It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charlie Brown nostalgia, or are people sick of depravity shoved down their throats?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Charlie Browns Thanksgiving(unedited Thanks given to God) had a 2.2 Neilson rating, tied w/X Factor & only falling behind Survivor with a 2.3 rating. Im not saying X Factor or Survivor are depraved, but I do notice that most new shows and cartoon are pretty wicked

insidetv.ew.com...

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Yup the 'family guy' style of badboy humor needs to die, pronto. But it's just a symptom of a deep cultural sickness that needs to be addressed.

edit on 24-11-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by GeneralMishka

The Charlie Brown Specials always do well, the Halloween special was up this year as well.

On ABC, It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown scored a 2.7 up 17% from last year's 2.3 adults 18-49 rating on Thursday, October 27, 2011.

Source
edit on 11/24/2012 by Djayed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I grew up with the peanut specials...
love shulz social satire ...

but I also find
that if you pay close attention
some of that satire
does have an underlying edge...

Peanuts was a cartoon for kids, with adult connotations

Family Guy cartoon for Adults

Wiki Charles M. Shulz

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule
Yup the 'family guy' style of badboy humor needs to die, pronto. But it's just a symptom of a deep cultural sickness that needs to be addressed.

Now I have to disagree with you here, this humor has been around for quite some time. It has just evolved with the times and delivered in different mediums now(Used to only be Stand Up and movies like Porkys).

I am in my thirties and enjoy programs like American Dad, Family Guy, South Park. It allows for an escape from reality with elements of straight humor and subtle humor (You really only get the subtle if you watch many episodes and usually more then once). These shows really have no form of reality whats so ever and provide an escape.

Now reality TV is a symptom of a deep cultural sickness, to idolize people like the ones on Jersey Shore, Kardashians, Real Housewives, and Honey Boo Boo??? That is the programming that is not only adding to the degradation of our society and morels but a symptom of a cultural sickness.

I refuse to watch any reality TV, I will watch G rated programming for children before watching any reality TV.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

When family guy first came out, years ago, it was actually decent humor. Then it was canceled and brought back and the creator decided to make it vulgar humor, which is why its caught on with the teen boy crowd.
Seriously, if this was a movie, it could get an R rating

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

HUH??!!

The Family Guy humor does NOT "need to die". It is NOT "just a symptom of a deep cultural sickness that needs to be addressed" either. Where are you getting this stuff from?

Family Guy is simply a good and humorous cartoon providing the viewer great entertainment. You are sounding like a damn "Drama queen".

edit on 24-11-2012 by oper8zhin because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Normal Rockwell's appeal was at its height during the 1950s and 1960s. For many 'moral' Americans now these decades are a golden age long since gone. So what was the appeal of Rockwell's white picket fence, homespun cosiness back then? Did people buy into Rockwell's sentimentality back then because they were fed up with 1950s and 1960s depravity being shoved down their throats?

Or is it just a case that people are always looking back towards lost golden ages? Even the Greeks and the Romans bemoaned the moral downfall of their societies and the waywardness of their youth. An idea of whole 'lost' country - a country that arguably never was - Merry England, pervades within the English psyche, art and literature from 1600s and the 1800s.

I think if people have been doing this throughout history, it's got nothing to do with X-Factor or any other modern day cultural ephemera. People will come to look on Thanksgiving X-Factor as part of a lost golden age too.
edit on 24-11-2012 by Merriman Weir because: .

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

Not everything on the idiot box can be stuff with "strong, Christian overtones" (to quote the Robot Chicken episode which addressed the Peanuts gang).

If that were the case, we might as well move to a country that practices Sharia Law, where such "depravity" would never be allowed to air.

You have a brain, you have two eyes, you have two ears and the ability to tune out the stuff that offends you.

Don't like it? Shut off the idiot box and go for a walk outside.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

White, Christian nostalgia of an era that never was as wholesome as they claim to remember it.

That's all I view it as.

Nostalgia for an era that never existed (Jello Biafra & Mojo Nixon co-wrote an excellent song addressing this).
edit on 24-11-2012 by VaterOrlaag because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Looks like societies go through cycles. If you go further back, to the era of the west, you hit an era where many a small forntier town was a mini vegas. If you look at the 20s you have the era of prohibition and the festivities around it. Then the war and post war years hit.Who knows, maybe the next generation gap will be between fathers dressed casual occasionally doing pot and better and their straight edge uptight kids.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
If people were truly sick of depravity being shoved down their throats, they wouldn't watch TV to begin with. It isn't worth the time or effort to sift through the 99% of garbage broadcast to find that rare show worth seeing. And even if you did, you'd still have to contend with commercials--one of the lowest expressions of social depravity, in my humble opinion.

top topics

join