It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Stamp Recipients Outnumber Populations of 24 States Combined

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
The systemic problems of global capitalism and unrestricted population growth, the massive size of the boomer generation compared to later generations, the collapse of tens of millions of high paying jobs into millions of low paying service sector jobs, and the economic policies of the federal reserve all contributed to this mess.

Fifty million starving people will completely destroy the country as we know it. They have to be fed. There is no third option. There are 500,000 cops and 1 million or so soldiers. Even if they were inclined to shoot their neighbors and bury them in mass graves, the task would be insurmountable and take decades. In the meantime -- the hungry would make Iraq and Afghanistan look like a walk in the park. They are streetsmart, crafty, and at least as well armed as any Syrian refugee.

What you are witnessing is the beginning of the collapse of a completely unsustainable model. We can't continue to pick fewer winners from greater pools of losers and expect the economy to function from the ground up.

The good news is that it is all consensus reality. We can change the rules of the system at any time. We just have to decide to "write down" 400% of PERSONAL debt, and reform the monetary system into something that resembles sanity. Nobody has to lose or gain anything (though that is why we fight -- because the current winners want to control who wins more from a write-down), it just has to get done.

All of the Thomas Paine wannabe's in the world won't change reality. Feed the world, or fight them -- FOREVER.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Paschar0

It's worse that I ever suspected. In southern Texas, I stood in line at HEB, the state's largest supermarket chain (and a good one at that, nothing low end) and just watched the people in line. Out of 8 people paying for food, only 2 DIDN'T use food stamps.

How many of those people looked back at you in envy, wishing they didn't have to work three jobs to support their ailing mother and two kids because their father skipped out two months earlier and they are the sole bread-earner in a defunct family?

Don't judge someone you don't know just because they got a lotto ticket. I think half the problem here is that people desperately want to blame someone because it feels like they're getting somewhere if they know who to point their finger at. Stupid humans.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

The Left have no problem sitting on their hands, and not fixing this problem. Blame? That's the real game plan.

Those Rich people............

S&F

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
With 47 million people either under employed, or unemployed, where does the money for this come from?
There's no tax base coming in from those people, so money is just printed, and added to debt?

Plus the interest on the debt (huge), as well as all the other government spending and obligations.....
Military, infrastructure, still sending money to other countries...

Truly frightening.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
well that would certainly put an end to the overpopulation problem wouldnt it..
End food stamps, welfare,

Right - we should just round them up into concentration camps and let them starve to death. Better yet, let's gas them, it will be quicker - but it will cost some money. [/sarcasm]

Here are some other facts about food stamps.

But here are a few facts to keep in mind. According to the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office, the food stamp program's growth "has been driven primarily by the weak economy." About 65 percent of the increased spending was the result of people simply getting poorer. Another 20 percent was due to the stimulus act, which boosted the maximum benefit at a time when the recession was absolutely grinding up vulnerable families. As the CBO notes, there have been no -- I repeat no -- significant legislative changes to who is eligible since Obama took office.

Meanwhile, the average household receiving food stamps has an average income of $731 dollars, including other welfare payments. Around 85 percent of recipients are below the poverty line, which amounts to a measly $18,500 a year for a family of three. The vast majority are elderly, disabled, or have children. Among single, young, and healthy recipients, the average income is $268 a month.

Meanwhile, we're not even handing out benefits to everyone we could be. By 2009, only 72 percent of those eligible were enrolled. Despite an investigation by Scripps Howard that uncovered some scattered instances of fraud, the U.S. Department of Agriculture believes abuse of the program is at an all-time low. Ninety-eight percent of food stamp payments went to houses which should have been eligible, and overpayment rates are miniscule.

www.theatlantic.com...
edit on 24-11-2012 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
A lot of hardworking Americans have lost their jobs, and HAVE to resort to these type of programs. A lot of hardworking Americans have had their hours cut DRASTICALLY and HAVE to resort to these type of programs. Hence, record amounts of people receiving assistance. Tax dollars towards these programs are a drop in the bucket compared to the frivilous spending the crooked gov. does, such as exporting BILLIONS of your tax dollars to other countries that do absolutely NOTHING for any American, and spending BILLIONS of dollars PER DAY on war. Sure, some people abuse the system, but not most. People should be pissed off at THAT instead of attacking people that are less fortunate than themselves. And to that poster with the thinly veiled racial remark along the lines of ''cut off welfare and lower the population'', the demographic that you so fondly referred to is not the majority on food stamps. They only make up 14% of the population, genius.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Obviously it buys votes. When government tries to help the poor they hurt the poor because people abuse the system. If the government really wants to help the poor they would do it at the community level. People in the community know the people who need help and what it will take to get them back on their feet. The FED just cuts checks. Getting a check from the FED hurts the poor because there is less to help them with due to the abuse. It corrupts our voting system and is wasteful beyond belief.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
So who in this thread knows what it's like to go hungry because of unemployment? Who knows what it's like to live on the streets? Who knows what it's like to actually GO WITHOUT, in all senses of the phrase?

Anyone? Anyone? But you'll complain when your taxes are used to help those who need it, instead of those who want an extra pair of high heels or maybe another drink at the bar, as opposed to those who don't have shoes or maybe live in a box behind the bar?

I love how people are willing to complain at the slightest justification. It's like they wouldn't know what to do if they didn't have something to be unsatisfied with. The truth, is, not a damn person on this thread knows the real meaning of UNSATISFIED. You live in America. Your trash cans have more food in them than the average table in the Middle East or Africa. You think you have problems? Shut up.

