It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Urine Powered Generator

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Urine is not a power source... period.

These women pissed into an electrolysis cell.
edit on 23-11-2012 by ErtaiNaGia because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
So,we can assume this device needs an external power source to seperate the hydrogen from the urine. After it is running, does it generate enough power to perform the electrolysis itself?Is there any power left over? Can it produce the hydrogen quickly enough to keep the generator running? If the answer is yes, than this is pretty cool.If not,well at least their doingsomething constructive with their time and hopefully learning.
As for cooking oil in diesels,yes,it can work,but it's not as simple as it sounds. You can ruin injectors in a modern diesel pretty quickly,and it has to be nice and warm or else it'll get too thick. There are ways of making it more suitable for fuel,although it takes a bit more money and effort. A diesel will run on different things, including used transmission fluid, but if you have a modern,expensive diesel engine, be very careful about what you decide to run through it.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
reply to post by michael1983l

It separates hydrogen from the urine, dries it, and pushes it into the generator to create up to 6 hrs of power on 1 liter of urine.

I can tinkly away about a liter every 2 hours when the beers start flowing.

It would be cheaper to buy gas than to drink a lot of beer
Not quite as fun but cheaper.

I think this technology might Piss off the oil companies and the government might start taxing the piss out of us

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
one question - where does the nitrogen go ?

one statement - urine / urea is a usefull nitrogen source fertiliser

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by xxclaro

I run a 50/50 mix of Veg oil and diesel when it's warm in the summer(bought from supermarket at retail price) in my 1996 Hilux Surf truck. I use about 60/40 diesel/veg mix when it's colder.

It's a 3.0 Litre beastie, but when using 50/50 veg/diesel mix it's 'carbon footprint' is roughly equal to a 1.5 - 1.6 Litre compact car.

Saves about £15 - 20 for every full tank of fuel too. ($30 -35).

I save about 50p per litre (about a third of the cost of a litre of diesel), for every litre of diesel i replace with veg oil.

BUT..you have to either go for an older model diesel vehicle, or retrofit the fuel pump, and injector set on a more modern vehicle for older versions.

Newer diesels fuel pumps just can't take the extra load involved with pumping thicker veg/diesel mixture..older pumps are more robust and manage quite happily.

Some people add a fuel pre-heat stage, so that the warmer fuel is thinner and so will pump and flow through the injectors more easily, or they simply add some other ingredients like a gallon of white spirit, or a couple of litres of unleaded petrol (gas for yanks ;-)) per full tank, or a bottle of diesel treatment additive, to thin down the veg/diesel mix.

I'm happy with the very slight engine performance drop, in exchange for a 30% saving in fuel costs, but engine emissions and harmful gases being released from the car, drops very heavily..so it's good environmentally as well as a money saver.

But in a SHTF situation, while you'd be able to use the entire truck as a diesel generator (run the truck static and attach a lead to the battery while running the engine), sooner or later, all veg oil and diesel will be harder to find than rocking horse poo..so any generator that relies on hydrocarbons is going to get useless quite quickly i reckon.

A better option for power generation in a SHTF scenario, would be one of those 'biolite' (think that's the name) camp stove generators, but scaled right up to provide a useful amount of power.

These use fire/combustion of wood, straw, twigs, hay/dried grasses, newspaper/cardboard, anything able to make a fire as fuel to generate heat for cooking and heating water and also running a small heat - electricity generator.

You'd need a larger version than is yet available, but the principle should be the same as the small one out now.

Or perhaps use the same fuel. but rig up some kind of steam engine attached to an electrical generator.

These four young girls, have come up with a device that require external power input to work...not a great solution to lack of electricity, if you need electricity to make it generate imo.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Gerardine Botte claims the device uses significantly less energy than is needed to extract hydrogen from water and says it could power hydrogen fuel cell vehicles in the near future. Her electrolyzer uses a nickel-based electrode to extract hydrogen from urea (NH2)2CO, the main component in urine. Hydrogen is less tightly bound to the nitrogen in urea than to the oxygen in water, so the electrolyzer needs just 0.37 volts across the cell to oxidize the urea, according to Botte. That’s less than half the amount of energy in an AA battery and considerably less than the 1.23 volts needed to split water.

www.wired.com...

Urine's major constituent is urea, which incorporates four hydrogen atoms per molecule - importantly, less tightly bonded than the hydrogen atoms in water molecules.

phys.org...

Seems like this will be the way to go. It only takes 1/3 of the electricity that water requires for electrolysis and this is pure hydrogen and not browns gas.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join