It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Stamp Recipients Outnumber Populations of 24 States Combined

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Millions commit food stamp fraud every year
www.abc2news.com...

I have seen this for years, and the cards are not a fail safe, you don't have to go to a retailer, there are plenty of people out there you can get to give you cash for your card and you keep the card, they just give you a little more cash then is what on the card.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
[

If you want someone to blame, get out your history book and go through the list of all US presidents since the Federal Reserve was created, underline all of them, and there you have your guilty party. Some are more guilty than others of course - for instance, those who take funding from corporations and bankers, and those who lowered the taxes on those who could easily afford it and placed the burden on every other tax payer are more to blame (Bush).

What is really destroying America is the ignorant people who think they know something they don't. It's what Reagan said about the left, the problem with our friends on the left is they know so much that isn't true (paraphrased).
Bush 43's tax cuts were across the board. Every tax paying citizen enjoyed more of their hard earned money. What we face is the biggest tax increase in the history of mankind. My thoughts are it's going to happen. Politicians on the left and right are hungry for more revenue because most of them are idiots who only wish to be members of Congress for the perksck . Depression be damned, they get their 194,000 dollar paycheck and bennies regardless if some poor slob gets foodstamps or new clothes.
edit on 25-11-2012 by doug1961 because: to supply the quoted text

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
The audacity of some people still trying to blame Bush for this.
Twenty six out of fifty, not fifty seven, is more than 50%.

What happens under a President's watch is his doing, that includes the good and the bad, and everything from killing OBL to a US credit downgrade.
Nobody wants people to go hungry, the point that is being made here js that Obama can officially be crowned as the food stamp President.

Well, I'd rather be responsible for more food stamps than be responsible for the largest terrorist attack on American soil in the history of this country, not to mention also being responsible for the worst economic disaster since the depression (the economic crash of 2007). Just sayin' - they happened on Bush's watch.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

The problem is the government created this monster with a desire to bring down America as we know it.

The government did this? Which government?

:-)

Stormdancer - wondering if you could describe: America - as we know it
edit on 11/25/2012 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
So, 1. if the number of people on the Food Card program has increased, and, 2. we've had a major economic failure, and 3. if that failure is the primary causal factor to the increase in people using the Food Card over time, then it would follow that the system (or whatever factors) that led to the major economic failure is the root cause of the current Food Card program numbers.

(1. The number of people on the Food Card program has increased, per the statistics sited in this thread. 2. We have obviously had a major economic failure since the fourth quarter of 2008 when the crash officially began, though the system was breaking down before that. 3. see CBO quote below: Source)

SNAP has responded effectively to the recession. SNAP caseloads have increased significantly since late 2007, as the recession and lagging recovery battered the economic circumstances of millions of Americans and dramatically increased the number of low-income households who qualify and apply for help from the program. In addition, the 2009 Recovery Act increased SNAP benefits as a way of delivering economic stimulus. Policymakers deemed SNAP to be effective for this purpose because of its broad reach among low-income populations and its high efficiency. According to the National Academy of Science measures of poverty, which count SNAP as income, SNAP kept about 4 million people out of poverty in 2010 and lessened the severity of poverty for millions of others.
The recent growth in SNAP spending is temporary. The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) predicts that SNAP spending will fall as a share of GDP in coming years as the economy recovers and the Recovery Act provisions end. By 2022 SNAP is expected to return nearly to pre-recession levels as a share of GDP. Over the long term, SNAP is not growing faster than the overall economy and thus is not contributing to the nation’s long-term fiscal problems.
SNAP payment accuracy is at an all-time high. SNAP has one of the most rigorous quality control systems of any public benefit program, and despite the recent growth in caseloads, the share of total SNAP payments that represent overpayments, underpayments, or payments to ineligible households reached a record low in fiscal year 2011.

So in order to find real solutions that would both change the current reality and keep another financial implosion from happening, the question to be answered is what are the factors that led to the Great Recession. Well, that would take a REALLY long post and I'm not even sure I have all the answers on that - so for the moment at least I'll move on to another point more direct to the OP's questions.

I don't think there are only two choices - i.e. government failure or a direct 'power grab' in the form of dependency on public funding. There is more at play here. Who does this public assistance help? It helps low income individuals and families get food, including what we call "the working poor." That is a real key right there - Low Paying Jobs. Who is helped by the Food Card program in addition to low income people? Corporations.
The Minimum Wage is being subsidized by programs like the Food Card. It is a "Win" for small businesses and larger corporations who do not have to pay a livable wage. The "Social Safety Net" is also a "Business Subsidy."

