Food Stamp Recipients Outnumber Populations of 24 States Combined

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by Merinda
If low income earners try to fight for higher wages, they are evil communists. If they are on foot stamps, they are lazy slobs that cost me money. What the heck...

As I said ... many times ... it's not the fact that they are using food stamps that is the problem. It's the fact that they need it to begin with. That many people on food stamps??? In the USA??? That's a major breakdown of some kind with US policy. Both the democrats and republicans have had a hand in it. Either that, or it's been planned this way by TPTB to gain control over the people. If you have a death grip on their basic needs (in this case food), you can control them in a massive way.

Yes, the breakdown of US policy was deregulation that happened pre-Obama, which made it a whole lot easier for greedy bankers and investors to crash the economy while they get richer. The whole mortgage investment crises lead to the recession which has killed jobs which has lead to all the unemployment which has necessitated this huge rise in the need for food stamps. We need to bring back regulation, and we need to clamp down on the 1%. They're killing our country, and they don't care, because they're getting richer by the minute, while everyone else suffers.

I just don't buy into the whole "government control" thing. History shows that when you purposely cause your population to suffer, you get major unrest, which usually leads to revolution. Why would our government plan something that could potentially lead to a revolution? If control is really what they want, why not just have martial law right now? Those silly martial law rumors have been going on for years, but it's never happened, has it?

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Ma'am, I'm seeing a theme here.

The detractors can't argue for the government controling so much and so many through the foodstamp program, so they erect strawmen to detract from the central message.

If you can control how and what people eat, you can control the people themselves.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by SymbolicLogic

I was once invited to join the Golden Key Society, Mensa, and the local equivalents for my region. I couldn't pay for school lunch.

What baffles me is how little high intelligence correlates to wealth.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv
the breakdown of US policy was deregulation that happened pre-Obama,

I dunno ... Obama looks a lot like a third Bush43 term to me ...
And now a fourth Bush43 term. Not a lot of difference ...

I just don't buy into the whole "government control" thing. History shows that when you purposely cause your population to suffer, you get major unrest, which usually leads to revolution.

Seems to be working for North Korea.
It worked well for communist Russia for a long time too.
I'm just putting it out as an option to the 'Washington DC is inept' theory.
Sometimes I wonder about it ...

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by alumnathe
The first problem is the assumption behind notions of "first world country" and "third world country", terms that were discarded by economists long ago for their discriminatory connotation that somehow people live in different "worlds" than on the small planet with limited resources we all must share.

Implying there is no difference between various countries level of wealth won't help the problem either. And no,Africa does not have limited resources. The existing resources are not being made use of due to lack of education. There is enough to go around for everyone if resources are made use of.

The second problem is the also-discarded "bootstrap" theory that if you give a starving child a checkbook they will magically benefit from a manufactured "work ethic"

Thats what my post was all about. Throwing fish at starving children doesn't work. Teaching them how to fish does.

that ignores the anomalous 1% who own 97% of the world's wealth through inheritance

80% of all very-rich in America are rich by enterprise/self-made, only 20% through inheritance. Times have changed. 200 years ago it was different, but things have truly changed. The upper-class that horded its riches through inheritance has steadily been dying out, making way for a world more based on merit than bloodline.

not by wearing boots of any kind at all. In spite of all the hype about their donations to charity, it is a fact that for the past 50 years, those in the U.S. middle class and working poor give more per capita to charities than anyone in the U.S. making more than a million per year. This is just a fact.

The middle-class and upper-middle-class have contributed the most to charity as well as employment. Therefore, supporting the middle-class strongly, also supports lower classes. Thats why countries with a strong middle class are the best off overall.

To solve its problems the U.S. needs to examine countries that are well-off. What it will reveal is behavior that reflects times in which the U.S. itself was well-off.

Since you are a moderator I am not going to risk disturbing you any further.

It should be obvious that I am posting here as a normal member and not taking part in any Moderator duties (which I wouldnt be allowed to in the threads I parcipate in anyway).

