It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS... Help me build my magnetic rail inspired Centrifugal Flying Saucer.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
I first need to know... What material could withstand constant near speed of light speed? The power would have to be contained thus weakening its capabilities. But we all know that a closed loop rail system can reach absolutely astonishingly unbelievable speeds. And an unimaginable about of heat. Both of which can power some sort of free energy device. The closed loop magnetic rail system would allow torque allowing a shaft to be attached to drive an alternator in earth bound uses
Condescending comment: (How fricking stupid do you got to be its right in front of your face). Sorry. I hate reading how stupid people can be when it comes to trying to deny ignorance. Even myself, sometimes.

Anyways. I submit that if an earth made material can withstand near speed of light speeds building into a centrifugal pump of sorts driven by the closed loop magnetic rail that is driving the shaft. I know of course that it would need to be molded out of one piece to have any effect. But if thought about outside of earth friction and thought of in space. We could journey to zeta reticuli and choose one of their numerous habitable planets and moons if we absolutely had to abandon earth. Or if we wanted to colonize somewhere else as a constituency plan. With the vacuum of space you are running at optimum speed. No friction to slow things down.

I could just be crazy but I think it could work.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
What would be the method of propulsion in a vaccuum? Genuine question.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ringlejames

Look for a Buckminster Fuller type grid and use carbon fibres as material.

Interspaced with ceramic layers oughta' do ya.

edit on 24-11-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes

There's a reason why the Apollo missions had huge oxygen tanks on board. They had to fuel the combustion reactions artificially.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I honestly do not know what material could be used for near and/or light speed travel. We as humans have come nowhere near approaching the speed of light - being 186,000 miles per second. I am not sure honestly if any material we have could withstand the g-forces of moving at that speed. In space, having no oxygen the craft most likely could. Never in earths atmosphere I do not believe though.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rubicant13
We as humans have come nowhere near approaching the speed of light

And even if we could, time would pass at a slower rate for the person travelling, so they would come home to find all their friends long dead.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   

The method of propulsion. Closed-loop Electro-magnetic rail powering a shaft powering a centrifugal pump of sorts.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   

I mean, how does the pump make the ship move in space. This is somewhat over my head. Please explain in laymens terms, how it is propelled.

I(eta:have a brief understanding of) rockets and thrusters. How does the pump produce thrust?
edit on 24-11-2012 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   

" What material could withstand constant near speed of light speed?"

perhaps a "intracooled nose cone" covered in diamond composites that releases some type of gas to cool/shield the rest of the craft "as it flows over the rest of craft"
perhaps a magnetic field could deflect friction heat
airflow deflection truly could come into play at speeds we haven't played in yet too

" What would be the method of propulsion in a vaccuum? Genuine question."
perhaps that of a heart valve type of system...timed doors fore n aft with a "pulsing sheet" between um

use of nitinol for a base skin/air structure would be sweet and make any impact damage a breeze to repair

edit on 24-11-2012 by lasvegasteddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   

I mean, how does the pump make the ship move in space. This is somewhat over my head. Please explain in laymens terms, how it is propelled.

I(eta:have a brief understanding of) rockets and thrusters. How does the pump produce thrust?

I like to think of it like an ultra charged leaf blower. Think of one stronger more powerful. Stablilized for flight and the motor replaced with a closed-loop electro-magnetic rail motor.

I would need transformers and capacitors of course. Or I could just go nuclear.

What materials would I need. The heat would have to be contained maybe cut the power on the motor down to do so. What material could withstand immeasurable heat produced from the possible speeds?

Funny how an easy answer has so many questions...

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by lasvegasteddy

" What material could withstand constant near speed of light speed?"

perhaps a "intracooled nose cone" covered in diamond composites that releases some type of gas to cool/shield the rest of the craft "as it flows over the rest of craft"
perhaps a magnetic field could deflect friction heat
airflow deflection truly could come into play at speeds we haven't played in yet too

I thought about the cone thing which gave me the idea of the Fibonacci Spiral. Then I could build it out of paper if it was mathematically accurate down to the atomic level.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I don't think that there is any material made that could hold up under say fifty to one hundred thousand rpms. I think you can get like 10 to 15 thousand rpms out of a motorcycle engine. Balanced and blueprinted. A turbocharger can do up to 100,000 rpms but that's still a lot of stress on the bearings.

Is your thought something that could possibly be suspended in a vacuum and held up and propelled by magnets/electromagnets?

Just a thought.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   

The problem you have here is that, as speed increases so does mass. When you reach the speed of light the mass becomes infinite in size. (the size of the known universe). What you need to do is find a method of moving the mass from one point in space to another without having the mass increase in size. Basically, you need to find a method of bending space in front and behind to provide momentum.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
You are talking about this: Ion thruster. Used by NASA already.

No worries, sometimes someone thinks of something new. But not this time, as I see it.

Another topic: a material to withstand speeds near the speed of light? Well, the topspeed doesn't matter, it could be done with a sheet of paper. The acceleration is another thing. Maybe I misunderstood your question or you didn't word it clear enough for me.