Corporations and Small Businesses don't want to have to pay more than the current Minimum Wage as it impacts their bottom line and, to insist on implementing an increase in the Minimum Wage right now, could be crippling to businesses trying to recover from the Recession - or at least it might inhibit the number of people they can employ.

The Food Card is a means for the government to do two very important things 1) feed people who would go hungry, creating great increases in unrest and crimes of desperation and, 2) help businesses by subsidizing workers rather than increasing the Minimum Wage.

peace,
AB

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

I wonder if you know my America?

Hey gotta a spare child I can borrow?

Seriously i have lived in the inner city most my life, send me the baby and the birth certificate please, I actually know people who do this.

If I told you what goes on around here you would just get angry with me, yea me, instead of the real issues.

Work the system baby, work it.
edit on 103030p://bSunday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Evasive, emotional and irrational

I was asking a real question Stormdancer

But - it's not difficult to take this reply as a genuine reply - it speaks volumes

So, one more time - please

Which government created this mess?

And, what is this America As We Know It - of which you speak?
edit on 11/25/2012 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
The audacity of some people still trying to blame Bush for this.
Twenty six out of fifty, not fifty seven, is more than 50%.

What happens under a President's watch is his doing, that includes the good and the bad, and everything from killing OBL to a US credit downgrade.
Nobody wants people to go hungry, the point that is being made here js that Obama can officially be crowned as the food stamp President.

Is this your opinion partisan or fact?

2007 Unemployment Statistics

•December - Unemployment rose to 5%.
•November - The unemployment rate held steady at 4.7%, so most people felt the economy was not headed for a recession.

2008 Unemployment Statistics
•December - Unemployment rose to 7.2%, increasing faster than in the 2001 recession.
•November - Unemployment rose to 6.7%.
•October - Unemployment remained at 6.5%, a 14-year high.
•September - Unemployment remained at 6.1%.
•August - The unemployment rate increased to 6.1%.
••May - The unemployment rate deteriorated again, to 5.5%. The total number of unemployed was 8.5 million, 861,000 more than last month, and 1.7 million more than last year in May. That's a 25% increase, year-over-year.
•April - The unemployment rate dropped slightly to 5%. The total number of unemployed was 7.6 million, a slight improvement from last month.
•March - The total number of unemployed was 7.8 million, with over half (4.1 million) unemployed due to losing their job. Of these, 914,000 lost their job in the last year, with a third (300,000) losing their job in March alone. The unemployment rate increased to 5.1%.

2009 Unemployment Statistics
•December: Unemployment remained steady at 10%.
•November: Unemployment dropped slightly to 10%.
•October: Unemployment rose to 10.2%.
•September - The unemployment rate went up to 9.8%.
•August - Unemployment worsened to 9.7%.
•July - Unemployment stayed at 9.5%. The job loss trend worsened when compared to the prior year.
•June - Unemployment continued to climb, affecting 14.7 million people, or 9.5% of the work force.
•May - Unemployment rose to 9.4%, which meant 14 million workers were without jobs.
•April - The unemployment rate rose to 8.9% with 13.7 million workers unemployed.
•March - Over 694,000 workers became unemployed in March, bringing the total count to 13.1 million and the unemployment rate to 8.5%.
•February - The number of unemployed workers increased by 851,000, driving the unemployment rate to 8.1%.
•January - Huge job losses drove the unemployment rate to 7.6%.

2010 Unemployment Statistics
•December: Although unemployment fell to 9.5%, this was because discouraged workers dropped out of the labor force. They'll be back - and keep unemployment between 9-10% through 2011.
•May: Unemployment dropped back to 9.7%.
•April: The unemployment rate rose to 9.9%, partly because discouraged workers returned to the labor force.
•March: Unemployment remained at 9.7% - although 1 million discouraged workers were no longer counted among the unemployed.
•February: Unemployment stabilizes at 9.7%.
•January: Unemployment dropped a bit to 9.7%%.
useconomy.about.com...

The phrase Bush tax cuts refers to changes to the United States tax code passed originally during the presidency of George W. Bush, through:
Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2001 (EGTRRA)
Jobs and Growth Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2003 (JGTRRA)

The Bush tax cuts had sunset provisions that made them expire at the end of 2010, since otherwise they would fall under the Byrd Rule. Whether to renew the lowered rates, and how, became the subject of extended political debate, which was resolved during the presidency of Barack Obama by a two-year extension that was part of a larger tax and economic package, the Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010.

The non-partisan Congressional Research Service has estimated the 10-year revenue loss from extending the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts beyond 2010 at $2.9 trillion, with an additional $606 billion in debt service costs (interest), for a combined total of $3.5 trillion.[31]
en.wikipedia.org...