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

I just don't buy into the whole "government control" thing. History shows that when you purposely cause your population to suffer, you get major unrest, which usually leads to revolution.

Seems to be working for North Korea.
It worked well for communist Russia for a long time too.
I'm just putting it out as an option to the 'Washington DC is inept' theory.
Sometimes I wonder about it ...

North Korea DOES use martial law - big difference.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   

North Korea DOES use martial law - big difference.

... and it was able to impose martial law because it got control over the people .. control over their food .. control over their money .. control over everything. I'm not saying that FOR SURE the government is trying to implement policies that cause people to be totally dependent upon the government ... but it COULD be .... (and this is a conspiracy board so naturally we look towards possible conspiracies.
)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   

we need to clamp down on the 1%. They're killing our country, and they don't care, because they're getting richer by the minute, while everyone else suffers.

Rebuttal:

71% of taxes are paid by 10% of the income earners
edit on 25-11-2012 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by FreebirdGirl

ya, it is giving some people enough spending power to go out and spend money at the wal marts and other stores, so that those people who are compaining now can keep their jobs in the stores, the warehouses, the factories, ect....

actually, I don't think there is many people on these programs (outside of the disabled and elderly) who aren't either working some, or actively looking for work..since they are legally required to in order to maintain the benefits.

they are contributing, or at least trying to, they just aren't earning enough to support their families... and in NY enough is somewhere around $1,984 for a family of three, or well, if dad is working and mom is staying home taking care of the baby, well, dad would have to be making around $12/hr before he didn't qualify. now, if he made say, $11/hr, he would probably qualify for the program, but wouldn't get much!!
and, well, considering how much it would cost to put baby in childcare, putting mom to work doesn't make much sense either really....and if she did decide to, there would probably be a gov't program subsidizing her childcare anyways...

it's not the people that are the problem.

someone making $10, $11 dollars an hours isn't no burger flipper working in mc donalds...I've seen lots of jobs in the paper wanting college education, years of experience, paying in that range. they don't need education!! that isn't the answer. that's just society prompted by the bought and paid for gov't, trying to lure him into another trap, one designed not to have a way out!

the problem lies within the corporate/government policies that have provided the easy financing and gov't benefits, that have allowed the business sector to gradually offest the balance between income and cost of living without that many really taking much notice.

those who have lost good paying jobs because of this economy and are not looking at a bleak employment future, well, you tell me, just how helpful is it gonna be for society tothem to settle for an $8 or $9 dollar an hour job??
they can't really live on it, not without the rest of society helping them out at least a little. it's not really that much help to them, they still are living on what the managers of those gov't programs decide they are worthy to recieve. it's not helping the rest of the working class, since it just adds momentum to the force that has been pushing wages lower and lower. it seems that the only ones that it is helping is the gov't, who wants more and more power over the citizens, and the business sector, who have realized that they can charge just about whatever they want for their products, if the people can't afford it, thier buddies in gov't will step in and provide the money for them to, heck write up laws forcing the people to, and as they are able to do that, they can pay less and less to most of their workers in their company without that much resistance, since there will not really be mass hunger, or homelessness, because the gov't will step in and help them!!! heck, sometimes it's better to make less that more, as crazy at that sounds!!

the only way we the people are at fault is by letting them have the power to do this kind of crap!!!

no business should be eligible for tax credits or other gov't perks once it is found that a significant number of their employees are making below the cutoffs for these social programs. unless they are struggling just as badly as their employees to make it.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I see a lot of interesting misinformation or lack or research going on these days regarding this topic. Before anyone jumps down my throat I am not affiliated with any party, I think. So I took a look on who the largest food stamp recipients are by state:
chartsbin.com...

Then I looked at a map of what states are R, D, and swing for 2012:
www.cnn.com...

Then I took a look at what the election results were in 2004:
elections.nytimes.com...
(note you will have to slide the 'year' dial on left of map)

And then I looked at the election results for 2012:
elections.huffingtonpost.com...

