It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone know of any symbolism involving mutilated cats?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I hope this is the right forum of this kind of thing, sorry if it is not.

The other day I had a very very unnerving dream. I am an insomniac and a light sleeper. Ever since I was a child I have had trouble sleeping. One thing is that if anything is too far out of the ordinary or does not lead gradually to being odd, I know its a dream and I then wake up instantly. Thus, in-general when I do dream they are super realistic and I can not tell I am dreaming. I have had my share of unnerving and brutal dreams, but for some reason this one a few nights ago just unnerved me in a way I haven't felt in years.

In the dream I was at some ones house; it was some type of party or get together of about 12 - 20 people. Supposedly I knew the people, but I honestly don't recognize them. The house had 2 stories and was connected to a type of a green house. I was just ideally hanging out with the other guests when the owner of the house decided to show me the green house. I was the first to enter and I then stopped dead in my tracks. There was a dead mutilated black cat in the center of the green house. I don't know what it was about it, but I have never felt such a cold shiver run down my spine before. Shortly after the guests got wind of it everyone panicked. For some reason my instinct was to suspect that who ever did it might have still been there, and I warned everyone to watch out just in case. The police where phoned and the dream continued for a while.

Normally I just brush odd dreams off, but for some reason I just can't shake this one. It was such an over whelming sense of dread and coldness, I haven't felt anything like it before. In real life I had fallen into a river during a blizzard, that was cold, but this dream was colder. The coldness or unnerving-ness was deep cutting to the soul I guess I could say. So, I am really wondering if any one knows of symbolism involving a dead mutilated cat? I just want a know for curiosities sake.
edit on 24-11-2012 by halfmask because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I have always found cats to be creepy.

That said cats are thought to be highly spiritual beings. I also recently read a bit of info concerning the Oculist secret society and their usage of 2 cats watching over a mouse.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by cry93

Anything about mutilated dead cats? I Google searched and found many things on spiritual meaning of cats in general from folk lore and Egypt and such. Nothing really about dead mutilated cats. One thing on a Chinese and Taiwan tradition is to hang dead cats in trees because burying them would allow them to come back as demons. There was also cases of some one mutilating cats in this one city. Other then that I couldn't find much.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Sounds like a scene from a cheesy horror movie; I have seen imagery of mutilated black cats before, and I think it was from a movie. I can't remember which, though, sorry.

Anyways, cats generally symbolize feminism and the self. For a cat to be mutilated, however, could be a reflection on your life situation at the moment, or perhaps a disconnect from your femininity. Dead cats represent a lack of autonomy in life, perhaps relating directly to your insomnia. Black cats are generally associated with bad luck, but that may just be a Western thing; they also represent fear.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
It means Glenn Danzig is in your neighborhood.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

Good insight, I thank you for those points. I am going through a bit of a rough patch, but I have gone through several rough patches in my life. It might be related. Lack of autonomy is core to my current predicament, its finding points like this out that really shed light on things some times. I never knew that symbolism; makes me wonder how symbolism is shared between people.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by halfmask

take what you will from the following, it's late and don't have the energy to try and break it down

To�dream that someone or something is mutilated indicates that your integrity is put into question.

dreammoods.com...

Greenhouse
To see or dream that you are in a greenhouse represents transformation. You are experiencing some changes in your life brought about mainly as a result of your own doing. It also suggests that you may be too overly controlling. You want things done your way, but in the process you may be isolating yourself.

Party
To dream that you are at a party suggests that you need to get out more and enjoy yourself. If the party is a bad one, then it indicates that you are unsure of your social skills. If you dream that you are at your own birthday party, then it represents appreciation of the life you have.�

Odds are that you've adopted(or trying to) new behavioral traits, trying to control your relationships with people in order to shape their opinion in regards to your integrity, that you are unsure if it's the right path... or even if it's working.

Social Identity Crisis in a way... close?

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
The role of cats in religion throughout history has been a distinct one. Or, I should say, cats (what we would call house cats as opposed to lions or tigers) are used in many religions, particularly polytheistic religions. In fact, I may be wrong on this part, but I believe cats are an important animal in witchcraft.

As opposed to symbolism in dreams, I'm of the school where the only important role dream imagery plays is in understanding one's self. Dreams are the mind's way of exploring the subconscious, so a mutilated cat could mean many things, some complicated, some less complicated. For instance, a mutilated cat may simply be just bad nightmare imagery. To me, nightmares are a way of protecting the dreamer from going too far deep into the recesses of their mind. Perhaps such imagery can be explained away as simply your mind protecting itself by depicting something you think is cute, like a cat, mutilated in a horrible way.