It would be unfair or partisan prejudice to deny that the G.W. Bush years had an effect on the financial problems we face today. It would also be unfair to totally blame G.W. Bush for our problems. Anyone who is rational and has researched the economy would deduct that nearly every president "kicked the can down the road" so that the fiscasl responsibility fell on the next presidency.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Millions commit food stamp fraud every year
www.abc2news.com...

I have seen this for years, and the cards are not a fail safe, you don't have to go to a retailer, there are plenty of people out there you can get to give you cash for your card and you keep the card, they just give you a little more cash then is what on the card.

This does not make sense. Why would someone pay more for a food stamp card then it is worth? I have seen food stamp abuse myself. Usually the food stamp recepient sells their card for 50-60% of it's value. Most of the time it is the homeless or drug addicts. I have never seen working families who receive stamps trade them for cash. Usually they are trying to stretch their stamps to last the whole month. If you are as familiar with food
stamps as you claim, then where are your stories of those who barely survive on food stamps? Or is it your intention to present a specific version to validate your opinion?

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
Hmmm...so many people unsatisfied with the American government, yet they are using American property on American soil using an American internet connection to complain about the American government which supports their American right to freedom of speech just so it can hear them complain about how unfair America is.

Yep, sounds totally justified. Here's an idea: move to another country. If you don't like it here, leave.

Whoever you are, it's obvious you don't have a clue about what 'American government' is. 'American government' is the people of the United States. I was born here and I will die here and if I have to die violently in a struggle to re-establish this nation, then so let it be!

In the meanwhile, how about go and educate yourself.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

We're still assigning blame and not focusing on the issue.

The government now controls what and how 47 million people eat.

Everyone can agree that the numbers are accurate.

How do we get people OFF the government food card?

Or does the government want people to stay on it?

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I dunno - how?

Go for it beezzer - show us the way

Why can't these freeloaders feed themselves?

Use as many posts as it takes

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis
reply to post by beezzer

I dunno - how?

Go for it beezzer - show us the way

Why can't these freeloaders feed themselves?

Use as many posts as it takes

By your flippant reply, I take it then that you are for more people to be under the control of government?

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

We're still assigning blame and not focusing on the issue.

You have to increase the demand for American workers (nearly impossible without major changes in regulations, taxes and wage/hours controls) then add exponential and increasing force over time to incentives to get people off of assistance and back in the American workforce. (Again nearly impossible as employers aren't interested in hiring more expensive American workers).

There are no easy answers, especially when so many are consumed by partisan agendas and politics.

See my previous post in this thread for more.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

And why would the government want people to stay on it, Beezzer? How does the government benefit from the poor, elderly and disabled? Votes? Maybe .... but I would like to see the stats on exactly how many from these groups actually go out and vote. I have a feeling it's pretty low. Especially since half of the recipients of food stamps are children under the age of 18.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

By your flippant reply, I take it then that you are for more people to be under the control of government?

Flippant?

Going by your snotty bit of deflection, I take it you're really not ready to offer real solutions - and all this posturing about not assigning blame is in effect - assigning blame

What gives bunny? :-)

I was totally serious - how does this get fixed?

Wonder if you can give us any solutions that don't assign blame

edit to add: Ok - I wasn't totally serious - I was also being humorous - so sue me

edit on 11/25/2012 by Spiramirabilis because: Seriously?

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

And why would the government want people to stay on it, Beezzer? How does the government benefit from the poor, elderly and disabled? Votes? Maybe .... but I would like to see the stats on exactly how many from these groups actually go out and vote. I have a feeling it's pretty low. Especially since half of the recipients of food stamps are children under the age of 18.

Just think of the social engineering that could be accomplished in calming the masses. Weren't you the one who said something about there being a fear of rioting and looting?

Well, if government can quell the masses, then no fear of insurrection.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ConspiracyBuff

I guess it would be better if those 47 million had nothing, and instead were robbing people on every block

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis

Flippant?

Going by your snotty bit of deflection, I take it you're really not ready to offer real solutions - and all this posturing about not assigning blame is in effect - assigning blame

What gives bunny? :-)

I was totally serious - how does this get fixed?

Wonder if you can give us any solutions that don't assign blame

edit to add: Ok - I wasn't totally serious - I was also being humorous - so sue me :-)
edit on 11/25/2012 by Spiramirabilis because: Seriously?

Thought so.

If I knew all the answers then I'd be a loudmouth on a websi-. . . . . . . wait, what?

The first thing in finding a solution, though, is defining and identifying the problem.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

Just think of the social engineering that could be accomplished in calming the masses. Weren't you the one who said something about there being a fear of rioting and looting?

Well, if government can quell the masses, then no fear of insurrection.

Insurrection over what? What kind of social engineering? Specific examples please.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join