I would appear that the states with the largest recipients of food stamp incidentally appear to be R states. Interesting, because many people are quick to accuse Government of stealing to give to people who like "stuff".
Ironically "the one who smelt it, dealt it"

While I completely agree some our social welfare are getting out of control, is social welfare on a whole the real issue?
We should take a close look at corporate welfare instead, which no one talks about and avoids like the plague. with out going into every stat. Social welfare = 59bil/year, corporate welfare = 92bil, foriegn aid = 50bil. not to mention 58bil in corporate tax breaks for “'deferred' taxes for off shore profits" and trillions in bailouts, that werent used for thier intended purpose.
www.commondreams.org...

Just my observation and contribution.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by alumnathe

innovation is the most important resource, and it isn't limited. It is suppressed. There is a difference.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   

So who in this thread knows what it's like to go hungry because of unemployment? Who knows what it's like to live on the streets? Who knows what it's like to actually GO WITHOUT, in all senses of the phrase?
reply to post by AfterInfinity

emotional whiners like you are the main problem this country has. i have spend nearly fifteen years of my life in conditions you wouldn't want to dream of but never asked for charity from anyone. if you have enough willpower, nothing can stop from being successful, so stop being a sensible little child.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by deepankarm

You are brain washed by the elite to feel shame of your condition.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

we need to clamp down on the 1%. They're killing our country, and they don't care, because they're getting richer by the minute, while everyone else suffers.

Rebuttal:

71% of taxes are paid by 10% of the income earners

This isn't about taxes. This is about the multi-millionaires and the billionaires at the very top of the banking/investment industry, who benefited the most from the mortgage investment scams.

Investment banking giant Goldman Sachs has become perhaps the most prominent symbol for everything that is wrong with the U.S. financial system, but most Americans cannot even begin to explain what they do or how they have made tens of billions of dollars from the economic collapse of America.

theeconomiccollapseblog.com... s

Why would people knowingly set themselves up for foreclosure? They wouldn’t! The key incentives for fraud and deception do not apply to rational borrowers who want to live in their homes. They apply to lenders, who were being paid very well to push borrowers into unaffordable mortgages. Bankers and brokers were paid kickbacks to steer borrowers into subprime loans, when those same borrowers would have qualified for ordinary mortgages. With heavy demand for mortgage-backed securities on Wall Street, banks knew they could issue garbage loans and stick other investors with the tab—so they did. The list of lenders who pawned their crappy loans off onto other people includes many of the biggest names in finance: Wells Fargo, Wachovia, Citigroup Bank of America, Countrywide, Washington Mutual and more. Banks stood to make a lot of money from fraud. Borrowers, by contrast, could count on foreclosure. Who do you think is going to falsify the income on loan applications?

www.ourfuture.org...

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by FlyersFan

Ma'am, I'm seeing a theme here.

The detractors can't argue for the government controling so much and so many through the foodstamp program, so they erect strawmen to detract from the central message.

If you can control how and what people eat, you can control the people themselves.

perfect conclusion beez. democrats want to increase the number of people who depend upon the government in order to slave them mentally.
and those slaves will always vote for their daddy.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

This isn't about taxes. This is about the multi-millionaires and the billionaires at the very top of the banking/investment industry, who benefited the most from the mortgage investment scams.

And how is attacking out-of-reach Billionaires is going to put food into peoples mouths?

How is protesting the rich going to empower the poor? Pragmatically thinking?

As you can see from my Rebuttal above, the 10% MOST support the 90%.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
American companies will get their cheap labor one way or another.

I've been watching busload after busload of Mexicans coming through the Houston area now.

Corporations and manufacturers have to compete with the Chinese, India, and others they can either relocate out of the USA or reduce labor costs.

As long as there is a trade imbalance it can only get worse. Outsourcing, relocating manufacturing and business outside of the USA...