Be damn glad for what you have. I'm sick of your whining. Seriously. I'd love to see how you handle being on the streets in the dead of winter with nothing but a holey blanket and a half bottle of rum to keep you distracted from reality. And while there are people who live day to day like that, you get to sleep in a nice warm bed with a nice roof over your head, food in the fridge, a mode of transportation that goes over 8 miles an hour, and a television to entertain you. Half the stuff you have, you don't need. Half the stuff you have, I've seen people live for years without.

You think you have ANYTHING to gripe about? Think again. You don't know how lucky you are. It's like hearing a child complain about going to bed at 9:00 pm when there's a soldier in another country who has to pull the third all-nighter in a row because he's in enemy territory.

Learn some gratitude. And the funniest part is being told to respect my elders - when they show less gratitude than I do. My god...
edit on 24-11-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
And you have the gall to complain? ...... You're ungrateful, is what you are.

Grow up. We have a DUTY to discuss what is happening in our government and to expose the government for what it is when it goes astray. But go ahead and sit back and keep up with the 'love it or leave it' rhetoric. The fascist goons who are in a power grab LOVE people like you.

I'm not the topic ... GET ON TOPIC.

ON TOPIC ... Food stamp recipients outnumber populations of 24 states combined.

This is either failure on an EPIC scale on the part of elected leadership ...Or it's a well thought out plan by certain entities to get people totally depending on the government ... a power grab. Or maybe both.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Check my previous post. How's that for on topic? I can think of a dozen problems more important than welfare, but NOOOOOO. People have to complain because it's hitting their pocketbooks. God forbid we don't have money to spend!!

Go live in the woods and learn something about life that doesn't revolve around dollar signs.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

But you'll complain when your taxes are used to help those who need it, instead of those who want an extra pair of high heels or maybe another drink at the bar,

Pure arrogance and assumption on your part.

I love how people are willing to complain at the slightest justification.

Seeing massive failure of the government .. or a massive power grab .. that results in a HUGE population of people requiring food stamps ... that's not a 'slight justification' for complaint. That's major. We have every right to complain about the state the government is in. We have every right to be wary of a government power grab. Only a fool would sit back and think it's all good and wonderful.

You think you have problems? Shut up. Be damn glad for what you have. I'm sick of your whining. Seriously.

Go play elsewhere.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I take this thread as more of a complaint about the lack of jobs, more than a complaint about people using needed resources.

The US needs a workforce, badly. Too many jobs outsourced. Not enough thought from the governments at both state and federal level to encourage "job creators" to actually get people working on manufacturing inside the country, or to work on the infrastructure. To get more people working so they can pay into revenue needed by the country to pay for obligations and spending

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

I can think of a dozen problems more important than welfare, but NOOOOOO. People have to complain because it's hitting their pocketbooks. God forbid we don't have money to spend!!

People have a duty and a right to complain about failure in the government. Having food stamp recipeints outnumber populations of 24 states combined .. that's a MASSIVE FAILURE on the part of the government and it's programs/ideals. OR it's a massive power grab by nefarious entities within the government. Either way, it's very serious and deserves discussion.

Go live in the woods and learn something about life that doesn't revolve around dollar signs.

More assumption and arrogance.
You know nothing about the people posting here.
Stop trolling.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Complain when your hungry, complain when your not. That is the problem here, to much complaining.

Why not actually do something about it instead of complaining.

Be thankful that your government at least provides the option for food stamps. You of course have the right to decline to use them. As do the other 40 odd million people.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
I take this thread as more of a complaint about the lack of jobs, more than a complaint about people using needed resources.

There ya' go.
Obviously. The government has either failed the American people or it's grabbing power by making everyone have to depend on it. Or both. Having a government with policies that ends up with America having food stamp recipients outnumbering populations of 24 states combined .. that's a HUGE failure on the part of the government. Something they are doing is very, very wrong. (or it was all intended to work out this way for a power grab to make people depend on them.)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by magma
Why not actually do something about it instead of complaining.

First people have to admit there is a problem. As you can see by a few posts here, some people refuse to admit it and just spew namecalling when confronted with the truth of the situation.

Then people have to discuss that there is a problem and how it happened.

Then people can come up answers.

But the first big thing .. make people aware of the situation. And it's a BIG PROBLEM!!

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
If foodstamps didn't exist just think about how the poverty rate would sky rocket. It would cost jobs too, since all that money is being funneled in the grocery store economy... It's a recession, what do you expect?

Just sayinnnnnn.........

I'd rather have my money go to foodstamps than the defense any day

Bread over bombs

edit on 24-11-2012 by Trustfund because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trustfund
If foodstamps didn't exist just think about how the poverty rate would sky rocket.

This isn't a 'get rid of food stamps' article. It's an article exposing just how many people are on foodstamps. (people don't realize how many in this country need them!!) It's exposing a massive failure on the part of the government which is a cause for so many people to have to use the foodstamps.

Fix the problem with the government.
Then the number of people on foodstamps will go down.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

I dont mind that people in need are on these programs. Its the accountability, the checks and balances, that concern me.

Alas, in New Hampshire, you’re allowed to even purchase smokes with your meager allowance — and one fed-up cashier refused to accept EBT benefits for a purchase, and was summarily fired. The irony is almost too much to bear, as nearly all cashiers are nearly poverty-line themselves — yet this one felt such righteous indignation at being asked to do the job she was being paid to do, which is basically the only responsibility adults have besides raising kids and paying bills that she jeopardized it to make a point about other poor people.

Cashier Refuses to Accept Food Stamps For Cigarettes, is Fired

Really, Cigarettes?

And its allowed?

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
We spend 700 billion on defense (a.k.a. offense) and 70 billion feeding the poor.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join