It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If One learns HTML and Javascript will I be Internet competent.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
1st) HTML and CSS, are not programming, they are coding.... big difference people.

2nd) If you want to be web literate, JavaScript is a good start, but you'll want to learn jQuery as a replacement, it's much easier and more powerful.

3rd) All the coding and languages you'll need to be successful with web design include: HTML5, CSS, JavaScript (which is different from 'Java'), jQuery, PHP, & mySQL.(Also I forget what it's name is, but there is some transitional mySQL to HTML to JS... language you'll need for setting BB Code parameters in a forum.

That will cover the vast majority of web design, but you'll also need other stuff along the way that consist of graphic design methods. Like photoshop or illustrator to create buttons or input fields or download bars... honestly the list goes on and on, but what is listed above is an excellent route to take.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Expired
My aim is to learn programming for the coming age.
Iam not young anymore but not stupid either.
But I do not know HTML or Java.
I want to become very very competent and manipulate any web page I seeand create my own forums ect.
Iam a creative type but not overly anal so I want to be in relative control.
Is this the way to go?
Thanks in advance for any help.

------------

Hello Dr Expired,

The questions you have asked are probably the most common questions that are thought about and
asked by anyone who wants to accomplish something on the internet.

I want to throw a few thoughts and answers out here for you to seriously think about before you embark on your journey of jumping into any long term computer lessons. I am not trying to be sarcastic with my suggestions to you, but just want to give you some very serious things to think about for the months and years to come.

First, you say that you are not young, but you want to learn how to control the content of your web pages and forums that you want to present on the internet.

The most important things for you to think about first, is " what are your priorities " and what do you really want to achieve online ?

Is it more Important for you to get your ideas and forums out ? or Do you want to also make money online too ?

When anyone starts trying to do Anything online in the internet world,
they very quickly learn what this slang Term means " Just a useless ( Time Burner ) "

In other words, you are looking at months and years of learning computer code, which is a " Gigantic Time Burner "

You are not young as you mentioned. So if you really want to waste your months and years ahead of you learning the " Endless Zillion's of Web Page Code " and get really lost in An " Endless Time Burning Nightmare " then that option is there for you. and BTW - ask any computer coder how many nightmares they have waded through, you can spend weeks just trying to solve one simple coding problem.

However, if it is more Important to you, " To Get Your Message and Thoughts Out " You can just sign up for and use all of the endless Free web pages and Free forums pages. or If you want a more " Professional Look " to whatever you want your web pages and internet forums to look like. Then all you have to do, is to Pay for one of the Zillion low cost web hosting plans that are out there all over the internet, and let them Host your Web Page and Forums for you. That is what most people online end up doing, because it saves them from having to deal with all of the web page " Coding Nightmares " that take years of experience to understand and know what to do.

As you can see from all of the answers you are getting from the coders that have done it for years, even they cannot agree on which way you should proceed. That is enough within itself to answer your questions for you.

In other words, leave it to the professionals that have been in the business for many, many years. and save yourself all of the " Headaches & Coding Nightmares " That way you will start out very Professional looking with your web pages and forums from the git go ! You will also save all of the remaining " Disk Space " left in your brain, so that you can spend your life and time processing the information that you want to present online and to live the rest of your life with.

These are my suggestions on what is really the most important things to think about before you strike out on the endless nightmare road of web page coding, html, CSS, _javascript, MySQL, PHP, XML, RSS and JSON files and On & On it goes.

Plus, you'll be helping the economy by employing a web hosting company !

Seriously though, Really, Really - REALLY - Think about it !

Or do you want to spend the rest of your life looking at and working with something that looks like this Every Day ???

Example:

Image,f=google.lc,e=google.li,g="";d.=d.=d.onabort=)[delete f[e]];f[e]=d;!c&&-1==b.search("&ei=")&&(g="&ei="+google.getEI(j));c=c||"/gen_204?atyp=i&ct="+a+"&cad="+b+g+"&zx="+google.time();a=/^http:/i;a.test(c)& &google.https()?(google.ml(Error("GLMM"),!1,[src:c]),delete f[e])
d.c,google.li=e+1)],lc:[],li:0,j:[en:1,l
[google.fl=!0],e
[google.fl=!0],b:!!location.hash&&!!location.hash.match("[#&]((q| fp)=|tbs=simg|tbs=sbi)"),bv:21,cf:"",
pm:"p",pl:[],mc:0,sc:0.5,u:"c9c918f0"],Toolbelt:[],y:[],x:a,b)[google.y[a.id]=[a,b];return!1]];
window.onpopstate=)[google.j.psc=1];for(var h="ad api bc is p pa ac pc pah ph sa sifp slp spf spn xx zc zz".split(" "),i=0,k;k=h[i++]
(a)[google.j[a]=)[google.j.pl.push([a,arguments])]])(k);
window.chrome||(window.chrome=[]),window.chrome.sv=2.00,window.chrome.searchBox||(window.chrome.searchBox=[]),window.chrome.searchBox.onsubmit=functio n()[google.x([id:"psyapi"],)[var*
edit on 11/24/2012 by chrisb9 because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 1   >>

join