America is doomed to perpetually decline in wealth and power unless it can confront the real problems driving this downward cycle. Government isn't the solution, and it isn't entirely the problem. If we can't get a large percentage of the ACTUAL unemployed and underemployed AMERICANS back to work, produce much more domestic oil and gas and reduce fuel costs then the engine that drives this economy is going to die, and will likely be beyond repair.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   

reply to post by kaylaluv

history also shows that humans don't learn a single lesson from history that's why it repeats itself again and again.
the desire to control others is innate it seems.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

And how is attacking out-of-reach Billionaires is going to put food into peoples mouths?

How is protesting the rich going to empower the poor? Pragmatically thinking?

As you can see from my Rebuttal above, the 10% MOST support the 90%.

My whole argument is that the reason for the huge rise in food stamp users is due to the economic collapse that began in 2007. What caused that economic collapse and how can we stop it from happening again? Regulate the banking and investment industry, because they caused the collapse and got rich on it. This is my answer to the OP's assertion that either the government is inept or is trying to "control the masses". The real problem is the government's ineptness (or unwillingness) in clamping down on the unbridled greed that has caused and is still causing our economic problems.

How do we fix the problem of so many unemployed and under-employed right now? Very difficult and very complicated problem. From what I have read and heard, the economy is making a slow but steady comeback. The problem is - the confidence of the people and employers just isn't there yet. While businesses may actually be doing better, they are afraid to start hiring. And people who have money are afraid to really spend it. Low confidence in the economy helps to perpetuate the problems in the economy.

Obama's challenge is to convince everyone that it's okay to move forward. One way he can do that is by lowering the deficit, by cutting government spending and building revenue, which I believe is his plan. Cutting government spending does NOT mean cutting out social services. Look at how Iceland did it. They got rid of their corrupt bankers, cut government spending while keeping social services intact, and took more taxes from the very rich, while helping out the poor and middle class. I see Obama attempting (or beginning to attempt) to do all these things, EXCEPT getting rid of the corrupt bankers. That is a mistake, IMHO.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Starchildren

For a working family, genuinely in need, who cannot make the ends meet at the end of the month and have children to feed, or lost their home and job, WHAT do you want these people to do? Starve to death? Do you honestly want them to starve?
starvation teaches the value of every piece of bread child. i have spend fifteen years rarely eating two meals a day and i am not dead am i??
so stop your hysterical drama kiddo.

You know, I cannot abide a person who makes welfare a lifestyle, but there are honest, good, hard working people out there who just cannot make ends meet.
and what do you mean by those 'ends' ?? i have yet to see a hard working man having no food to eat so maybe your standards of hard work are pathetic.

We should not punish these people. We should have some human compassion.

straw man argument. nobody is punishing nobody and compassion is for those who are helpless to change their condition not acting helpless.

My grandma told me that back in WWII when everyone planted their victory gardens, that everyone helped one another out and no one went hungry. Instead of complaining and hoarding your food, open a soup kitchen if you don't want people on welfare.
lol what can i say if you compare apples to oranges.

By the way it sounds in this thread, it seems some people simply do not care about other human beings. You would rather people simply dry up and blow away and that's just sad.

we want to make them learn the dying art of self help and self care child. some hard lessons make one stronger.

this country has gone the way of MINE MINE MINE and ME ME ME, which is evident in all the black friday videos.
quite funny reading this from leftists.

For one moment, try to picture yourself in a situation where you cannot make ends meet and you have gone from one place to the next begging for work, knocking on doors and asking if you can shovel someone's sidewalk or mow lawns.... and the answer is NO, every time, and you have a little one at home, needing to eat.
i have gone through much worse periods and due to my never feel helpless attitude i came out as a winner so stop making people feel more helpless as there is nothing worse than the feeling of pitied upon.

Are you going to starve to maintain your pride?

no i am going to work to my fullest and be happy with whatever amount of bread i earn.

Pride comes before a fall.
wrong. whiners like you cause the fall.

new topics
top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join