world where their behavior is not questioned. Until people start looking at why we have so many people on welfare, rather then blaming a President who can never get anything passed to start with, we will only fall further in the hole.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Why do you keep quoting that article who couldn't even quote their source right?

That’s partly because most household heads who were receiving food stamps were also out of work.

This isn't true, straight from their source 40% are on SS are retired or disabled, 40% of households had jobs, 20% had no income.

www.fns.usda.gov...

Many SNAP participants had jobs. Nearly 30
percent of SNAP households had earnings in 2010,
and 41 percent of all SNAP participants lived in a
household with earnings. For most of these
households, earnings were the primary source of
income.

SNAP households had little income. Only 15
percent had income above the poverty line, while
more than 43 percent had incomes at, or below,
half the poverty line. Nearly 20 percent had no
cash income of any kind.

The majority of SNAP households did not
receive cash welfare benefits. Only 8 percent of
all SNAP households received Temporary
Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) benefits
and another 4 percent received State General
Assistance (GA) benefits. Over 21 percent of
SNAP households received Social Security and
nearly 21 percent received Supplemental Security
Income (SSI) benefits given to the aged and
disabled.

The majority of people (82%) on foodstamps are the working poor, SS retired, and SSI disabled.
edit on 24-11-2012 by Trustfund because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join