To get something near the speed of light, there is a major problem with the energy needed to reach that speed. As you know, there are relativistic effects taking over.
If you want to build an Ion thruster to reach relativistic speeds, you would need enourmous amounts of energy. If you try it with a small rocket consisting of a magnetic loop capable to withstand the EXTRAORDINARY amounts of ampere needed to induce a magnetic field strong enough to propell the rocket upto relativistic speeds, you would find that the energy increases exponentially.

Look here, please: Relativistic rocket.

Good work up to here, the Ion thruster is indeed a very efficently working propulsion system!

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
"I don't think that there is any material made that could hold up under say fifty to one hundred thousand rpms"
best i know of is
synthetic diamond which passes natural on some scales is best material i know of
yes
proper suspension relieves alot of high rpm concerns

"Relativistic rocket. "
what a link that is...as i head to the corner and only read others replies now

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

If you want to construct something that will spin up to near light speed, while it's theoretically possible, it could be incredibly difficult to engineer such a device in practice. For a smaller device its spin would have to be in the range of hundreds of millions of rpm. Even if a device could be constructed with a circumference of a mile, it would still need to spin at somewhere near 180,000 revs per second (10,800,000 rpm).

The forces involved would be colossal and frankly I don't know if there is any material or combination of materials that could withstand such stresses. And with such a high spin rate it would need to be perfectly balanced down to microgrammes to avoid destructive vibrations.

All that being said, it's great to see anyone thinking outside the box and so I'd encourage you to pursue your idea. Perhaps you could design a virtual model using 3D engineering design software? That way you could experiment with it and see what further ideas it gives you. Quite often, problems only seem insoluble because people give up too easily. So if you feel you might be onto something then keep at it!

Mike

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Considering that MASS increases at the speed of light ...
Relativistic Mass

... consideration would need be taken that ANY material, real or imagined used in this application would have its mass increase exponentially to the point where as the mass increases to near infinite in approaching the speed of light, gravitational effects would cause the whole thing to collapse into a singularity state; a black hole.

To get around your machine turning itself into a black hole, you'd either need apply the whole conversion of matter to energy thing, and/or use a material with ZERO MASS.

Thus, your three options are;
1. Black hole.
2. Machine made out of, or using components made out of pure energy.
and/or
3. Machine made out of, or using components with zero mass.

edit on 24-11-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Haven't you forgotten about the antimatter stabiliser?

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ringlejames

I like to think of it like an ultra charged leaf blower. Think of one stronger more powerful. Stablilized for flight and the motor replaced with a closed-loop electro-magnetic rail motor.

I would need transformers and capacitors of course. Or I could just go nuclear.

What materials would I need. The heat would have to be contained maybe cut the power on the motor down to do so. What material could withstand immeasurable heat produced from the possible speeds?

Funny how an easy answer has so many questions...

Ok what is it blowing? A leafblower blows air. There is no air in space.

posted on Dec, 2 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
If you wanted to try something completely different you could try this.

The main problem with a reaction-less space drive would be Newton's law of motion. In a closed system a action would create a equal and opposite reaction. So the trick is to figure out how to McGuyver this law. I figure you could do that by using Newton's law of energy. While energy cannot be created or destroyed it however can be transformed. So what you would do is put a transformation layer between the action and reaction.

Example. Take electrical energy to create a forward push of kinetic energy. Then the reaction is transformed into something else. Electricity, light, heat, etc etc. And the net difference between the action and reaction transforms into forward motion.

Now here's how I'd do it. What you would start with is two rotating flywheels in one assembly Each driven by it's own separate motor and computer synchronized to run mirrored at a couple of hundred rpm. There would be a strong permanent magnet attached on each flywheel and two "arms" with electromagnets mounted at the 3:00 and 9:00 positions.

Now what happens is this. As the 1st flywheel rotating clockwise from the 12:00 to 3:00 position approaches the 3:00 electromagnet that electromagnet is energized to attract the permanent magnet. And the same thing is happening on the other flywheel. As it approaches the 9:00 position that electromagnet is powered up to attract it's permanent magnet as well. And as the magnets line up the electromagnets are shut off and the permanent magnets pass by.

So what happened? As the magnets lined up the attraction sped up the flywheels. And the permanent magnets registered a kinetic kick in the 12:00 direction. An action and a reaction. But they're not opposite. The interactions of the magnets is the transformation layer.

And the reason for 2 flywheels is to prevent the apparatus from rotating around itself.

Now on the flip side between the 6:00 and 9:00 position what would happen? The electromagnets would be energized to repel the permanent magnets. The flywheels would slow down. And as they lined up at the 9:00 and 3:00 positions then the electromagnets would shut off and the magnets pass by.

So what happened? The flywheels slowed and a kinetic kick was created in the 12:00 direction. Repeat the process a few thousand times and you should be generating forward motion.

It's an engine diagram.
edit on 2-12-2012 by ntech because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join