In other words, maybe you just love cats, and a mutilated cat in your dream means just that.

But as always, I may be way off the mark, and it has a far deeper meaning pertaining to your subconscious.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   

What do cats signify to you? If you sit down and think deeply about that question, you might be able to identify what the dream-scene represented.

Dreams that affect us deeply tend to be presented in forms that are abstract and highly symbolic. We can awake with the profound sensation that they are trying to tell us something and spend the morning trying to work them out as fast as they are fading in the memory. If this is so, it's your own subconsciousness presenting the image of the mutilated cat and must (on some weird level) mean something to you. Nobody knows for sure, but in some way it's one level of awareness tapping another level on the shoulder and trying to get its attention. The problem is that one is deaf and mute whilst the other speaks and is blind.

As an example of this, my own mind has an attachment to cars and driving. Since before I could drive this symbolism would show up in those colourful and dramatic dreams like yours. In my case, I've often had dreams involving car crashes and crashed cars or landscapes with old car wrecks. Over time it became apparent that they appear in periods when my life is out of control and symbolise anxiety.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Snoop around a bit .. establish Google Alerts© ... keep six on the disturbing "unresolved, serial, globally-occurring domestic cat-mutilation crisis" (out there). Look for things like "another cat found cut in half" or "serial pet killer strikes again" . No shortage of such super-high strangeness going on out there. Always the same "forensic findings" (or lack thereof). Do your homework - keep snoopin. Cats can't type too well - so help em out. Here's a good starting point.
______beforeitsnews/alternative/2010/10/surgical-cat-mutilations-reported-ufo-aliens-at-work-209080.html
And here:
bigwobblenews.blogspot.ca...

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I found this:

Back in the late 1990s, when the Satanic Panic had almost run its course, belief in SRA appeared to be still strong within the animal protection community. In 1996, Nancy Suro, director of the Maxfund, a pet-adoption agency in Colorado, said: ''Some satanic cults sacrifice all-black or all-white cats as part of their rituals. I know such activity goes on. We absolutely refuse to take any chances with these cats' lives." 4 In 1997, Deborah Thomas the executive director of the Maryland SPCA said: "As horrible as this may sound, cats are tortured around Halloween time. It's just incredible what people will do to cats, as if they don't have any feelings." 5

Here: www.religioustolerance.org...
edit on 24-11-2012 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Wifibrains

Adoption of black cats is allowed again during Halloween season

Posted: 10/30/2012
LOS ANGELES - Despite a myth that black cats are in danger during the Halloween season, animal shelter officials say there is no recent evidence to support it.

The myth caused shelters to stop the adoption of black cats in October for more than a decade. But after extensive research, experts have given the OK for shelters to resume the feline adoptions.
Search for headline to read article in its entirety.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
OP,

Unfortunately I have not encountered anything about mutilated cats. If you'd like to share more about your dream U2U me.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

just maybe, the person or persons responsible for mutilating cats in real life is someone you know

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

Wow, your explanations are pretty close to what is currently going on in my life. I guess what I am going through can be thought of as a social identity crisis. Thank you.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Well, it did call to mind the following ritual, straight outta the venerable (and totally repugnant) Scottish Left Hand tradition:

In Taghairm black cats were impaled and roasted on fires. Their horrendous screeching would attract other cats and, eventually, a great cat-like creature, the 'cat-spirit' would appear. This entity would grant favours. (This activity is associated with the mysterious Scottish phrase 'Giving his supper to the devil'.)

(Ref: A to Z of Ancient Ireland)

A large and ferocious cat, the demonic god of the cats, appeared in answer to the wicked and ferocious ceremony of the Taghairm, which consisted in roasting successive cats alive on spits for four days and nights until Big Ears appeared and granted the wishes of the torturers. The last ceremony of Taghairm was said to have been performed in Mull and was described in detail in the London Literary Gazette (March 1824). The account is quoted by D. A. Mackenzie in SCOTTISH FOLK LORE AND FOLK LIFE.

members.iinet.net.au...

There is a particularly harrowing description of the Taghairm in The Angel of the West Window by Gustav Meyrink. It should be noted that the color green plays a major thematic role in the book.
edit on 24-11-2012 by Eidolon23 because: (no reason given)

join